A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at some pics yes I think some are, however that's not very detailed advice is it?

There will be a whole host of folk on here that will be able to provide stock details for the 'famous' Plymouth Manchester/Liverpool and other long distance trains (was there a Birkenhead?) at times relevant to your layout. There used to be an overnight Plymouth Newcastle (took about 12 hours I seem to remember) that was mostly a mail train, but I only ever saw that with Mk1s. I wonder if that ran in GWR days? (We need Chris F to chip in)

P

I've got the 1940/41 details but not sure about pre or post-war, I'll have a look when I get a chance.

Assuming that you are modelling the final years of the GWR, rather than the Thirties, there is a picture of 3 LMS coaches in GWRJ No41, captioned as c.1947, and pictured at Launceston.

It has LMS No.4347 a Composite (D2117 (1946/47)),a 3rd Class coach with LMS central insignia (D2119 (1946)) and a Brake 3rd (possibly D2123).

Described as a typical LMS 3-coach formation for through North and West services, I assume these coaches were almost brand new at this time and have been borrowed from the carriage sidings at Plymouth.

I think Comet jobs would be needed to accurately reproduce this short rake, as I think the Hornby Staniers are the earlier 1933/34 builds, and Hornby have also neglected to produce the very useful Composite to compliment their 3rd and Brake 3rd.

I know you have the "South Devon" book which gives brief details of the total numbers of (but no details of types of) GWR/LMS coaches used on Cross Country services in Summer 1947 on pp94-95.

• RMweb Gold

Talking of Comet kitbuilt stock and I've retaken some photos of No 275 K42 full brake [1945 batch] in the cattle dock siding shewing both sides.Please be gentle as this was an early attempt at building.I have some more sides to do another inspired by Castle , Taz and others of this parish.Watch this space.

If you don't want to build the bogies for this kit you can always use a pair of Bachmann Collett bogies available as spares.These are the correct 9' pressed steel type.I'll be doing this on my next one.

post-126-0-04241200-1368728421_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80098400-1368728433_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-50075200-1368728446_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80309700-1368728455_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-12049700-1368728467_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Rob,

That is a very nice full brake there - lovely job good sir!

Why not add some gutters to the last set of sides and make it a K41? A bit of brass strip from Eileen's and away you go... It would make for a bit of variety in your fleet.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Does any one else remember the days before Bachmann and the old Lima 4575 class prairie.Well here's one along side the Bachmann one for comparison.I've over weathered 5573 and it has a kit built chassis and other bits but give me the Baccy one everytime.No room for a crew with that flywheel in the cab. :)  Is this where we're are heading back to with Hornby and design clever.

post-126-0-16340200-1368808167_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-44578300-1368808179_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-39207100-1368808192_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

If you've got a loading gauge on Brent, Rob, be careful before you try to run the Lima through it.

Is it sitting too high then Miss P ?

Does any one else remember the days before Bachmann and the old Lima 4575 class prairie.

I converted one of those Lima 4575s into a 45XX using a Crownline conversion kit many years ago. I think the loco cost £8.85 to buy. With mouldings that are now 35 years old (1978 ?), I think it captured the "character" of the prototype quite well, albeit sitting a big high, with a poor chassis, and with a motor that fiercely resisted all attempts at smooth control.

I never got round to touching the chassis or wheels, as I was still exploring the theory and practice of the "rhomboid school" of chassis construction using K's kits at about the same time.

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was 'redeployed' in 1978 whilst shedded at 15A. That prompted a retaliatory resignation soon after and a transfer to Norwood Junction (well Epsom actually but there was no shed there).

Liking the shed scenes by the way.

P

Hi there.

First off what a great layout.  Really inspiring.

Im returning to modelling after a few years.  Im thinking of building a model of Kingsbridge station but as a junction, based on the plans to extend the line from Yealmpton to Kingsbridge, A branch to Salcombe, and onwards to Dartmouth.  My first Question would be would the line to Dartmouth continue over the valley on a massive viaduct or would the line have been build to the rear of Kingsbridge.

Thanks

Darthmh

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

First off what a great layout.  Really inspiring.

Im returning to modelling after a few years.  Im thinking of building a model of Kingsbridge station but as a junction, based on the plans to extend the line from Yealmpton to Kingsbridge, A branch to Salcombe, and onwards to Dartmouth.  My first Question would be would the line to Dartmouth continue over the valley on a massive viaduct or would the line have been build to the rear of Kingsbridge.

Thanks

Darthmh

What a cracking idea for a layout but you need to read Westerners 'Wencombe' layout thread first to give you some ideas.The Salcombe to Dartmouth over a viaduct would be very mouthwatering modelling wise.

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few shots of my Bachmann Manor class 7804 'Baydon Manor' as she sits on Tigley Junction shed awaiting duties.Her crew seem to have gone for a brew. ;) She will need to be turned shortly.

post-126-0-71826500-1368882747_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-65259500-1368882759_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74619600-1368882771_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Ummmmm, B Sets - reminds me of what I should be doing instead of this!

P.

Yes a pair of E129s coming up shortly but not brilliant in close up.A bit like myself really. ;) I've also moved the tree.Lets see if anyone notices.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Yes a pair of E129s coming up shortly but not brilliant in close up.A bit like myself really. ;) I've also moved the tree.Lets see if anyone notices.

Here they are again as promised.Yes I know you seen them before but not this close up.Mallard60022 has also made a pair [2011] and the link shews them in brass and their build.Very nice too.The photos don't shew my coupling between both coaches.Its the BB type available through Eileens.The livery is a bit too early for my layout now but they weren't when I built them.

The whitemetal bars on the bogies really need replacing with wire as they've been distorted with using them.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/31857-gwr-b-set-diagram-e129-x-2/

https://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=6217&category_id=322&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9

post-126-0-46824000-1368898668_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-31157500-1368898679_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-71262600-1368898689_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-16146400-1368898705_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Lovely carriages Robin. Are these Comet models?

I also like the shots of the Manor and agree with 81C (Bob), I also am going to steer clear of Hornby until they sort themselves out.... Let's hope the Saint and Hall are not clever design!

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

.. Let's hope the Saint and Hall are not clever design!

I'm worried for the new release of the Star class as well to be honest.I have two on order.

ps I've moved the largish tree to lower down in the scene. :no:

post-126-0-60109000-1368905733_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

Here are a few shots of my Bachmann Manor class 7804 'Baydon Manor' as she sits on Tigley Junction shed awaiting duties.Her crew seem to have gone for a brew. ;) She will need to be turned shortly.

A few queries.

Is Tigley Junction named after the tiny hamlet situated about the midway between Brent and Totnes, just off the A385 and not far from the line?

Is there a gem of a "turntable", which I have somehow missed, or are we talking Maradona and the power of imagination?

Are the connections from Tigley Junction better than at Brent?

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

Does any one else remember the days before Bachmann and the old Lima 4575 class prairie.Well here's one along side the Bachmann one for comparison.I've over weathered 5573 and it has a kit built chassis and other bits but give me the Baccy one everytime.No room for a crew with that flywheel in the cab. :)  Is this where we're are heading back to with Hornby and design clever.

I actually think the weathering on the Lima prairie is pretty good, Robin, but the higher bodyshell (to accommodate the Lima motor, I believe) is rather apparent in one of the shots... One cylinder appears to be lower than the other, when comparing shots, though, is there a reason for that?

Guest jonte

I'm worried for the new release of the Star class as well to be honest.I have two on order.

ps I've moved the largish tree to lower down in the scene. :no:

With it's reddish hue, this landscape, for me, could only be Devon. Beautiful, Rob.

Jonte

• RMweb Gold

A few queries.

Is Tigley Junction named after the tiny hamlet situated about the midway between Brent and Totnes, just off the A385 and not far from the line?

or are we talking Maradona and the power of imagination?

Absolutely yes and do we have to bring that cheating ba***rd onto my thread.No turntable,imagination.Tigley Junction in reality is just my fiddle yard/storage sidings.

I actually think the weathering on the Lima prairie is pretty good, Robin, but the higher bodyshell (to accommodate the Lima motor, I believe) is rather apparent in one of the shots... One cylinder appears to be lower than the other, when comparing shots, though, is there a reason for that?

Probably CK its the old Percy chassis built quite a few years back not by me either.A crap runner,no surprise there but only shown to compare the Bachy offering.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2