The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

52 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Do you model in 1:76.2 scale?

No I model in 4mm to the foot.

At least they are equivalent, I would ask someone who models in proto87 scale whether they are modelling at 1:87 scale or 3.5mm to the foot, because they are not exactly the same:diablo_mini:.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Has anybody here looked at the tyre size on their car recently? My car has 205/55 R 16 tyres, which means that the tyre is 205 millimetres wide, with an aspect ratio (the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width) of 55% and it fits on a 16 Inch rim. Then of course car manufacturers are legally required to provide fuel consumption figures in Miles per Gallon, so when I go to the petrol station and put fuel in it measured in litres I have to divide that by 4 1/2 to work out what my range is (mind you, the trip computer tells me that). 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

63mm is more like 2 1/2".

David

(Honorary Member of the Pedants Society)

Hi Kylestome,

Back in the day the wall thickness of a cast iron down spout pipe was .25" (6.35mm) providing a nominal bore of 2" (50.8mm) which is why it is termed 2" downspout. When downspouts are made from plastic they are given the same outside diameter however the bore will be greater due to thinner wall thickness, this means that with plastic downspout nothing measures 2" at all !

What kind of a pedant doesn't know that pipes are sized by their nominal bore ?

Granted I am a nominal bore to know all this sort of thing !

For added pedantry, in general, pipes carry fluids within their bores and are quoted by way of bore size as this gives flow rate, whereas tubes are used structurally and are quoted by outside diameters for load bearing capacity, wall thickness' are then suited to service conditions in both cases.

Just to confuse matters, locomotive boilers have fire tubes for they support the tube plates which classes them as structural despite flue gasses passing through them from firebox to smoke box.

There are pipes within boilers but they are for steam and water, not flue gasses.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, CameronL said:

Has anybody here looked at the tyre size on their car recently? My car has 205/55 R 16 tyres, which means that the tyre is 205 millimetres wide, with an aspect ratio (the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width) of 55% and it fits on a 16 Inch rim. Then of course car manufacturers are legally required to provide fuel consumption figures in Miles per Gallon, so when I go to the petrol station and put fuel in it measured in litres I have to divide that by 4 1/2 to work out what my range is (mind you, the trip computer tells me that). 

I have a trailer that had austin metro wheels.  They decided to use metric rims on the metro, meaning that tyre size was unique to them.  That means getting tyres for it was a real pain.  However it is still the 4" (IIRC) PCD, so they have been removed and fitted with 12 inch wheels from a 1990's mini, so hopefully no more difficulty sourcing tyres when the time comes!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2020 at 21:08, F-UnitMad said:

I've heard that one before, attributed to visiting American tourists asking the driver of the taxi they were in why there was a beeping noise at the crossing. Allegedly their response was "In the USA, we don't let blind people drive!"

Joining the Grumpy Old Pedants Group today. :mad: :tease:

No, but they let them have gu.. oh never mind, the mods will delete it!

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Caption Competition...

Based on where the Redshirt is pointing his Phaser, he's thinking..... "Turn the tables. Avenge my mates - just pull the trigger. Just pull the trigger...."

Edit: interesting Wikipedia factiod about Star Trek Original Series Redshirts -

"Of the 59 crew members killed in the series, 43 (73%) were wearing red shirts."

Just as well they changed the formula for the Next Generation!

Also if you see a new crew member on the bridge for the first time, you feel like writing a sympathy card, just in case.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I take it that's a place called Macdonalds rather than the well known high street "restaurant"?

In McDonalds you would just have the server telling you the sugar and milk is "over there". You don't think they do it for you do you....

More pedantry I'm afraid. 

Some corrected pedantry.

In McDonalds in Australia, with the coronavirus they have taken away the sugar, spoons, serviettes etc. So now they do indeed ask you, if you want sugar in your coffee. So there.

A completely different world it is with the Coronavirus!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Phil,

I once placed an order for five dozen grinding discs only to be told they only come in boxes of ten.

Gibbo.

But you do have to think a little about that one.

A couple of years ago, I went into a proper bolt shop to get 3/16 x 2 inch bolts.

The guy came back with a packet of 10 and the factory produced label said that they were 3/16 x 50mm! I looked at him and he looked at me and we both shook our heads.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Some corrected pedantry.

In McDonalds in Australia, with the coronavirus they have taken away the sugar, spoons, serviettes etc. So now they do indeed ask you, if you want sugar in your coffee. So there.

A completely different world it is with the Coronavirus!

They are still closed apart from drive thrus* I believe.

But in normal UK ones they have the sugar in the racks with all the other bits. Maybe they don't trust people in certain places....

Only go in them to use the bogs and get free straws.

*Note spelling....

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They are still closed apart from drive thrus* I believe.

But in normal UK ones they have the sugar in the racks with all the other bits. Maybe they don't trust people in certain places....

Only go in them to use the bogs and get free straws.

*Note spelling....

Jason

In Australia, they now do limited seating.

Usually they have sugar and stuff in racks, but not at present.

Some stores have been renamed in Aussie style as  'Maccas' This is the huge street signage. Note the McCafe was an  Aussie invention.

image.png.ee4a47a184c75a7c166d3818d2347ec9.png

Edited by kevinlms
McCafe info added.
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/07/2020 at 10:10, PhilJ W said:

This has been stolen from another forum.

IDIOT SIGHTING No.1
My daughter and I went to the McDonald's checkout to pay our bill and I gave the clerk a £5 note. Our total bill was £4.20, so I also handed her a 20 pence piece.
She said, 'You gave me too much money.'
I said, 'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me £1 back.'
She sighed and went to get the Manager who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the 20 pence and said 'We're sorry but we do not do that kind of thing.'
The clerk then proceeded to give me back 80 pence in change.
Do not confuse the clerks at MacDonald's in  St Albans , Hertfordshire.!!

IDIOT SIGHTING No2
We had to have the garage door repaired.   The repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener.

I thought for a moment, and said that we had the largest one (Company name deleted) made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower.
He shook his head and said, 'Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower.'
I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4 and he said, 'NOOO, it's not. Four is larger than two.'
We haven't used (Company name deleted) repair since.
Happened in Moor Park, near Watford .

IDIOT SIGHTING No3
I live in a semi-rural area. We recently had a new neighbour call the Highways Department to request the removal of the 'DEER CROSSING' sign from our road.

The reason: 'Too many deer are being hit by cars on this stretch of road! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing, anymore.'
Story from Potters Bar, Hertfordshire.

IDIOT SIGHTING No 4
My daughter went to a local Kentucky Fried Chicken and ordered a Taco. She asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.' He said he was sorry, but they only had Iceberg Lettuce.
From  South Oxhey , Hertfordshire.

IDIOT SIGHTING No 5

I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked, 'Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?'
To which I replied, 'If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?'
He smiled knowingly and nodded,  'That's why we ask.'
Happened at Luton Airport

IDIOT SIGHTING No 6
The traffic light on the corner buzzes when the lights turn red and it is safe to cross the road. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged friend of mine.

She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded, 'What on earth are blind people doing driving?!'
She is a Local County Council employee in  St Albans ,
Hertfordshire. (And she's NOT blonde)

IDIOT SIGHTING No7
When my husband and I arrived at our local Ford dealer to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the Service Department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the Driver's door. As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door-handle and discovered that it was unlocked. 'Hey,' I announced to the Fitter/Mechanic, 'it's open!'
His reply: 'I know. I already did that side.'
This was at the Ford dealership in  St Albans , Hertfordshire.

Stay alert .... they walk among us - and they breed!

Enjoy!!

More alarming - they can vote !!! (well, yeah, already have done).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

True story at the builders merchants,some years back....

"Have you got any 2" downpipe?

"No, we don't sell 2" pipe anymore, now it's 63mm.  (We then consulted the tape measure ).

"Fine, what's the price?

"42 pence, per foot.......

I recall the first printing of 1:50k scale Ordnance Survey maps in the early 70s, which were scaled up prints of the latest 1:63,360 (inch to the mile) survey before the entire range were resurveyed for decimal measurement.  One of the legends at the bottom read 'contour and spot heights are rounded up or down to the nearest meter.  The contour interval is, however, 50 feet'.  It was the 'however' that amused me for some reason I have never fathomed (sorry) out...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Titan said:

I have a trailer that had austin metro wheels.  They decided to use metric rims on the metro, meaning that tyre size was unique to them.  That means getting tyres for it was a real pain.  However it is still the 4" (IIRC) PCD, so they have been removed and fitted with 12 inch wheels from a 1990's mini, so hopefully no more difficulty sourcing tyres when the time comes!

It wasn't just a random decision, the Metro was one of the few cars offered with

the option of the Dunlop Denovo run-flat tyres. These only worked on a special

rim profile, so they made them metric to avoid problems!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

A friend of mine in New Zealand was out for a walk and met god.

What are you doing here? My friend enquired. I m working from home replied god.

Bernard

I'm not surprised he has a second home after he carelessly arranged both variable weather and dodgy neighbours for his primary residence, Scotland.

• Funny 8