Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Still nothing from Rails about mine, I am a bit worried as I ordered it 18 months ago!

When did others order theirs?

Why not give them a ring and ask?

Bit old skool I know but..........

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Still nothing from Rails about mine, I am a bit worried as I ordered it 18 months ago!

I don't think you're alone, my order is still showing as 'pending' and I ordered in June '17.

cheers,

Keith

I haven't received despatch advice from Rails yet, however as I have a Maunsell restaurant carriage on order, which is expected to be with them today or tomorrow, I'm assuming they will be despatching the two items together.

Had the Lilleshall peckett delivered today after ordering it off Rails on thursday since they are one of the few who actually has stock in. I missed out in the previous batch as I was still working in N gauge but since then I have been working slowly upon a very small shunting siding layout for 1-2 locos and couple of wagons.

First impressions after getting out of the box, what a dinky little locomotive is is compared to other rolling stock size and wow, that weight to the loco which is a big thumbs up for such a small wheel base loco. For something so small to have a good heft of weight behind it is a excellent bit of model engineering for this loco and well done on Hornby's part for engineering it this way.

Running wise mine runs extremely smooth along the track, was a minor bit jittery at first but that generally happens when you get them brand new and after abit of oil drops and some cleaning of the track was nessessary to which is kinda the norm it ran just fine. I can't stress how important it is for this loco to have clean track running, it may have all wheel pickup but its a very small amount of contact with the track and I used N gauge discipline in this regard for a spotless track and ensure fishplates are tight aswell on the track.

This is another point I'd like to make, if your in the UK you know how hot it has been lately and I've noticed movement on my layouts track due to just how hot it has been even in a temperature controlled enivironment. The humidity and blistering high temperature will be having effect on track aswell as fishplates and maybe wiring to, so keep that in mind if the loco doesn't run as expected or you are having issues in general, it could simply be down to the weather.

In regards to the looks and livery, I find this black liveried release to be perfect, I know the other liveries are prototypical for where they worked, but I like darker colours (I would have got the blue liveried one in previous release) so having a all over black with red buffers and red connection rods is really nice to have. The detailing on the locomotive is also incredible considering its probably one of Hornby's smaller sized locomotives aswell. Cab detailing is on par with the high standard of bigger locos and I would compare it detail wise to some of the graham farish detailed cabs in N gauge which have been seen recently to.

I'm quite happy with this lovely little locomotive and it brings back fond memories of a BBC steam VHS set which documented the end of steam and had a section based upon a small industrial locomotive working still in the 80s at a powerstation shunting coal wagons into place and how the driver told about his affection for the locomotive he was driving even though he knew eventually it would be retired.

• Like 8

Still haven't received my Peckett from Rails, ordered on 6th Feb 2017 to ensure I got one; they took the money on Friday but haven't despatched yet! :(

EDIT:

Just called them, the PayPal payment had not automatically updated the order, they have sorted it now and it will be despatched in the next couple of days; watch this space.

Edited by gz3xzf

• RMweb Gold

Still haven't received my Peckett from Rails, ordered on 6th Feb 2017 to ensure I got one; they took the money on Friday but haven't despatched yet! :(

My Rails Peckett order still says 'in progress' (when I checked this morning), and I ordered ay back in June 2017--a bit odd that an order placed on Thursday this week is delivered today, but (some of?) those of us who ordered yonks ago are still waiting delivery!

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Work in progress on my Peckett to represent an open cab version with dumb buffers as seen in and around Dibles Wharf that will make an appearance at 'nearby' Canute Road Quay weathering still be finished...

post-243-0-36725200-1533385182_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-21357900-1533385190_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-96758700-1533385197_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-36725200-1533385182_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-21357900-1533385190_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-96758700-1533385197_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 17

Had the Lilleshall peckett delivered today after ordering it off Rails on thursday since they are one of the few who actually has stock in.

Quite a lot of places still have them

We still have more than 10 in stock, and have for two weeks.

Quite a lot of places still have them

We still have more than 10 in stock, and have for two weeks.

All at RRP or close to it. Last time you could still get H&P Pecketts for a few weeks after release. I got one from Hatton's for about £67.

Then they sold out and then the prices rocketed....

Jason

post-494-0-31273000-1533403250.jpg

post-494-0-47482400-1533403267.jpg

Work done:

Cab upper rear cut off using a razor blade.

Handrails painted and polished with Humbrol metalcote "polished steel".

Additonal metalwork painted as above, on cabsides and rear.

Pipework along boiler painted copper-coloured.

Buffers drilled out and parts that should be painted red have been painted red.

Printed works plate removed and replaced with etched brass item - printed works plate is overly large.

Smokebox repainted with off-black matt paint.

Bodywork polished using T-cut, which leaves an extra shine in places but gives a weathered appearance in areas that are difficult to get to.

Hideous couplers thrown in bin and replaced with Dinghams.

Driver figure added.

Name plate fitted.

Front hand rail replaced with straight item because I liked the straight one on the MSC Pecketts but missed out on getting one.

Lower part of firebox painted and dusted with rusty weathering powder.

Whistle replaced with whitemetal item of different design because the standard item broke within minutes of taking the model out of the box!

Sorry i skipped the unboxing vid. It was going to epic, directed by Taratino and voiced by Samuel L. Jackson but neither would do it for the five quid that I was offering. Ah well, never mind, eh?

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14

My Rails Peckett order still says 'in progress' (when I checked this morning), and I ordered ay back in June 2017--a bit odd that an order placed on Thursday this week is delivered today, but (some of?) those of us who ordered yonks ago are still waiting delivery!

cheers,

Keith

My only suggestion would be to contact rails about it, it could be a payment issue if you placed the order last year. If you paid by paypal for example they changed the way it interacts with orders, when I placed a order it setup the paypal system of registering the company with your paypal account so you can pay from then on, abit similar to how you pay for subscription systems, downside is it doesn't seem to use pay after delivery anymore which used to be how it originally was last year. If you paid by  card then I'm not sure, probably have to ask rails what is going on via telephone.

I noticed they were in stock on thursday so placed a order and paid for special delivery so so its why I got it Sat after it being dispatched friday and I only ordered the loco it self. As another poster mentioned above they had issue with paypal had not updated the rest of the system yet. I've found Rails to be helpful when sorting out a issue, so I would suggest giving them a ring on Monday and getting it resolved, could be down to computer error on the order system at the end of the day.

@Trains4U: Most of the local retailers around here haven't had any allocation from Hornby so I had to either use Rails, Hattons or the like, its why I said Rails was one of the few which seems to have a stock of them, I use Rails as they still use royal mail as their primary delivery method and not couriers which have mixed results for where I live.

I'm not affliated with Rails, if anyone would seem to think that, I've just had good experience with them and any issues have been resolved quickly without to much back and forward and they are generally quick on the mark if you give them a ring rather than trying to email them about issues to.

• RMweb Gold

My only suggestion would be to contact rails about it, it could be a payment issue if you placed the order last year. If you paid by paypal for example they changed the way it interacts with orders, when I placed a order it setup the paypal system of registering the company with your paypal account so you can pay from then on, abit similar to how you pay for subscription systems, downside is it doesn't seem to use pay after delivery anymore which used to be how it originally was last year. If you paid by  card then I'm not sure, probably have to ask rails what is going on via telephone.

I noticed they were in stock on thursday so placed a order and paid for special delivery so so its why I got it Sat after it being dispatched friday and I only ordered the loco it self. As another poster mentioned above they had issue with paypal had not updated the rest of the system yet.

Cheers, thanks. Yep, it'll come when it's ready, it's 'in progress' so I just need to be a bit more patient!

What I should be doing meanwhile is getting on with building the layout for it... :-)

Love seeing what folks have done with theirs.

All the best,

Keith

attachicon.gifBlackPeckett-003.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackPeckett-005.jpg

Work done:

Cab upper rear cut off using a razor blade.

Handrails painted and polished with Humbrol metalcote "polished steel".

Additonal metalwork painted as above, on cabsides and rear.

Pipework along boiler painted copper-coloured.

Buffers drilled out and parts that should be painted red have been painted red.

Printed works plate removed and replaced with etched brass item - printed works plate is overly large.

Smokebox repainted with off-black matt paint.

Bodywork polished using T-cut, which leaves an extra shine in places but gives a weathered appearance in areas that are difficult to get to.

Hideous couplers thrown in bin and replaced with Dinghams.

Driver figure added.

Name plate fitted.

Front hand rail replaced with straight item because I liked the straight one on the MSC Pecketts but missed out on getting one.

Lower part of firebox painted and dusted with rusty weathering powder.

Whistle replaced with whitemetal item of different design because the standard item broke within minutes of taking the model out of the box!

Sorry i skipped the unboxing vid. It was going to epic, directed by Taratino and voiced by Samuel L. Jackson but neither would do it for the five quid that I was offering. Ah well, never mind, eh?

Very nice indeed - though a mist of matt varnish over the driver would have avoided the 'wet-look' effect.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Come on guys you're doing it wrong.

You are supposed to keep them mint in the boxes for years and then sell them on eBay for a couple of quid profit. None of that playing with your toys like the other children do.  :senile:

Jason

Sorry Jason, I am indeed a  keeper.  That said, I might not be a keeper for ever. Prices are a bit silly at the moment, so I'll bide my time. I've got time on my side..... "CLUNK!"....Oh, that wasn't supposed to happen......."

......Ooops.....

I am still waiting for Rails to progress the 18 month old order of mine, messaged them last night and got a reply this morning saying: -

We are currently working through an high amount of parcels to be sent out, so we're working through them as quickly as possible. Sorry for the delay.

I am guessing that they are being a victim of their own success.

At least the payment is showing on the order and it is "In Progess".

I am still waiting for Rails to progress the 18 month old order of mine, messaged them last night and got a reply this morning saying: -

I am guessing that they are being a victim of their own success.

At least the payment is showing on the order and it is "In Progess".

The Dyno carriages just went on sale recently if I recall, plus they had some flash sales recently on some of the 009 and 00 stuff, so wouldn't surprise me if they are snowed under. I noticed from the newsletter they also seem to have alot of new stock in recently in the past 3weeks, a sudden burst in orders I wouldn't think would be to unexpected.

As you said, victim of their own success, but a positive in one respect, shows atleast there is a healthly demand still for the hobby which imo is always a added bonus, especially with the uncertainty with the UK economy at the moment, I was kinda expecting a tightening of pockets, epsecially with summer months and holidays involved, but doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

The one I posted a few days ago was bought from Hattons, having been ordered as soon as they were announced. I had intended to build a layout for the Cameo Layouts competition and the idea was to have a pair of the black Pecketts as motive power. I ordered one from Hattons and one from my local model shop. Partly to support my local shop and partly to ensure supply after the first wave of Peckettmania.

The one from Hattons arrived, invoiced at £83 and whatever pence, including postage. imagine my shock when the local place phoned me to let me know the Pecketts were arriving imminently and the price was £99.99! I had done the same thing, last year, with a pair of Oxford Rail Yorkshire Janus diesels and the price from each supplier was the same overall (the Hattons one obviously including postage) so I really didn't expect that. I don't mind the £4 price of postage difference but 20 quid over the Hattons price is taking the Michael and so  told them I'd changed my mind and no longer wanted it.

• Like 2