Hornby announce SR 58' Maunsell Rebuilt Ex-LSWR Coaches

Can we somehow move discussion of the Adams Radial Tank engine over to the thread dedicated to that subject.  The Maunsell rebuilt coaches were towed by many other SR/LSWR locomotives and used on many lines other than the Lyme Regis branch.

I am replying to this topic but I'm doing it under the Hornby Radial thread.

Regards

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Can we somehow move discussion of the Adams Radial Tank engine over to the thread dedicated to that subject.  The Maunsell rebuilt coaches were towed by many other SR/LSWR locomotives and used on many lines other than the Lyme Regis branch. 

Whilst steering well clear of conflicting threads and the best little branch line in the business (I'm unashamedly biased - I grew up in Axminster).

Nice shot (P.79) in An Illustrated History of the Atlantic Coast Express (John Scott-Morgan, OPC, 2010) shows BR 3MT Prairie tank 82019 running round Set 45 at Sidmouth in 1955.

I have also found a couple of shots suggesting that, in the first couple of years after conversion, the 2-sets sometimes featured in Plymouth-Exeter stoppers behind T9s, albeit in the company of one or two other coaches.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had to do a double take on the clue in the video, due to mild disbelief.

Interesting saddle tank in the back ground....

And now with it's own thread.

As exciting as that hint is, let's not completely ignore the running samples of the Maunsell Rebuilt (ex-LSWR 48’) coaches - even though (somewhat ironically) it is not the coaches that are running in the video, rather it is the Hornby's teams "Go Pro" (or equivalent) mounted onto some kind of powered train which unfortunately makes the coaches out of focus with the motion.

(The D16 video in the recent "The Engine Shed" blog was done the same way.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

And now with it's own thread.

As exciting as that hint is, let's not completely ignore the running samples of the Maunsell Rebuilt (ex-LSWR 48’) coaches - even though (somewhat ironically) it is not the coaches that are running in the video, rather it is the Hornby's teams "Go Pro" (or equivalent) mounted onto some kind of powered train which unfortunately makes the coaches out of focus with the motion.

(The D16 video in the recent "The Engine Shed" blog was done the same way.)

Not so out of focus that they don't look superb.

• Like 1

First, second, third or fourth quarter 2016? Anyone hazard a guess? Hoping for first quarter. Pre-order for these in. Bachmann birdcage stock cancelled. I may still get the Kernow gated stock as there have been some indications they may have been used for Southern Padstow-Bodmin services and I am not too fussy about correct years.  As an anomaly I include a GWR B set service to Padstow even though that is post 1947 and would have been BR not GWR.  

I will need my Kernow O2's due by December running before they arrive. The Southern Padstow-Bodmin services will finally have the coaches that were used in the later 1940's.  A year ago I was still scouring EBay for Northstar LSWR coaches.  Most of Hornby's recent sins are now forgiven as they have done penance.

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

First, second, third or fourth quarter 2016? Anyone hazard a guess? Hoping for first quarter. Pre-order for these in. Bachmann birdcage stock cancelled. I may still get the Kernow gated stock as there have been some indications they may have been used for Southern Padstow-Bodmin services and I am not too fussy about correct years.  As an anomaly I include a GWR B set service to Padstow even though that is post 1947 and would have been BR not GWR.  

I will need my Kernow O2's due by December running before they arrive. The Southern Padstow-Bodmin services will finally have the coaches that were used in the later 1940's.  A year ago I was still scouring EBay for Northstar LSWR coaches.  Most of Hornby's recent sins are now forgiven as they have done penance.

There were various lattice-gate-stock pairs and singlies (in addition to the scroll-gate types) and there has been the occasional published photo of these taken at the end of the Hitler war at Wadebridge. So, with very little recourse to Rule One, you can safely acquire two pairs (Bulleid and Mausell green).

Hth

PB

Self edit. With apologies for continuing OT.

Edited by Peter Bedding

Gday all, I am wanting to pre-order some of these coaches to run an accurate set.

I model BR Southern Region in the South West roughly 1950-65. Were they only used as two coach sets or were there any semi-permanent 3 sets. Could someone with more knowledge than me please let me know what ones I need to make up a 2 or 3 coach set.

I have looked at the Southern e group coach allocations list and as far as I can tell it doesn't list these. Have also got a copy or Goulds - Maunsell SR Steam Carriage Stock but just got confused. Any other references for research would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards G. Jones

Gday all, I am wanting to pre-order some of these coaches to run an accurate set.

I model BR Southern Region in the South West roughly 1950-65. Were they only used as two coach sets or were there any semi-permanent 3 sets. Could someone with more knowledge than me please let me know what ones I need to make up a 2 or 3 coach set.

I have looked at the Southern e group coach allocations list and as far as I can tell it doesn't list these. Have also got a copy or Goulds - Maunsell SR Steam Carriage Stock but just got confused. Any other references for research would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards G. Jones

Hello

You will need a minimum of 2 in order to make up an accurate Lyme Regis set:  One D418 and one D99. The others make interesting "loose" additions to your carriage sidings. I would venture to suggest that there is more in Hornby's pipeline to make different sets, but I should not care to guess what these might be. If these first ones sell well perhaps Hornby will be more revealing over the next year or so.

Still far too large a gap in that first image though.

Likely designing in for "trainset curves", I am sure that it will be simple for those for whom that sort of thing matters to arrange a suitable alternative closer coupling that still works on whatever curves they are using.

• RMweb Gold

Simples just use a combination of the Hornby Roco-design Close Coupler and/or the Roco Close Coupler. Most of my Hornby coaches are connected by a combination of these couplers.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Kadees ? But wait until the stock is released before deciding the best option for your track layout.

The full benefit of close-coupler linkages (which I assume these coaches will have) is only achieved when using coupler heads that lock them together to form a rigid unit.

Rocos, and the longer Hornby versions thereof, do that but Kadees (which I use for everything else) don't. If you want to mix and match your coaches at will, Kadees are more convenient but using the Roco type within sets and your usual coupler of choice at the ends will give optimum performance. 

Whatever radius your track is, the aim (on non-gangwayed stock) is to get the buffers in contact, but (if sprung) not under compression, on straight track. The CCUs will then deal with whatever the curves throw at them though you may experience problems if your layout incorporates abrupt changes of gradient within, or at the ends of, curved sections. 

Sometimes, as in the case of the LMS non-corridors, it is necessary to use one Hornby and one Roco head to produce the exact spacing required. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Hornby has gone to town on these coaches. Note how one had proud window bolection surrounds while the other hasn't. Note too the rivet detail on the sides and ends and the accurate low semi-elliptical roofs...and all for what price? Peanuts!  Previously one only had 2-dimensionally etched brass kits and RTR brass accessible only to people who could build or afford. Now anyone from box-openers to builders can have these coaches. The gap between the coaches is not something to moan about, although RMweb does have a track record for this.

• RMweb Gold

Previously one only had 2-dimensionally etched brass kits and RTR brass accessible only to people who could build or afford. Now anyone from box-openers to builders can have these coaches. The gap between the coaches is not something to moan about, although RMweb does have a track record for this.

Spot on Larry, for the price modifying the coupling is a tiny job to put up with ;)

And one which 90% of buyers will not need or want to do

Spot on Colin. I think some members forget that most RTR buyers use trainset curves. We modellers benefit from these splendid models and it is up to us to carry out any modifications to suit our own preferences.

• Like 1