Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

A quick pic before the spanners come out.

attachicon.gifPeckettMedalling-80-EditSm.jpg

"Pretty little loco".

P

You'll be making a grave error if you hack this one uncle Poursee

There are quarter of a million Pecket lovers in Britain and they'll be made to suffer. Every model railway club, exhibition and open day in London, Liverpool and Glasgow will be up in arms...

Edited by Axlebox

You'll be making a grave error if you hack this one uncle Poursee

To late!

Metal cuttings and swarf was already falling to the floor as you were typing.

(I'm not lazing about in Monaco wearing a banana panama).

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

The one I posted a few days ago was bought from Hattons, having been ordered as soon as they were announced. I had intended to build a layout for the Cameo Layouts competition and the idea was to have a pair of the black Pecketts as motive power. I ordered one from Hattons and one from my local model shop. Partly to support my local shop and partly to ensure supply after the first wave of Peckettmania.

The one from Hattons arrived, invoiced at £83 and whatever pence, including postage. imagine my shock when the local place phoned me to let me know the Pecketts were arriving imminently and the price was £99.99! I had done the same thing, last year, with a pair of Oxford Rail Yorkshire Janus diesels and the price from each supplier was the same overall (the Hattons one obviously including postage) so I really didn't expect that. I don't mind the £4 price of postage difference but 20 quid over the Hattons price is taking the Michael and so  told them I'd changed my mind and no longer wanted it.

Is Peckett mania a flash in the pan? I ask this as the price seems a bit 'silly'.  I'd guess that to keep the price up, Hornby will have to short order the locomotive.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Well I received 4 black Pecketts, two I ordered from Derails, and 2 I forgot I ordered direct from Hornby when they were first announced.

So Hornby has got 2 in stock, as I returned theirs... I like black pecketts but I didn't need 4 !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

Praise for Topp trains of Stafford for including me on their shortlist of Lilleshall Pecketts. Collected it last week and just got round to fitting it with the Hornby X9659 which they also kindly supplied. A little tip when dismantling, the rear chassis screw is not the rear coupling screw !! I couldn't get the body to release from the chassis then found the other screw !!!

The model ran as smooth as silk straight from the box but running in then adding the decoder - simply stunning.  I don't have many Hornby locos simply they don't do much of what I want, but this model may well be one of mine finest RTR purchases, and I am sorry Hattons but much as I like the AB, it is the poorer cousin. 

Now onwards with my mineral railway !!

• Like 1

I see that R3615 (Works Green No 560) is vanishing forward into the mists of time with extreme rapidity.  First it was due August, then it became September (Current Hornby ad in the Hornby Magazine has it described thus).  According to the Hornby Website its now going to be October.  Though the arrival of Lillenhall has eased the ache for yet another Peckett, its a pity that Hornby still don't have their finger on the pulse* of China Manufacturing and things are drifting.

it'll turn up some time next year, mark my words!

* Or their hands around their necks for that matter!

At last.......

After missing out on the original batch that were released towards the end 2016 I thought I would get in early for the newly announced Lillesshall Co. example that was to be ready for August/September 2017, finally it has arrived. The model is lovely now I have handled one, I agree with others that the whistle is not going to last long and is already very wobbly (will probably get replaced with a brass turned one), the lubricator on the chimney is at a bit of a jaunty angle, but overall well worth the price. Which BTW was £92.99 including Hornby decoder and postage from Rails, who did hold the order price of £74.50, result.

I have run it in this afternoon and fitted the said Hornby X9659 decoder, most impressed with the body removal and decoder fitting. Sadly running on the layout with the decoder is not wonderful so I will have to do some investigation to see if it is the pick-ups or the decoder itself.

post-3433-0-17023600-1534024996_thumb.jpg

post-3433-0-17023600-1534024996_thumb.jpg

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Like 6

Probably the decoder, can you not test the loco on dc. I use an oval of Kato Unitrack on the floor to dc test locos before decoder fitting. Never used the Hornby decoder as its pretty basic in functions (cannot tweak the top speed for example) and the have a TCS M1 in my H&P one.

I ran it in on a rolling road on DC, then did an up and down test on the layout.

I generally like and use Gaugemaster decoders, but naively thought that as the Hornby one was special for these locos it would therefore be small, when I read later that it is just one of their R8249 decoders fitted with a 4-pin plug I was disappointed. I would have been better off with an M1 or a DCC22.

The erratic behaviour turned out to be dirty wheels, probably picked up on the rolling road; she runs beautifully now, although a dead spot on the layout is proving a problem for the short wheel base.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Plenty of R3550 still in stock at retailers. Is it the usual scenario where the first release sells like hot cakes but subsequent versions linger or is it just people holding out for prettier versions?

Maybe, maybe and maybe timing too..it’s holiday season and both time and cash are on other things.

Interesting that the first three still command a premium.

I think the black one will soak up. It’s the duplicates that are literally historical repeats of the same old Hornby, two works Green ones I think may linger unless the sizes of the runs are small, as it’s puts 3 in the same livery out there.

The world has changed since the first three appeared, there is a Barclay now, and the Horizon has 5 more Pecketts on it.

I had a Peckett re-evaluation and canceled my two works green ones and my plans for another H&P one instead sticking with 6 is enough now (1st 3,plus two black and a PLA one) as it looks supplies will be plentiful there’s less need to buy it now, indeed I may let one, possibly two go.

Indeed when I accidentally ended up with 4 Black ones, I did think “what if” for a minute, but then decided I’d return the two duplicates.

I am hoping Hattons do some more Barclays, Or someone else announces an industrial 0-6-0 and / or that HC ever does appear. I’m sure there will be long term sufficient demand for the Peckett, indeed I hope Hornby exploit the cylinder size, cabs and tanks to do some alternate variations, but I think the craze is over.

In short Hornby gave us 3 things no one had ever done before, but left it too long for the follow up.

Edited by adb968008

Plenty of R3550 still in stock at retailers. Is it the usual scenario where the first release sells like hot cakes but subsequent versions linger or is it just people holding out for prettier versions?

Hard to say, Sold out at Hornby, Rails and Hattons are now at the full RRP indicating they don't have that many left, a quick search for discounted ones didn't turn up that many most around the £90 mark.

• RMweb Gold

Hard to say, Sold out at Hornby, Rails and Hattons are now at the full RRP indicating they don't have that many left, a quick search for discounted ones didn't turn up that many most around the £90 mark.

Yep and now also sold out at Derails, Bure Valley Models, Gaugemaster and Model Railways Direct--so pretty popular it seems. 

cheers,

Keith

Once upon a time, of course, retailers actually having things in stock was considered normal. Maybe it's a sign of the times that we've all been so conditioned by Limited Editionitis and Pre-Order Mania that something being in stock is seen as an aberration, or a sign that a model isn't popular.

In reality, people do still buy off the shelf, and both manufacturers and retailers benefit from having enough stock available to meet that demand. The Peckett is, in many ways, a perfect fit for that market sector. It's small, it's cheap, it's attractive - it's the kind of thing which has strong impulse purchase appeal (and also strong gift purchase appeal, which matters more to Hornby than other manufacturers). But it has to be on the shelves for people to buy it off them.

Bear in mind, too, that the Peckett has, by now, almost certainly more than covered its development costs. Indeed, with the number that have already been sold, it's moving rapidly into cash cow territory. And, for that, it doesn't need to sell out every time there's a new livery. It just needs to be there for people to buy.

• RMweb Gold

The latter, if anything, but Hornby don't have any left and the "usual suspects" have stopped offering any significant discount, which suggests they are shifting fairly well.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Yet over on that great Arbiter of Demand, Ebay, I count fourteen Hornby Pecketts, all but one being at sensible prices.

P

But not at lets get rid of quick prices, as ADB says the world has moved on, the Barclay has taken some of the sales but still the second run of Pecketts I would say has more than wiped it's face for a second run.

Bear in mind, too, that the Peckett has, by now, almost certainly more than covered its development costs. Indeed, with the number that have already been sold, it's moving rapidly into cash cow territory. And, for that, it doesn't need to sell out every time there's a new livery. It just needs to be there for people to buy.

And in most instances, unless sale of return or concession (If Hornby still do that?) once the retailer has paid his invoice, it's money on the plus side of Hornby's ledger regardless of how long they sit on a shelf.

P