Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, lmsforever said:

The Coldstream snow photos in the snow are very good ,is that the viaduct you see as you come down into Alnwick form Rothbury?

Yes, you've got the right viaduct.

If you go down the road to the left from the road from Rothbury signposted  Edlingham and then go along the path to the church and castle you get a better view of it.

Fortunately for me it's not too far from home.

David

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DaveF said:

When used to go that way a station could also be seen complete with canopies and goods shed ,suppose its all gone and filled with houses?

If you go down the road to the left from the road from Rothbury signposted  Edlingham and then go along the path to the church and castle you get a better view of it.

Fortunately for me it's not too far from home.

David

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 16:42, Fat Controller said:

..... a location somewhat optimistically called 'Paradise' .....

Apologies for going off topic (re railway place names), but perhaps similar irony to 'Brightside' (Sheffield)?

But perhaps not as dramatic/apocalyptic as a former level crossing (now an overbridge and access point) between Newton Aycliffe and Ferryhill on the ECML called "Linger and Die"!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

When used to go that way a station could also be seen complete with canopies and goods shed ,suppose its all gone and filled with houses?

If you mean the station by the viaduct as far as I know it hasn't changed.

The next station northwards - Whittingham - has been converted into a house, as i believe has the goods shed, but I haven't been to look at it for a long time.

Fortunately in Northumberland there are not too many people outside the mainly small towns.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked on the disused-stations site:

Edlingham: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/e/edlingham/index.shtml

Whittingham: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/whittingham/index.shtml

(pages contain links to other stations on the line)

Whittingham would seem to fit the bill regarding lmsforever's memories, with a relatively large island station with canopies, and a goods shed (there are 'modern' photos, but only in 2006)

The articles states this was due to being built for the benefit of the local landowner - unusual, as a lot of them  discouraged or actively refused to have the railways anywhere near their land! (c.f. the line into Alnwick - " [in 1882], to avoid the Duke of Northumberland's estate north of Alnwick, the line [to Coldstream] initially headed south with the expensive diversion requiring a tunnel and a viaduct at Edlingham.")

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

a quick search shows in 1995 he lived in Akeld , let out Kirknewton and converted Ilderton into a restaurant: https://www.independent.co.uk/property/house-and-home/living-above-their-station-1567138.html

In 1997 he moved to Powburn village, Alnwick until 2014: http://www.thejournal.co.uk/property/property-news/property-gallery-viz-founder-chris-7798758

He sold off his Railwayana collection in May 2016, which included a clock from Ilderton station: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/viz-founder-chris-donald-puts-11325125

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-36293351

Edited by keefer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, iands said:

Apologies for going off topic (re railway place names), but perhaps similar irony to 'Brightside' (Sheffield)?

But perhaps not as dramatic/apocalyptic as a former level crossing (now an overbridge and access point) between Newton Aycliffe and Ferryhill on the ECML called "Linger and Die"!

There used to be, and for all I know still is, a particularly bleak and desolate looking estate of 1950s council flats in Briton Ferry, near Neath, the sort of place with outside balconies that you see the doors being broken down on cop shows; you, know, washing lines, graffiti, needles in the stairwells, and desperation.  It is called Fairyland.

Linger and Die is a spectacularly appropriate name for a level crossing!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Grangetown photo’s which are very interesting and much is revealed about the place in them. I see in the last photo’, with class 101 DMU, on a Middlesbrough to Saltburn service on the 20th February, 1988, that it is the unit to be seen in the earlier set of photo’s. In this photo’ it is also down to two cars from three. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There used to be, and for all I know still is, a particularly bleak and desolate looking estate of 1950s council flats in Briton Ferry, near Neath, the sort of place with outside balconies that you see the doors being broken down on cop shows; you, know, washing lines, graffiti, needles in the stairwells, and desperation.  It is called Fairyland.

Linger and Die is a spectacularly appropriate name for a level crossing!

I'm afraid I have to apologise. Due to an error in my research, I looked at the wrong area of a map and focused on the wrong section of line to locate the "crossing". After double checking, there wasn't a level crossing at this location, a bridge over the ECML at this location has been there for a considerable length of time. The bridge originally carried the 'Chilton Branch' over the ECML. My error is due to looking at a modern map first and seeing a farm track and accepted (without double checking) that this farm track used to cross the line via a crossing, not stopping to think for one moment that the current farm track might once have been an old track bed.

So, despite The Johnsters' "spectacularly appropriate" comment, the current access point "Linger and Die" doesn't take its name from a nearby level crossing. Quite how this spot acquired its most unusual name is now perhaps more of a mystery. Ah well, back to the 'research drawing board'!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML between Peterborough and Grantham photo’s which bring  back happy memories. In particular I like J7576, at Burton le Coggles with Deltic 55015 on a Kings Cross to York service in September, 1981. Just such a lovely view perfectly captured. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Steamport Southport photo’s, and in the last one, with the 4 wheel battery electric locomotive, in June, 1983, you have a photo’ of another quite remarkable little locomotive. It would, I’m sure, be quite a challenge to make a model, 4mm scale, of it.

The  Blyth and Tyne phare as fascinating as ever, and I really like the first one at Winning, with 56129, on a coal train to power station, on the 11th April, 1985 C6801. It is a lovely view of 56129, which captures the glory of those 56’s in how they did work such trains on an everyday basis without pomp or fuss.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

J7981 - I love that picture.

By coincidence, this last weekend I had painted an old Fleischmann Steeple cab loco, to use as a non descript battery loco on my industrial line, and the colours I used are exactly a match to that one. Thanks very much indeed.

I had intended it to be Brunswick but used the wrong pot!! It looks good though.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Hillmorton photo’s which are full of interest. The last one is particularly good, with 87003, on an up express in August, 1980, J7175. The 87 is nicely dusty, and the first two carriages are of interest being an air con TSO and a Mk1 BG. I wonder what was going on?

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

the first two carriages are of interest being an air con TSO and a Mk1 BG. I wonder what was going on?

Possibly the TSO was locked out of use being moved to a depot where it was needed, or an extra due to peak traffic. It looks outside the standard formation tacked on the rake like that.

• Thanks 2