Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Here is the news....

Huntley & Palmers, Peckett W4 Works Freight Pack - Era 2

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/mid-year-releases/huntley-palmers-peckett-w4-works-freight-pack-era-2.html

Huntley & Palmers Ltd, Peckett W4 Class, 0-4-0ST, Locomotive ‘C’, with Huntley & Palmers Ltd six plank wagons nos. 23, 24 and 25.

Huntley & Palmers started out in 1822, with Joseph Huntley baking biscuits in the back of his small shop at 72 London Street in Reading and by 1846 the firm had grown to such an extent that a large factory on the Kings Road in Reading was purchased. Expansion continued at a pace and by 1898 the business had grown to become the largest biscuit manufacturer in the world, employing over 5,000 people on a twenty four acre site that spanned both banks of the River Kennet and which led to Reading becoming known as ‘Biscuit Town’.

Peckett Works No. 831/1900 was built new for Huntley & Palmers of Reading, along with 832/1900 and a small two road locomotive shed was constructed at the north-east corner of the Huntley & Palmers factory site, adjacent to the Wokingham line, to accommodate them both. Locomotive 831/1900 received the Huntley & Palmers works designation of ‘C’ and operated across the extensive private sidings, which by the 1930s were seeing the movement of 15,000 wagons per year.

This limited edition freight pack recreates the atmosphere of the freight sidings at Huntley & Palmers’ factory, featuring the intricate Huntley & Palmers Ltd liveried Peckett W4 at the beginning of the 20th century, as well as three of the distinctive liveried, numbered, Huntley & Palmers Ltd six plank wagons.

The complete mid-year announcements...including two more Pecketts.....

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/mid-year-releases.html?utm_campaign=2090092_Hornby%20-%20Secon%20half%20reveal%20-%20Week%206%202018&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby%20PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,18SQ4,GVJU1,3YTO8,1

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

Just ordered from Hornby direct the Green one ( shows my ignorance of codes etc.) straight away after seeing a youtube video of Sam'sTrains announce it.

Now the wait.......

ps have one already, one was to be sacrificed for a ON30 pecket as running at Puffing Billy.

http://dth.railpage.org.au/pbr_emerald/projects/peckettlog.htm

http://locomotive.wikia.com/wiki/PBR_No._1711_%22Sir_John_Grice%22

( need  2 as the loco is great as is so needed a proper one as well - wish I could afford a lot more )

Regards,

David Head

I'm going to be picking up the PLA-liveried version - I have the PLA version of the Janus on order, so it'll be a nice little shedmate. Oh no, I'm going to have to build a Docklands micro-layout, aren't I?

A couple of days ago, a friend who models the Reading area and I were discussing the Peckett and he said that he'd love to pick up the Huntley & Palmers version if he found one at a reasonable price, so I guess his prayers have also been answered.

• Like 2

I have a few questions that internet research did not really answer.

1/ I believe the PLA covered docks along the Themes and at the mouth of the River Medway. So where Queenborough or Shearness covered by the PLA?

2/ the only photo I found of PLA 74 is in the 1950s on the Isle of Dogs. Did the loco move around various docks or she always stuck on the Dogs?

I ask because North of the Themes she may never have met SECR/SR locos, but if she moved around a bit then she could be worthly as a Peckett that truly ran next to SR metals.

• Like 1

I think the black Lilleshall one and green No 560 are due at any minute. Niclausse is due later in the year.

Jason

That's what I'd heard, but they were due last November initially I believe?

Hoping they turn up soon!

I see that Hornby has missed the opportunity to make a bit more cash by releasing an add-on pack of some more Huntley & Palmers wagons.

No doubt some retailers will be splitting the set if they do not sell out which may well be the case, after all how many who bought the H&P Peckett want another one and how many who missed out will want the wagons. Would be more interesting release of Pecketts if they had announced they were having metal whistles and 6 pin DCC sockets but then this is Hornby and about as much chance as flying pigs

• RMweb Premium

I have a few questions that internet research did not really answer.

1/ I believe the PLA covered docks along the Themes and at the mouth of the River Medway. So where Queenborough or Shearness covered by the PLA?

No. Tilbury was the furthest east for the PLA.

• RMweb Premium

I see that Hornby has missed the opportunity to make a bit more cash by releasing an add-on pack of some more Huntley & Palmers wagons.

What would be more to the point would be to provide some accurate models of appropriate pre-Grouping railway company opens and vans to take the finished biscuits out in. (Great Western standard 4-plank wagon on the left, Midland D299 5-plank wagon on the right with, probably, a South Eastern & Chatham wagon behind it.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What would be more to the point would be to provide some accurate models of appropriate pre-Grouping railway company opens and vans to take the finished biscuits out in. (Great Western standard 4-plank wagon on the left, Midland D299 5-plank wagon on the right with, probably, a South Eastern & Chatham wagon behind it.)

Not forgetting the horse, of course.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/05/2018 at 19:19, Budgie said:

Not forgetting the horse, of course.

I know two things about the horse...

Anyway, as far as H&P wagons go, one can build one's own with a bit of help from POWSides and Cambrian:

982256152_HPwagons16and24andPeckettD.JPG.c178575da0f499bebf4d17186399ae78.JPG

Edited by Compound2632
image re-inserted
  • Like 14

Just had an email from Rails to say Peckett Works Livery No.560/1893 0-4-0ST R3615 is due for delivery in May.

Cheers,

Keith

I think the black Lilleshall one and green No 560 are due at any minute. Niclausse is due later in the year.

Jason

I was browsing the "Coming Soon" section of the Hornby website and noticed that 560 (R3615) had vanished.  Oh good, I thought, Its gone to "New Arrivals".  Not there either.  Looked it up and Hornby have moved it back to August 2018, which is NOT very sporting of them!  Lilleshall (R3550) is still in "Coming Soon" and is now marked as pre-orderable, with an arrival date of June 2018.

With all the hoopla of the new Peckett liveries, they might have said something about shifting delivery dates for Pecketts promised from last year, forward again.  Given that, I'd take their current delivery estimates with a goodly chunk of Siberia.

Of course, these revised dates may refer to second tranches of Lilleshall and 560, but I doubt it!

I was browsing the "Coming Soon" section of the Hornby website and noticed that 560 (R3615) had vanished.  Oh good, I thought, Its gone to "New Arrivals".  Not there either.  Looked it up and Hornby have moved it back to August 2018, which is NOT very sporting of them!  Lilleshall (R3550) is still in "Coming Soon" and is now marked as pre-orderable, with an arrival date of June 2018.

With all the hoopla of the new Peckett liveries, they might have said something about shifting delivery dates for Pecketts promised from last year, forward again.  Given that, I'd take their current delivery estimates with a goodly chunk of Siberia.

Of course, these revised dates may refer to second tranches of Lilleshall and 560, but I doubt it!

It seems that Lilleshall are available to pre order again, before it was stated as sold out, so maybe they are having a larger batch made.

More are postponed as sample ,SR Nelson from June to July , to August now and that all in one month time.

Huntley Palmers pack are coming with the new 6 plank wagons, for the same price together, compared to if you buy them loose, so no extra charge for this limited edition.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 1

Here is the news....

Huntley & Palmers, Peckett W4 Works Freight Pack - Era 2

I promptly ordered this because I missed out on the loco on the first release.  However the wagons appear to have the old non-NEM chassis.  It would be so nice to have these with the new chassis that Hornby has quietly introduced recently.

It seems that Lilleshall are available to pre order again, before it was stated as sold out, so maybe they are having a larger batch made.

Maybe a lot of those that had Pecketts on pre-order direct with Hornby have decided to cancel and go down the Hattons AB route?

Seems like no change for Lilleshall Co Peckett's ordered via Hattons... yet.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/250837/Hornby_R3550_Class_W4_Peckett_0_4_0ST_883_in_Lilleshall_Co_livery_sold_out_on_Pre_Order/StockDetail.aspx

So many scenarios, and maybe soon, a surplus of Pecketts? Who knows?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I promptly ordered this because I missed out on the loco on the first release.  However the wagons appear to have the old non-NEM chassis.  It would be so nice to have these with the new chassis that Hornby has quietly introduced recently.

It is, of course, the other one.  So the fortunate few who bag both will have the pair.

Not so sure the wagons are as accurate as the loco - discussed IIRC on Compound's pre-Grouping wagons topic.  I suspect most won't care, however.

• Like 2

Maybe a lot of those that had Pecketts on pre-order direct with Hornby have decided to cancel and go down the Hattons AB route?

Seems like no change for Lilleshall Co Peckett's ordered via Hattons... yet.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/250837/Hornby_R3550_Class_W4_Peckett_0_4_0ST_883_in_Lilleshall_Co_livery_sold_out_on_Pre_Order/StockDetail.aspx

So many scenarios, and maybe soon, a surplus of Pecketts? Who knows?

I don't think Hornby will care too much if the market for Pecketts has reached the point where they no longer routinely sell out on pre-order. They've already sold enough of them to have easily covered their development costs by now. And, as has been pointed out by someone else in the current Hornby announcements thread, not everybody pre-orders - some people still like to be able to browse the shop shelves in the old fashioned way and make their selection from what's available (something that's particularly true in the train set market, where a significant proportion of purchases are gifts). Smaller retailers, in particular, will probably be pleased to have more of these available for stock. They're an attractive model that will sell on appearance (and price), so just because we've passed the peak of Peckett mania doesn't mean that they're approaching the end of the line.

• RMweb Premium

I thought that as well, the wagons are more suited to the Railroad range. Expect a glut of Huntley & Palmer wagons on E-bay shortly.

They are with the new chassis look at the picture below 

They are with the new chassis look at the picture they also have the new split spoked wheels, so these are all new undercarriage

Jenny Kirk has a very good review about the new Hornby wagons and this undercarriage is the same as the reviewed 3 plank wagon she did, she give this one a very high rating.

post-17668-0-88259700-1525947927_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 5

It would have been slightly better if, instead of sequential numbers, they had done three unrelated numbers. Unless they were deliberately kept together as a set, it's unlikely that any three randomly picked wagons would be numbered in sequence.