Parkside Dundas

Ben Alder

I'd forgotten about this thread till yesterday, when notification about it popped upon my screen, so to finish the topic off I thought I had better update it. I did do a build of these kits, and posted some details on my workbench thread -http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69241-ben-alders-workbench/page-6-  ( the build is on page 6) so will just summarise here. One or two were built as the D1661 type, mostly with altered doors, and several more as the D1840 with  their modified strapping, and I also made a batch of the post war type with flush sides. This was more of a scratch than kit build, but gave me wagons more suited to my modelling period - the earlier vans being scarce on the ground by then, although I came across a shot of one in revenue traffic at Thurso in 1964, so some were still about although I suspect they were for short haul only by then.

Here are pics of the three variations - firstly the D1661.

post-2642-0-71995600-1479052829.jpg

Then the D1840.

post-2642-0-55842400-1479052818.jpg

And lastly the flush sided type, the diagram number of which escapes me just now.

post-2642-0-18591400-1479052804_thumb.jpg

And a view of the yard with several of the batch waiting for traffic.

post-2642-0-93413500-1479052791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 12

• 7 months later...

Just had confirmation that Parkside has been sold to Peco I knew the business had been up for sale as Richard was looking to retire.

Wish both Andrew and Richard all the best for the future and hope that Peco keep up the good work they have done over the years.

Just had confirmation that Parkside has been sold to Peco I knew the business had been up for sale as Richard was looking to retire.

Wish both Andrew and Richard all the best for the future and hope that Peco keep up the good work they have done over the years.

I hope Peco manage to maintain the excellent customer service that Parkside have given over the years, and that Andrew and Richard have a long, healthy and happy retirement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's what Peco have told the trade:

PECO is delighted to advise our customers that we are acquiring the OO, O and N gauge kit ranges, including all stock and tooling, from Parkside Dundas, as of the end of July.

The business has been in the hands of joint owners Andrew Hastie and Richard Hollingworth since 1986, but with Richard's decision to retire this summer they have decided to split the two former parts of the business, so that Andrew can continue with the Dundas range separately. PECO will acquire the "Parkside" element of the business and transfer production to the South Devon-based Ratio Plastic Kits facility at Buckfastleigh during the summer. We feel that the Parkside range will fit very nicely into the overall offering from PECO, and we see much potential in the range moving forward.

From the beginning of August we will be the sole manufacturer and supplier of Parkside kits. We will market the range under the "Parkside Models" brand and will be introducing a fresh image later this year, with a formal relaunch at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition in November. Until then, it will be business as usual!

We will also be continuing to wholesale the separate Dundas range of narrow gauge kits, which will continue as a separate business, still based in Kirkaldy, Fife.

This is an exciting development and we look forward to working with retailers later in the year to reintroduce the range to modellers up and down the country.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Seems like a good news story about a sale for once. Hopefully this means that the stocking of the range may increase. 

• Like 1

I've built a fair number of these in both 4mm and 7mm.  Excellent and great value for money.  Wondering if Peco will make changes.  One aspect of the 7mm range that I appreciate is the inclusion of transfers, I hope that continues.

John

Alongside Parkside I recommend these too ..................... the 21t MDV is particularly satisfying

http://www.slimrails.co.uk/index00gauge.html

Gone OT But where do they get the idea they were grey in later years!

Paul

PS disappointing about Parkside, I hope they will continue to sell individual sprues at a reasonable price and also to turn up at the main Gauge O exhibitions.

Edited by hmrspaul

Paul

PS disappointing about Parkside, I hope they will continue to sell individual sprues at a reasonable price and also to turn up at the main Gauge O exhibitions.

I think they extrapolated from your photos of the Scottish 'private owner' example; was it McWilliams of Shettleson? The erstwhile Chivers Finelines wagon kits are excellent; they almost 'fall together' out of the bag.

Didn't you know? Grey is the new freight brown.  :wink_mini:

I'm very happy for the Parkside boys now that the news is out. It was always a pleasure to deal with these gentle folk.  I hope the last kit that Richard had planned before his well earned retirement is released before the hand over.

I well remember when Peco took over Ratio it became the norm for no spares to be sold separately. Bang went buying the roofs from their Van B kit to correct the profile of the 12 ton SR box vans. Parkside D came to the rescue.

I've never approached peco for individual spares for years. It might be different now?

P

Didn't you know? Grey is the new freight brown.  :wink_mini:

I'm very happy for the Parkside boys now that the news is out. It was always a pleasure to deal with these gentle folk.  I hope the last kit that Richard had planned before his well earned retirement is released before the hand over.

I well remember when Peco took over Ratio it became the norm for no spares to be sold separately. Bang went buying the roofs from their Van B kit to correct the profile of the 12 ton SR box vans. Parkside D came to the rescue.

I've never approached peco for individual spares for years. It might be different now?

P

Looking at the Peco 'Wonderful Wagons' range on their site, it would appear that van roofs are available, along with printed sides for many of the wagons.

I bought some Ratio LMS van roofs seperately a month or so ago from them.

They were willing to sell me Ratio GWR Coach underframes etc. not long back.

I'm quite happy that Peco now have the company.  Better than someone else I could (but won't) mention!

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

News of the Peco announcement was whizzing round the Exeter show when I arrived this morning.

It is a matter of some relief that these valuable and extensive ranges of kits will be passing into safe hands.

Many thanks to the previous owners for their contribution to our hobby and best wishes to them and theirs for the future.

John

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear the kits are in safe hands. Hopefully they might expand the range too, I kept asking about getting the 7mm GWR N24 reproduced in 4mm to no avail, maybe now with new owners...

I've enquired about coach roofs for the GWR 4 wheelers last year and they are available as spares.