OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi David,

I'm going to let others answer that for me once they see the model in the flesh.

It's probably better that way.

Cheers

Dave

Dave - have you made any changes to the overall shape since the last prototype emerged on these pages? Or do you still have things to change, these being deco samples?

Edited by DavidH

"Rare" E5010 green FYE selected.  At least it can look a little more at home perched on the shelf display alongside the green Cep and EPB units ;)

Speaking of which, are there any close up pictures of this one? Does it have air vents on the roofs or the corners? (the photo of the real thing suggests corner vents).

As there are only 2 weeks left, I might order this one.....

Next question please, is on E5003, is the model actually of E5018 that was renumbered E5003 when the original E5003 became a class 74?

I ask because I can find no photos of E5003 in this livery, indeed there is a photo of her just before conversion to a class 74 in early 1967 still showing the original green with no yellow warning panels.

I assume therefore this is of E5018 renumbered to E5003 and must date from around 1968. If so, how long did she stay like this?

Edited by JSpencer

Speaking of which, are there any close up pictures of this one? Does it have air vents on the roofs or the corners? (the photo of the real thing suggests corner vents).

As there are only 2 weeks left, I might order this one.....

Next question please, is on E5003, is the model actually of E5018 that was renumbered E5003 when the original E5003 became a class 74?

I ask because I can find no photos of E5003 in this livery, indeed there is a photo of her just before conversion to a class 74 in early 1967 still showing the original green with no yellow warning panels.

I assume therefore this is of E5018 renumbered to E5003 and must date from around 1968. If so, how long did she stay like this?

Hi,

E5010 has the original roof vent not the cab window pillars.

Oh my god. Hattons just announced 2 exclusive DJM 71s with Golden Arrow plates.

http://www.ehattons.com/NewsDetail.aspx?id=82

I,ll probably cancel my plain early green for the golden arrow one (which is exactly what I was after).

Yes; see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112300-hattons-announce-exclusive-dj-models-golden-arrow-class-71s/

• Like 1

It's worth noting here that I received exclusive permission in writing from the Secretary of State for transport to use the golden arrow headboard, logo and arrows for a period of 2 years.

Unfortunately due to the protracted model development the deal only has about 5 months left to run, and so Hattons asking for 2 exclusive models is the perfect answer for the license permission. I recently showed Hattons the model in painted form and they were very impressed with it, and have today ordered the 2 models based on the start of the Golden Arrow service and last run of it.

• Like 5

It's worth noting here that I received exclusive permission in writing from the Secretary of State for transport to use the golden arrow headboard, logo and arrows for a period of 2 years.

Unfortunately due to the protracted model development the deal only has about 5 months left to run, and so Hattons asking for 2 exclusive models is the perfect answer for the license permission. I recently showed Hattons the model in painted form and they were very impressed with it, and have today ordered the 2 models based on the start of the Golden Arrow service and last run of it.

Had a look at the Class 71 on Saturday, looks the part and in my opinion better detailed that the Hornby sample looked at.  Charlie

• RMweb Premium

It's worth noting here that I received exclusive permission in writing from the Secretary of State for transport

Setting Higher Standards

Hobnobbing in Higher Circles

;)

Who'da thunk it?

Hello Dave, I must say I'm very impressed with the class 71. I do have a couple of questions..

Is the Golden Arrow Regila on the Hattons version etched and which nameplate manufacturer are you using for it?

I only ask because it will influence whether I purchase a plain green version or the Hattons GA.

Kind Regards

Chris

Hello Dave, I must say I'm very impressed with the class 71. I do have a couple of questions..

Is the Golden Arrow Regila on the Hattons version etched and which nameplate manufacturer are you using for it?

I only ask because it will influence whether I purchase a plain green version or the Hattons GA.

Kind Regards

Chris

Hi,

The GA regalia is etched ( I don't do plastic headboards, nameplates or number plates).

It's to scale, and as for the manufacturer? You wouldn't know them if I told you, but the source work is bona fide.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

ONLY 12 days to go to be part of history

Order a model Class 71 that is the worlds only successful crowd funded OO gauge mass- produced RTR locomotive.

The model has been seen in pre-production painted samples over this last weekend and i will be showing them again, for those that missed seeing them at the Perth model railway show this Saturday from midday.

If you would like to order one of these very limited edition models (remember the running number and livery combination will NEVER be repeated) then please go to the Kernow model rail centre web site and order.

It will also give you a discount on the class 74 which will follow this class 71 as a way of a thank you for supporting this project. 

post-1144-0-99479400-1466499966.jpg

• Like 4

Personally, I'm wondering whether any magazine is going to do a side by side review of the DJM and Hornby models. Would make an interesting read.

David

I'm sure it will happen, there are some differences in the respective models, that's for sure, and on that basis alone, i welcome a comparison. 

• Like 2

Personally, I'm wondering whether any magazine is going to do a side by side review of the DJM and Hornby models. Would make an interesting read.

David

Well...I think that's going to happen sooner or later on here, however i hope Dave has pulled it off in producing a better product as we need the smaller suppliers/manufacturers to make a profit to be able to carry on giving us these new models at modern standards..

B

I'm sure it will happen, there are some differences in the respective models, that's for sure, and on that basis alone, i welcome a comparison.

Well...I think that's going to happen sooner or later on here, however i hope Dave has pulled it off in producing a better product as we need the smaller suppliers/manufacturers to make a profit to be able to carry on giving us these new models at modern standards..

B

I'd be amazed if it didn't happen on here but as is frequently remarked, there are a lot of people who don't read rmweb (!). I think a properly photograhed and presented piece in a magazine offers a different perspective. Good to see Dave welcomes it.

Ben, AndyY, dibber25 and those from other magazines who lurk here - over to you!

David

• Like 1

Following on from the reportage in these columns about the forthcoming arrival of the DJ Models class 71 I have decided to start again with my OO gauge modeling. I had already ordered two (green) 71's on the crowd funding scheme before I gave up in disgust over a succession of appalling quality locos- I will now keep these two and  I will add one of the Hattons 71's.

I really look forward to class 71's hurtling down my layout just like the real ones used to hurtle through Little Switzerland in times gone by. So I shall have to order some polystyrene blocks to try and simulate chalk escarpment.

I presume it will take a few months to get these models to the UK for delivery - so I shall hopefully have enough time (after gardening duties have been done) to rebuild my layout. I trust that Dave will let us know when the sound chips will be available - these really will, I think, put the icing on what looks to be a superb model!

Good to see that the hobby is supporting this venture by DJM!!!!!!!!

This has probably been asked and answered before, but did the BR blue locos have black window surrounds, or is this already on the list to be corrected? https://www.flickr.com/photos/96859208@N07/9585313398/in/photolist-fB2eJ7

A nice study there showing the direct access to the equipment area from the bodyside doors.

When later converted to ED spec this arrangement caused a couple of hairy moments when engine related fires broke out, the only means of escape being through the cab droplight...

• RMweb Gold

Good lord, that GFY is sooooooooo smart. I've definitely made the right decision, but I'm also tempted by the Hattons GA versions as well.

You & me both.....an attractive duo.Is an outbreak of gluttony imminent...for which there is no known cure ?

Looking at those pictures, it seems to me that the headcode is set well behind the centre window (probably to allow for swapping and lighting)... is that so? In comparison, the version offered by the Other Brand has its headcode much closer to the window.