Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

J7060: the barrier looks like it was home-made with bits from B&Q?? 

Bill

It was a design used in an number of places in the north east.  I think it dates from before B&Q!

David

Nothing wrong with a bit of scenery especially when it's from a time we will never see again.

Exactly. Those latest photos remind me of a week I spent on a narrowboat up and down the Grand Union in 1978 with a small group of friends. We tried to moor the boat each evening as close to the line as possible, and as I enjoy getting up early I would watch the morning trains while others slept off the night before's drinks.

Thanks for posting those. Much nostalgia for me.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A good selection of photos of Brinklow on the WCML. It would be a good project for someone to make a model of part of the WCML at Brinklow getting the railway to follow the canal like that.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

It was a design used in an number of places in the north east.  I think it dates from before B&Q!

This one (or it's  standard brother about another fifty yards further on) used to make me late for school virtually every day from 1970. If the school bus was really unlucky we would catch a train on each crossing. That meant we missed the whole of assembly. Yay

http://m.keithstransportpics.co.uk/Class-37-s-In-Action.html  

Thirty pictures down.

and there's this view.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/pinzac55/21760013

P

Another great set of photos Dave with those Brinklow shots... depending on what day of the week they were taken I'd have been either a) riding my bike fairly close by, b) gazing out of the classroom window just a few miles away or, c) watching those AC electrics whining through Rugby station, as happy as a sandboy.

Keep 'em coming!

• RMweb Gold

Were is the B1  loco you photographed at Bressingham did it end up on the Bluebell?

I know you really meant to type B4 not B1, I am always making mistakes like that.

30102 (LSWR 102) Granville is still at Bressingham.

The one at the Bluebell is 30096 (LSWR 96) Normandy.  It's boiler certificate expired in 2006.

David

C9411 brings back memories of that early IC livery with the tiny loco numbers that were almost unreadable at high speed, and are certainly unreadable on anything other than a close-up photo at a flat angle to the camera.

I believe that someone at BR was having a cruel laugh at spotters' expense, but fortunately they came to their senses.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Great to see the photos of Bressingham. So much to see, and the B4 so diminutive but delightful.

At Carlisle more electric locos, but with a couple of class 90's in the then new InterCity 'Swallow' livery. I agree about the size of the loco numbers - they were virtually impossible to read!

And I think that there were still a few of the class 108 DMU's in use that year, along with class 101 units.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of photo's of Carnforth today. In the first one the visible number of 31247 is somewhat askew. I have not seen very many GP Tramm's, so your photo is especially valuable.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

30 years next year it will be. But I don't think there will be many more after that, for it and the other 144's and 142's are to be withdrawn by 2020 under the new franchise and the disability regulations coming into force on January 1st that year.

With best regards,

Rob.