RMweb

Dapol 08

Kickstart

I don't think you'll find that £165 buys you a Sound one, the Sound fitted ones are £399.95 from Tower

You're not wrong Andy, but I believe £165 (on top of the DC version) does buy you the installed DCC chip and sound - hence the question arising out of my hesitation in ordering a sound package of unknown quality.   :sungum:   Maybe Tower or Richard Webster can throw some light on it…….

You're not wrong Andy, but I believe £165 (on top of the DC version) does buy you the installed DCC chip and sound - hence the question arising out of my hesitation in ordering a sound package of unknown quality.   :sungum:   Maybe Tower or Richard Webster can throw some light on it…….

Yes my friend, I see where your coming from now.

Out of interest, when I had a Bachmann O Gauge Pannier South West Digital supplied me with a Standard OO Sound chip (£100 plus Bass Enhanced Speaker) as the Motor was only drawing a low current, It worked fine as did my O Gauge Ivatt with a Mashima Motor and OO Chip and TWO Speakers. I will be asking Caroline at SWD if the Dapol 08 will be the same, and save a few bob.

• Like 2

Think it was D3052 - was allocated 08039, but not sure if it carried that number in black.

I'm still searching for that colour shot of the black one at Willesden but in the meantime I came across a colour shot of 08 921 still in green on Willesden Shed dated 20/7/75, which in itself would make a lovely model.

Hi,

One of Steve Jordan's books has a photo of D3052 in black with 'lion over wheel' at Willesden in 1974, after withdrawal in December 1973. The '3052' numerals look like they're the original 13052 with the '1' painted over with a small 'D'.

• Like 1

Hi,

One of Steve Jordan's books has a photo of D3052 in black with 'lion over wheel' at Willesden in 1974, after withdrawal in December 1973. The '3052' numerals look like they're the original 13052 with the '1' painted over with a small 'D'.

That'll be the pic I was thinking of then Hippel, I have Steve's 08 books but had forgotten what was in them! (they're stashed away somewhere at present while we do some work on the house).

So would black liveried Locos with yellow chevrons have been a distinct rarity? I imagine application of chevrons would have accompanied a repaint to green or blue?

And just to show how little I know about oil era liveries, from what year would chevrons have appeared on black 08s?

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn more about these engines?

EDIT:  Just found an excellent online resource answering my queries - all sorted.

Edited by Osgood

I have to say I have never seen a black one with chevrons. It is a very appealing livery, but is it unique? I suspect it is. I didn't think the wasp stripes were applied until after 1960, but that all or certainly most were green by then.

Ed

I think once these models are thrust upon us, we're all going to get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction modifying and fettling them so that almost no two will be alike. The variations in livery / time period detail applications are probably endless, a case in point being these lovely cabside details on 08 201 : built 1956 as D3271, renumbered into Tops c.1974, seen here in 1980 with a 1968-73 period data panel sticker and a 1973 onwards Eastleigh shed sticker, with evidence showing of another early style data panel sticker beneath the rail blue paintwork...

post-7638-0-08444700-1461422473.jpg

• Like 3

Yes my friend, I see where your coming from now.

Out of interest, when I had a Bachmann O Gauge Pannier South West Digital supplied me with a Standard OO Sound chip (£100 plus Bass Enhanced Speaker) as the Motor was only drawing a low current, It worked fine as did my O Gauge Ivatt with a Mashima Motor and OO Chip and TWO Speakers. I will be asking Caroline at SWD if the Dapol 08 will be the same, and save a few bob.

The sound chip that will be fitted is a Zimo MX644D, basically a V4 sound chip which is ok for OO Gauge as well.

Digitrains have quite a nice Class 08 on ZIMO 644D available now with all their ActiveDrive features. (If you don't know what these are, you are sadly missing out on authentic controllability).

I have one in my Brassworks 0 gauge 08 and it works a treat.

Decoder £82, add a speaker of your choice. (large bass relfex like DSS 229 at £6.68 works realy well.

Here's a 00 model with itinstalled. Only a sugar cube speaker in this one, imagine what you get with a bass reflex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxPIFHyb5hQ

Kind regards,

Paul

Digitrains have quite a nice Class 08 on ZIMO 644D available now with all their ActiveDrive features. (If you don't know what these are, you are sadly missing out on authentic controllability).

I have one in my Brassworks 0 gauge 08 and it works a treat.

Decoder £82, add a speaker of your choice. (large bass relfex like DSS 229 at £6.68 works realy well.

Here's a 00 model with itinstalled. Only a sugar cube speaker in this one, imagine what you get with a bass reflex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxPIFHyb5hQ

Kind regards,

Paul

Sounds nice but unfortuntely an 08's engine RPM doesn't increase in notch 1 or two, you get more more to the traction motors via resistance banks, so you shouldn't hear any change in engine note.

Sounds nice but unfortuntely an 08's engine RPM doesn't increase in notch 1 or two, you get more more to the traction motors via resistance banks, so you shouldn't hear any change in engine note.

Yes, that's all very true, thanks for the opportunity to expand.

The video is just a taster of the sounds possible and does not show all the possible departure types, one of which is loco movement without rising engine RPM as you acurately describe.  

Fortunately, the comprehensive sound controls in ZIMO sound projects makes it perfectly possible to move the loco without the engine RPM increasing.

Indeed, so comprehensive are the controls that there are two different ways to achieve exactly the simulation you point out is missing from the video.

1 ) Use the 'light engine' mode by engaging F5 before moving. As well as preventing engine RPM increase at low speed, the values in CV3 (inertia) and CV4 (momentum) are reduced to relect the absence of a load (i.e. light loco accererates and decelerates more responsively than when in 'Heavy' mode), and the braking force applied by the dedicated Brake Key (which will actually slow the model to a halt, as I also noticed that the 08s  have a brake control) is automatically adjusted to allow for the lower mass of a light engine.

2 ) Alternatively, use F6 before moving to hold the engine RPM at idle.

In fact the latter is a very popular feature of all my diesel electric projects which has been a included for several years. It can also be used as one of three different ways to induce coasting sounds. (The other two ways are via throttle movements).

The operation of the features above is explained in the User Notes, specific to each loco type, which accompany all purchases from Digitrains.

I am pleased that you approve of the actual sounds.

In future, I'll try to make my videos as comprehensive as my sound projects to avoid such confusion.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We've got ours on order due around September Dapol say can't wait. We've got several customers with them on pre order with us. I saw and handled a sample at Telford, very impressive and as a retailer Dapol were more than happy to let me handle it and have a good look.

Tempted to say "about time" they listened, but un-numbered is an excellent option! Must update my Hattons PreOrder!!

Incidentally Hattons are quoting June as delivery due.

Edit: Hattons have updated my order to the un-numbered TOPS version, no problem at all. ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad

I know it's jumping the gun but there are some good cab interior shots online, especially on Flickr. I hope Dapol have made it easy to get into the cab, at the very least it's going to need a driver. The biggest problem is going to be recreating the smell of the frying sausages.

I model the LBSCR in the 1880's and I've ordered an 08...there's just something about them!

Peter

….

I model the LBSCR in the 1880's and I've ordered an 08...there's just something about them!

Peter

In all seriousness I reckon an 08 could wear Stroudley's improved engine green livery really well - go for it!