A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I've checked my resources and the 'crew route learning' runs were daily but not Bank Holidays.

As for 'packets', they were as rare as hen's teeth between St David's and Plymouth via the coast route. 

Anyway I think I am getting distracted by the excitement of imagining the 'sisters' swooning when they see something that isn't GWR/WR :D

By the way Rob, there is something that looks suspiciously like a Class 22 (argggggggggh, wash my beak out with lard) on the end of that oil train. 

Quack

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I've checked my resources and the 'crew route learning' runs were daily but not Bank Holidays.

As for 'packets', they were as rare as hen's teeth between St David's and Plymouth via the coast route. 

Anyway I think I am getting distracted by the excitement of imagining the 'sisters' swooning when they see something that isn't GWR/WR :D

By the way Rob, there is something that looks suspiciously like a Class 22 (argggggggggh, wash my beak out with lard) on the end of that oil train. 

Quack

As it happens 'Merchants' should have been as rare as hen's teeth on all routes westwards beyond Exeter as they were barred on the Okehampton route.  And clearly my eyesight isn't as bad as I thought when it comes to, hmm, 'banking engines' on oil trains passing through Brent ;) 

The Merchants were not allowed over the viaduct at Meldon on weight grounds (too heavy for the structure and therefore the possibility that loco and bridge might both hit the ground!)

The crew training runs, both WR and SR, ran on a circular basis out one way and back the other allowing both sets of men to eventually experience both routes in both directions without needing to turn the locos,

Wally

• Like 1

Picture suggests that the weight pressing down would tend to spread the carrying arches outwards, whereas if they were together underneath, the compressive forces would work in harmony and tend to hold together. Then again, I only do model railway engineering    :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well as you can imagine I've been scanning my books to find an excuse to run a Southern train through Brent. ;) I have a vast library for them. :jester:

However all is not lost as in Peter Gray's book Steam on west of England main lines there's a photo shewing Battle of Britain class 34063 '229 Squadron' leaving Aller Junction for Plymouth in 1959.

I bet Spams aint got this one. :jester:

According to the book regular engines during the war were N class with three daily workings including one goods turn but by the 50s West Country Pacifics took over.An U class mogul was used on one occasion.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More familiar stock back on show with black and white conversions of previous offerings.I'll try and get some new shots this weekend in between the S & T department fitting a new home starter. ;)

post-126-0-33200700-1367429020_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-13301000-1367429037_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-07214600-1367429047_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-06357600-1367429061_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-17886700-1367429075_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Well as you can imagine I've been scanning my books to find an excuse to run a Southern train through Brent. ;) I have a vast library for them. :jester:

However all is not lost as in Peter Gray's book Steam on west of England main lines there's a photo shewing Battle of Britain class 34063 '229 Squadron' leaving Aller Junction for Plymouth in 1959.

I bet Spams aint got this one. :jester:

According to the book regular engines during the war were N class with three daily workings including one goods turn but by the 50s West Country Pacifics took over.An U class mogul was used on one occasion.

If you're betting I've not got the book then you have lost. If you're betting on the 34063 229 Sqd then you have also lost! (Mind you, I'm not sure where that particular loco is as it's not in the regular roster for TG). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Fancy 'losing' a loco Spams. I know exactly where all of mine are - oh ouch, my beak is expanding rapidly.......................

Lovely B & Ws Rob. I think it suits the 45XXs.

I've flown over the back of that oil train and it is a van not a heap of shi*e D63XX :angel: ; so what van is it Rob?

Quack

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

so what van is it Rob?

Quack

A toad with a Laira branding.

If you're betting I've not got the book then you have lost. If you're betting on the 34063 229 Sqd then you have also lost! (Mind you, I'm not sure where that particular loco is as it's not in the regular roster for TG). 

I thought you might have the book but not 34063.Its on page 42.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've come across a loco I'd forgot about in the shape of a Bachmann 43xx mogul.Theres a cracking photo in the recent Norman Lockett book of one at Dawlish Warren.Very nice and I'll  try and rustle up a similar freight for her but in the meantime some more of whats gone before.

post-126-0-02486000-1367441198_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-72941400-1367441212_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-59302500-1367441224_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-64510900-1367441242_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-46176900-1367441255_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by a photo sent to me by Neal Ball of this parish I've taken the plunge and bought a Dapol signal.This has been earmarked for the end of the platform at the West end.Despite their shortcomings as discussed in their thread I think they might be ok for me and I'll get some more.

Anyway as you know a drilled hole of 14mm is required and as I didn't plan my layout guess what ? Yes its position corresponds with a cross beam.I've drilled it out but won't be able to use the fixing nut as planned.A bit of luck came my way as I used cork underlay and cutting this away so the base can be hidden was a breeze.When its in properly and wired and tested I will lay some earth scatter over the base to make it disappear.

Maybe if I was braver I would replace the signal finial with a MSE/Wizard casting.

A couple of good posts [261]by The Stationmaster is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53096-Dapol-working-signals-review/page-11

[245] http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53096-Dapol-working-signals-review/page-10

post-126-0-97204200-1367515458_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-45219800-1367515589_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Nice signal. You can get some 'bits' to detail it. Excuse for some signal wire and fittings too. Hours of fun and entertainment whilst waiting for participants on this thread to come up with some really clever captions to your pics.

Quack. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You've started something now Robin with the signals.  Signal wires and point rodding next. :D

Like the 'Plymouth' Toad by the way ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A short freight pulled by 2-6-0 43xx class mogul 4318 gets checked by a signal on Brent. ;) I hope to get this wired up this weekend to allow the train to proceed. :jester: This Bachmann jobbie has had nothing but coal/crew added to it.

post-126-0-34248200-1367599485_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-31580800-1367599501_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-06738200-1367599518_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Nice photo's, you seem to have a large loco fleet different one's in every batch of photo's, I think the wheel rims and rods on the 43XX need toning down a bit common fault with Mainline/Replica/early Bachmann did she reside in Devon can't find much about her.

Your Toads are the numbers on them correct ?, as I'm trying research numbers for mine and not having much luck if they are could you pass them my way please. 

81C

Thanks 81C .Yes the Bachmann loco is a bit dated and too be honest surplus to requirements .Just shewed it for a bit of variety.The toads don't have the right numbers but I do know what they could be as I have a list gleaned from http://www.gwr.org.uk/  

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html

I'm hoping a new version of a toad is released before I do any renumber as I don't want to do it twice. ;)

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Please stop this now, Rob. Looking at your layout and stock, I am getting dangerous thoughts about giving up micros and going for big layouts!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Please stop this now, Rob. Looking at your layout and stock, I am getting dangerous thoughts about giving up micros and going for big layouts!

I've been collecting stock for a long time my friend, its only recently I've had somewhere to run it.Some might say I'm lucky.Your micros are a work of art so don't give them up.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Rob, have you posted any overall shots of the layout at any point? (Sorry if I've missed them).

To be honest I've shyed away from doing that for a couple of reasons really.I don't want everyone to see my junk and untidiness and I think it would spoil the effect of any photos I shew.I'm not a fan of the helicopter type shots favoured by some railway modeller photographers.Of course if its in a magazine shoot fair enough , not on here though as I like to give the viewer some realism if possible and hopefully they will come back for more.I'm not hiding anything I promise.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Love the photos Rob but where are the lamps?

Hi Alan.I've only got round to putting lamps on my decent looking locos.The 43xx is surplus to my layouts requirements as it stands.