Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Oh no!

How many Pecketts is it morally right to own?

In conceptual terms, I find that I need quite a lot, certainly more than what I currently have but aesthetically a nice round number is 3. Wherefore art thou, O third Peckett? Shall I sally forth on the morrow and search thee out?

I don't need another one but those black fellows do look superb!

100% agree, CK. However one is awaiting the arrival of another green chap. 560 is due later this year and will look nice with dear old DODO.

The trouble is, what do you do with two?........Do we build them somewhere to play?

Rob.

• Like 2

100% agree, CK. However one is awaiting the arrival of another green chap. 560 is due later this year and will look nice with dear old DODO.

The trouble is, what do you do with two?........Do we build them somewhere to play?

Rob.

560 is reported as due next month, even Hornby say it arriving soon!

• Like 1

Saw one in the wild today at a local model shop here in Melbourne though I know a few have been through the model shops here. I thought it looked very nice. I think I will just stick with my MSC version. Still tempted by the pea green version though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finally got my own Peckett today - only to leave it at work!

Quick question on the Lilleshall (black) version. The artwork shows the chimney to be plain, but there is a little valve like assembly on the model, which is no problem to me.

Curious - what is it?

It should be a displacement lubricator. As the locomotive works, some steam is diverted to the lubricator body. This cools, turns to water, and displaces some oil to be used inside the locomotive valve gear.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, we do. Of course we must. It's only right and proper.

Preferably somewhere in Mid Wales that's run-down, overgrown and a long way from anywhere else.

'

Slough ? "Come friendly bombs and drop on Slough".......etc.Mid Wales being overrun by tourists from the right bank of Offa's Dyke ATM.

Haverfordwest....for those of us geographically disadvantaged....is in West Wales.I am stil chuckling over a recently heard howling mispronunciation by a well known BBC TV presenter. Porthmadog (used to be known in the days before PC as Portmadoc) went something like...."Pawth....ma...dog"

Forget Mid Wales..not much left now..

Pleased to report that all is now well - the loco was initially running slower than my earlier MSC version and had the distinct 'limp' mentioned, but 60 minutes going round and round and (despite all the grease) re-lubrication of all the usual points and it is now running very well indeed. Quite a relief - I don't like sending things back, but would have if it had not improved.

Interesting - I had the white grease problem on a couple of other locos (one not Hornby) but my black Peckett had virtually no grease that I noticed, but also tended to stop at irregular intervals but when nudged sideways took off again. As layout is all curves I looked at pickups - to find that they were not in constant contact with backs of wheels. When I moved the wheels from side to side there is quite a lot of sideplay to them.. Undoing 2 screws on underside holding plastic base plate on means you can get to the pickups very easily for adjustment outwards (pickup plate is a separate item connected to internal wiring by some very neat plungers so it comes away completely) . Once I had also sorted out a dodgy track connection (it was only locco so far to detect it !!)  it ran v well indeed will tow at least 8 coaches without complaint - very happy with it.

Porthmadog (used to be known in the days before PC as Portmadoc) went something like...."Pawth....ma...dog"

Forget Mid Wales..not much left now..

Don't start me off !!!

Portmadoc was established as Madock's port by William Madocks.

Tremadoc is part of Portmadoc and literally translate to Madocks' town - tre translating to town in Welsh. The Welsh spelling / phonetic of Madoc mutates to "Madog"

I have absolutely no issue with the Welsh wishing to retain and promote the language, but to Welshify names which have existed for centuries - not so keen.

Classic case - Welshpool. Seems it is not Welsh enough and is known by some as Y Trallwng. 

• RMweb Gold

Don't start me off !!!

Tremadoc is part of Portmadoc and literally translate to Madocks' town - tre translating to town in Welsh. The Welsh spelling / phonetic of Madoc mutates to "Madog"

I have absolutely no issue with the Welsh wishing to retain and promote the language, but to Welshify names which have existed for centuries - not so keen.

Classic case - Welshpool. Seems it is not Welsh enough and is known by some as Y Trallwng.

You are 100% correct...but I am neither a 'gog' nor a speaker of Welsh.Born & bred south of the Mason-Dixie line or the Brecon &Merthyr to the uninitiated or linguistically disadvantaged.

"Lilleshall " is a little black beauty...but I already have the first two and another on Derails order books.This colour suits the engine a treat.

• Like 1

Don't start me off !!!

I will just say 2 words

Snewcer

Rygbi

An egregrious case of cultural misappropriation, methinks...

I remeber listening to a couple of Welsh garage mechanics talking away in welsh to pull the wool over the ears of a distressed English motorist.  The occasional English word would pop up, like brakedrum or clutch or similar.  Nowadays, I should imagine they've converted technical terms too....

• RMweb Gold

Roeddwn i'n meddwl bod hyn yn ymwneud â Pecketts?

Just saying..

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I remeber listening to a couple of Welsh garage mechanics talking away in welsh to pull the wool over the ears of a distressed English motorist.  The occasional English word would pop up, like brakedrum or clutch or similar.  Nowadays, I should imagine they've converted technical terms too....

That would have been my father, c. 1977, somewhere in the wilds of mid-Wales between Birmingham and Borth. He said the only phrase he understood was "Morris 1300".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Roeddwn i'n meddwl bod hyn yn ymwneud â Pecketts?

Just saying..

Rob.

Google Translate: "I think this is about Becketts?" Anywhere near?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Da iawn, Ian.

This type of thing ( though this not a W4).

Kilmersdon Colliery.

I need to model this for sure.

Rob.

post-14122-0-45175600-1532849088_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Rob.

Put them in a yard together and hope for a third :jester:

Edited by Caledonian

Google Translate: "I think this is about Becketts?" Anywhere near?

Oh lor.....  Now we're waiting for Godot?

Put them in a pen together and hope for a third :jester:

I was going to suggest putting them in a dark engine shed together.  You'd probably get quicker delivery than via Hornby!

Oh lor.....  Now we're waiting for Godot?

I was going to suggest putting them in a dark engine shed together.  You'd probably get quicker delivery than via Hornby!

Bit like Buses really. we have just had one and another Hornby tell us is on its way (on the boat about4/5 weeks till arrival) the next due in November ? then two more in April/May next year. Well maybe !

Edited by johnd