Parkside Dundas

Ben Alder

A little worrying to hear, given how little the Ratio range has developed in terms of rolling stock!  Will Peco just produce what already exist or perhaps downscale some of the 7mm items to 4mm?

• RMweb Premium

Ian Kirk has himself admitted his early models were poor in the Coopercraft thread. It's not ill informed but fact. I've built dozens of the things. I would still buy them, but they need replacement parts. Funnily enough from people like LMS, Bill Bedford and the now departed Mainly Trains.

Does a good kit need almost the entire chassis replaced and new buffers and wheels as a minimum? 

The bodies were good, the rest went into the bin as useless I'm afraid.

Jason.

It's a long while ago but I seem to remember that the original Kirk kits came without wheels.

Philosophically, is it better to have a "poor" (very subjective of course) kit than no kit at all? It was the appearance of the Kirk china clay wagons in the late 1970s - I built, and still have, 20 of them - that kick-started my efforts to model the railways of Cornwall (for better or worse!). And the chassis are better than the Bachmann RTR ones as they have oil axleboxes.

Having said all that, and getting back towards the original topic, I have got a number of the more recent PD china-clay wagons ready to build.

• RMweb Gold

So Dave Franks has explained the future for Lanarkshire Models & Supplies after the Parkside Dundas changes, and it is good to hear this high-quality range will continue.

What will happen to other 4mm ranges that Parkside Dundas sell (and probably do the moulding for) such as the Grand Junction LNWR modular building components and Red Panda's wagon and chassis kits?

Do I need to order any of these within the next couple of weeks to be sure I have enough for my next project?

They did at least show courage by introducing engineering wagons for the modern modeller in the form of the Rudd and Clam. 

Hornby have introduced both wagons in RTR form at very keen prices so I wonder how this would affect the sales on the kit alternate specially as the Clam is a challenge to paint in Dutch livery?

I still do these http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/26184-clams-a-rudd-and-a-grampus/?p=267768 if you want to make that easier.

Jon

A little worrying to hear, given how little the Ratio range has developed in terms of rolling stock!  Will Peco just produce what already exists.....

I think you've just answered your own question there. Peco seem very good at maintaining a range, but don't talk to them about actually expanding it! That means spending serious money!

• Like 1

Not that I'm aware of. The only ones I can think of as being missing are ones that were well past their sell by date such as the GWR Open C, NBR cask wagon and NER coke wagon.

They still even have the CR/LMS iron ore bogie wagon that many experts reckon either didn't exist or was only a prototype. I wish I knew that before I bought five of them.  :senile:

http://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=3340,3344&CAT_ID=3350&numRecordPosition=1

Jason

Although the old Ratio 24t iron ore hopper would be worth reintroducing if the moulds still exist.

Although the old Ratio 24t iron ore hopper would be worth reintroducing if the moulds still exist.

.... but is it correct? I've always had the feeling that it's too short.

Any views on this?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

.... but is it correct? I've always had the feeling that it's too short.

Any views on this?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I think it represents an ex-PO wagon. With a 9' w/b, it's relatively more accurate than the ex-Mainline version with it's 10' f/b.

I think it represents an ex-PO wagon. With a 9' w/b, it's relatively more accurate than the ex-Mainline version with it's 10' f/b.

And there were 100s of different iron ore hoppers. Just squint at a 1950s photo of them, when they were nationalised and all mixed up.

We looked at the drawing collection at Scunthorpe and each year or so they ordered another batch of hoppers and year on year there were small changes which accumulated into major changes after 10 years or so. I also don't think there was an RCH standard for the iron ore hoppers,  but pleased to be proven incorrect.

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And there were 100s of different iron ore hoppers. Just squint at a 1950s photo of them, when they were nationalised and all mixed up.

We looked at the drawing collection at Scunthorpe and each year or so they ordered another batch of hoppers and year on year there were small changes which accumulated into major changes after 10 years or so. I also don't think there was an RCH standard for the iron ore hoppers,  but pleased to be proven incorrect.

Paul

I think I may have used this one before, a Banbury-Bilston ore train c1964/5. The first four behind the loco are different types.

post-9767-0-10507300-1499462580_thumb.jpg

Photo © C E Steele

• Like 2

Paul

As far as I can tell the closest to being RCH is the use of parts to RCH drawings!

From what I have seen over the years is each works had their own design with the closest thing to a standard design is the Charles Roberts version that BR later built!

There were unique shaped hoppers for Shelton, Brymbo and Appleby Froddingham!

Mark Saunders

As far as I can tell the closest to being RCH is the use of parts to RCH drawings!

From what I have seen over the years is each works had their own design with the closest thing to a standard design is the Charles Roberts version that BR later built!

Mark Saunders

So, what we're saying is that no-one can prove that the Ratio models isn't prototypical, provided that it has a Pxxxxxx number !

That's good enough for me.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks for this comment, I was unaware of this.  Could you point me in the direction of a drawing/photo of a Brymbo one?  I could see the works way off in the distance from my bedroom window when I was a young lad.

Sorry if this is a bit OT - but you have to take your chances when they arise!

Edited by 5050

Thanks for this comment, I was unaware of this.  Could you point me in the direction of a drawing/photo of a Brymbo one?  I could see the works way off in the distance from my bedroom window when I was a young lad.

Sorry if this is a bit OT - but you have to take your chances when they arise!

The HMRS photo collection is good source for these and the articles by Geoff Kent in the MRJ a few years ago!

Mark Saunders

The HMRS photo collection is good source for these and the articles by Geoff Kent in the MRJ a few years ago!

Mark Saunders

Thanks. Should have realised Geoff would know!

• RMweb Premium

On a purely personal level, having just recently returned to doing a bit of 4mm/P4 modelling after a few decades, and previously using PD 7mm kits in the 90's, I am pleased/relieved/grateful that PD kits in any form will continue to be produced whether the range increases/decreases/stays the same. Far better than disappearing completely never to be seen again as has happened with others.

Izzy

Thanks. Should have realised Geoff would know!

There's a photograph of a Brymbo wagon on Page 230 in the series. An interesting design, though Geoff admits that photographs of this diagram are very hard to come by. 

Paul A. 

They did at least show courage by introducing engineering wagons for the modern modeller in the form of the Rudd and Clam.

Hornby have introduced both wagons in RTR form at very keen prices so I wonder how this would affect the sales on the kit alternate specially as the Clam is a challenge to paint in Dutch livery?

The Hornby Clam is way too wide though ... I know as I have cut enough of them down to the correct width and struggled to find a matching grey/blue paint to hide the scars of the surgery ( Hannants RAF GR2 Harrier grey ). The Humbrol authentic colour Departmental Grey acrylic is a match only to the Light Grey Seacows they produce!

Mike.

The Hornby Clam is way too wide though ... I know as I have cut enough of them down to the correct width and struggled to find a matching grey/blue paint to hide the scars of the surgery ( Hannants RAF GR2 Harrier grey ). The Humbrol authentic colour Departmental Grey acrylic is a match only to the Light Grey Seacows they produce!

Mike.

Thats an interesting point as I had'nt checked between the two but are you really going to notice that difference? Seems a lot of hard work!

Ian

Another downer for 7mm scale modellers - Tower Models has withdrawn its bulk buy discount on 6 plus Parkside kit purchases due to not getting the same preferential terms from Peco. We'll have to see have much - or how little - discount is offered in future.

• RMweb Premium

Another downer for 7mm scale modellers - Tower Models has withdrawn its bulk buy discount on 6 plus Parkside kit purchases due to not getting the same preferential terms from Peco. We'll have to see have much - or how little - discount is offered in future.

This is entirely my fault - I've been sat contemplating a large order for ages even after guessing this withdrawal was likely to happen.

I spoke to Andrew this afternoon. They have sent their last order, everything is on it's way to Peco now. However he did say that Peco will be able to supply individual sprues in the future. ....

Let's see how many test the system now!

• Like 1