Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Last week I said I had a Bachy class 25 playing up and i was going to sort it out. Well I forgot, until I moved around the loco shed and it made a funny squeaking noise. Off with the body, lowered the bogies. One had a fair bit of muck in with the white, now grey, grease. so I got the lumpy bits out. reassembled, back on the track. Lots of whirring sounds but no going either way.

You guessed it the pillock when he lowered the bogies didn't check if the prop shafts were still in their universal joints.

Take it all apart again, and reassembled but did not put the body on. Squeak squeak it went. Drop the bogies again, and this time check them for any tightness and I removed the block holding the motor. Everything seemed OK and free. So I put it back together, as the second bogie went on I thought I didn't check the prop shaft was in place on the other one.

It wasn't but when taking it apart and lining up the prop shaft a small squeak came from the bearing supporting the worm wheel shaft. Reassembled the bogie and put a drop of oil on both bogies worm wheel shaft bearings. The motor is still a little noisy but it runs better and no squeaking. 

Other than fixing the Bo-Bo I ran a few other trains.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 28/09/2019 at 21:38, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Tim 

We live on the north east Lincolnshire marshes, we are ready. The Environment Agency say we are in a high risk flood area. The locals say last time it flooded was 1953. Well having lived in Essex and worked with people from Canvey Island  they still talked about the flood of 1953 so does that make all of the East Coast  high flood risk?

The village we lived in Essex use to flood every other year and we were not in a high risk flood area.  Our land is boarded by three dykes which at the moment are very low, one is almost dry. 

Saying that earlier this year we did have about 6 inches of lying water in the paddocks, I was working on them and it was like being in a paddy field. 

No need young Andrew, no traffic goes down the lane I walk them. When we lived in Essex the three dogs we had then had flashing collars. I use to set them flashing at different speeds That use to slow the cars down as they didn't know what was in front of them. 

Short answer, yes. In 1953 everything was hit from the Humber round to the Kent /Sussex border

But that's  the sea. No real need to work about the stuff that falls out of the sky. And I don't think a storm surge has come far enough inland into the Marshes  to trouble you since at least the 13th century

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

But looking at photos on the news of a couple of places I know extremely well, Whitby & Weymouth  (Around 350 straight line miles apart and much more distant along the coastline) the storm surge was at least a guesstimated foot higher than most of the expected extreme spring tides.  It got to places that very rarely flood.

In Weymouth the overtopping was with quay walls raised fairly recently  (ten to fifteen years ago?) to successfully stop the regular high tide springs from flooding under Town Bridge and around the slipway area on Commercial Road.

Edited by john new

50 minutes ago, john new said:

But looking at photos on the news of a couple of places I know extremely well, Whitby & Weymouth  (Around 350 straight line miles apart and much more distant along the coastline) the storm surge was at least a guesstimated foot higher than most of the expected extreme spring tides.  It got to places that very rarely flood.

In Weymouth the overtopping was with quay walls raised fairly recently  (ten to fifteen years ago?) to successfully stop the regular high tide springs from flooding under Town Bridge and around the slipway area on Commercial Road.

Clive's 5 miles inland. The last storm surge to trouble his patch may have been 1283

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

Clive's 5 miles inland. The last storm surge to trouble his patch may have been 1283

2.5 miles and only 2 meters above sea level.

And the locals who have lived here all their lives say it was 1953.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Short answer, yes. In 1953 everything was hit from the Humber round to the Kent /Sussex border

Disaster planning one of the (rare) things we should probably thank our governments for. 

Only a few years ago the UK was hit by the same combination of conditions as 1953 - a storm surge resulting from low pressure over the North Sea combined with the peak high tide - and yet compared to 1953, we hardly noticed.  In 1953 hundreds died, thousands were made homeless and the costs ran into £100Ms in today's money (and we got off lightly compared to the Netherlands) because there was no system of early warning and the same problem kept impacting every community down the East Coast, as none had been evacuated.  This century I think the death total was 2 (two) despite the highest water level being slightly higher than in '53; one fatality was a lorry driver whose rig got blown over, the other was an elderly gent on his mobility scooter in Retford, who just happened to be going under the wrong tree at the wrong time.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ravenser said:

But that's  the sea. No real need to work about the stuff that falls out of the sky. And I don't think a storm surge has come far enough inland into the Marshes  to trouble you since at least the 13th century

5 hours ago, Ravenser said:

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

2.5 miles and only 2 meters above sea level.

And the locals who have lived here all their lives say it was 1953.

The house we had at Cleethorpes was 5 miles out to sea in 1953.

The majority of houses in the area had their (rotten) wooden ground floors replaced with concrete, it was a b*gger getting gas pipes from the meter at the front of the house to the offshot kitchen at the rear!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Why do I do this, pick a band to listen to when I am running trains then have a Lima DMU, well two in the same train running around when it is one of my favorite songs? 

I am just running trains tonight, at present I have a three car Met-Cam going to Barnsley and a six car made up two Met-Cam units a 2 car Rolls Royce engine set and a four car with a buffet on a Harrogate express. 

I have another question for you all, what are scratch building aids? Is it a disease I need to be aware of? 

The only aids I have are drawings and tools. OK I buy buffers, wheels , motors etc. But are these scratch building aids for sale, they seem to me as to be incomplete kits. 

Stopped driving trains to have a dance. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Why do I do this, pick a band to listen to when I am running trains then have a Lima DMU, well two in the same train running around when it is one of my favorite songs? 

I am just running trains tonight, at present I have a three car Met-Cam going to Barnsley and a six car made up two Met-Cam units a 2 car Rolls Royce engine set and a four car with a buffet on a Harrogate express. 

I have another question for you all, what are scratch building aids? Is it a disease I need to be aware of? 

The only aids I have are drawings and tools. OK I buy buffers, wheels , motors etc. But are these scratch building aids for sale, they seem to me as to be incomplete kits. 

Hi Clive,

As far as I can make out a scratch building aid is an extremely poor kit that has all sorts of bits missing that require scratch building so that it might one day be complete.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 01/10/2019 at 22:08, Clive Mortimore said:

Gosh, that was like watching a really awkward version of top of the pops... not sure who felt worse, the band, the audience, or me for watching

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Gosh, that was like watching a really awkward version of top of the pops... not sure who felt worse, the band, the audience, or me for watching

Hi Doc

Good you watched it, now you have go and find them on Spotify and listen to them, Hot Pink, Falling Into Me and Ava on their second LP are well worth opening your ears to.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm sure there's supposed to be punctuation in the name 'lets eat grandma' because what it makes me imagine in my head is probably very different from what they intended...

Dr; I found listening to it without watching the video felt much less awkward...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I'm sure there's supposed to be punctuation in the name 'lets eat grandma' because what it makes me imagine in my head is probably very different from what they intended...

Dr; I found listening to it without watching the video felt much less awkward...

Watching the video without listening to it worked for me.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Not watching or listening has worked for me :)

(I'm in work trying to sort an Access 97 BEX error).

21 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Access 97 - wow that takes me back, first database development tool for me and first time I used VB in a database.

ain't gotta clue wot u 2 is on about, off to listen to Let's Eat Grandma they make more sense.

1 hour ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Hi Map

The name comes from punctuation lesson they had at school, so it is up to you if you have prepared a meal for grandma or prepared grandma for a meal.

Anyhow Mrs M is not bested pleased with your company, one of those fast birds that zooms around like a typhoon was extremely low over us today when we out on the road with the little 'orse Ferne. So low you could see Squadron Leader La de da Hyphen Poshname sitting in his drivers seat. She was very spooked by it, both Mrs M and Frene.

• Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

ain't gotta clue wot u 2 is on about, off to listen to Let's Eat Grandma they make more sense.

Hi Map

The name comes from punctuation lesson they had at school, so it is up to you if you have prepared a meal for grandma or prepared grandma for a meal.

Anyhow Mrs M is not bested pleased with your company, one of those fast birds that zooms around like a typhoon was extremely low over us today when we out on the road with the little 'orse Ferne. So low you could see Squadron Leader La de da Hyphen Poshname sitting in his drivers seat. She was very spooked by it, both Mrs M and Frene.

There's a 3rd option too, but even I'm not that deviant and this is a family site...

Well that's not good of them! Normally low flying shenanigans like that would either be out at sea of in specific areas for training. There are exceptions though...... a good option is carrying score cards, giving them a low score doesn't go down well ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Well that's not good of them! Normally low flying shenanigans like that would either be out at sea of in specific areas for training. There are exceptions though...... a good option is carrying score cards, giving them a low score doesn't go down well ;)

There is a document set held at every RAF base - I think it's now called the Defence Aerodrome Manual - which explains how everything is done at that airfield.  Years ago I saw the section in Coningsby's document where is identifies sensitive addresses that pilots should avoid over-flying.  In theory it could just be a retired senior local bigwig who likes the quiet (except for the sound of their own voice) but the list I saw were all farms with valuable breeds of pig, etc. 

Clive, I suggest you just need to ring up RAF Coningsby and say, "Oi, I've got an 'orse.  Leave me alone".  In all seriousness it will take a lot more than that unless you live within about a mile of the airfield or are the local bigwig, but if it persists and your wife and others are at risk when around horses spooked by low level flypasts, it would do no harm to let them know.  Generally the RAF like to be good neighbours.

• RMweb Gold

Round by us they train to fly helicopters and handed out dayglo vests for horse riders so that the instructors and trainee pilots had a fighting chance of seeing them before they spooked the nag.

My late parents used to live at Greetham, one village away from RAF Cottesmore. One of their neighbours was selling their house and the base commander obliged by limiting flying hours for a short while. They weren’t bigwigs, just ordinary people trying to get in with their lives.

Stephens

• Like 4