Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

It is, of course, the other one.  So the fortunate few who bag both will have the pair.

Not so sure the wagons are as accurate as the loco - discussed IIRC on Compound's pre-Grouping wagons topic.  I suspect most won't care, however.

For most people, the wagons won't be the main event, just a happy bonus. It's quite cunning if not a little underhanded. Hornby have presumably seen how much the H&P Peckett goes for on eBay and they know that even if people don't want the wagons, there's still a good chance it'll work out cheaper than scouring the second-hand market.

• RMweb Premium

It is, of course, the other one.  So the fortunate few who bag both will have the pair.

Not so sure the wagons are as accurate as the loco - discussed IIRC on Compound's pre-Grouping wagons topic.  I suspect most won't care, however.

Tempting, tempting...

I've been a bit rude about Hornby's H&P wagons but to be fair they have a number of points going for them. The 6-plank wagons are actually not a bad representation of a late 19th/early 20th century PO wagon (RCH 1887 standard). 6-plank wagons were pretty common at that time. The body has the right dimensions and at least we have 9ft wheelbase! I have done some conversions, in some cases retaining the very nicely printed solebars, in others replacing the whole underframe with Cambrian and Slaters components. 

I thought that as well, the wagons are more suited to the Railroad range. Expect a glut of Huntley & Palmer wagons on E-bay shortly.

So I don't agree they're Railroad fodder - they may not be in the same league as the Bachmann RCH 1923 standard 12 ton wagon but are a considerable advance of many of the ex-Mailine/Airfix 5/7 plank wagons on offer from Hornby and Dapol with their steel frames and 10ft wheelbase.

They are with the new chassis look at the picture below 

In one major respect the new underframe is less suitable than the old - it has oil axleboxes which I doubt very many of these wagons would ever have received; certainly not before the late 30s/40s for which period the attractive liveries would cease to be appropriate. For all that the old underframe relied on tromp l'oeil, it had a crude but effective representation of round-bottomed grease axleboxes - appropriate to the build date of such wagons.

It would have been slightly better if, instead of sequential numbers, they had done three unrelated numbers. Unless they were deliberately kept together as a set, it's unlikely that any three randomly picked wagons would be numbered in sequence.

Huntley & Palmers bought or hired a small number of coal wagons down the years. In the photo I posted earlier, there are from right to left:

4-plank dumb buffer wagon No. 1, one of a batch of five Nos. 1-5 built by the Birmingham Wagon Co. in 1873;

4-plank iron-framed wagon No. 6, from a batch of five Nos. 6-10, also from the Birmingham Wagon Co. in 1889; (there was a further batch of ten, Nos. 11-20, with steel frames but otherwise identical, in 1903);

6-plank wagon No. 24, from a batch of five Nos. 21-25, from the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. in 1908.

[Many thanks once again to wagonman for providing this information from his primary research.] 

The Hornby wagon passes reasonably well for one of the latter, both in dimensions and general appearance (though the Slater's kit from POWSides is rather better). Anyway, the point is, Hornby are producing three numbers out of a possible five, so its statistically fairly likely that if you looked out of the window of your SE&CR train arriving at Reading and saw Peckett C shunting three of H&P's coal wagons, you'd see those three numbers. There would also likely be wagons from coal factors such as Stephenson Clarke - there is photographic evidence for them - and company wagons, quite likely Midland - further photographic evidence. The latter lead me to postulate that H&P got their coal from the Midlands - at least in the 1890s - possibly the Warwickshire coalfield - coals from which I have seen mentioned as suitable for biscuit-making. 

In the light of the above, what puzzled me particularly about Hornby's first release of the Huntley & Palmers wagon was the choice of number, 18. Maybe someone at Hornby has since been taking note! Apart from that, I'm not convinced by their interpretation of "purple-brown" (Gloucester's description of the body colour) and I think the black shading is a bit feeble compared to the POWSides transfers. The black solebars and headstocks are a disappointment too, especially given the exquisite printing of the Gloucester "builders" and "for repairs advise" plates and the registration plate.

Edited by Compound2632

No, I think you'll find that's just how the cookie crumbles ....

That comment really took the biscuit. Anyway, it's good to know that the wagons aren't as crumby as they might first appear, and that there's a wafer the serious modeller to justify them. This hobnobbing has provided me with some useful information to digestive. Nice.

• Like 1

They are with the new chassis look at the picture they also have the new split spoked wheels, so these are all new undercarriage

Thanks.  I was fooled by the couplers - they looked bulkier than those on the loco and distracted me from the rest of the chassis.

The latter lead me to postulate that H&P got their coal from the Midlands - at least in the 1890s - possibly the Warwickshire coalfield - coals from which I have seen mentioned as suitable for biscuit-making

I'd have thought wood would be better for charcoal biscuits, but it might be the explaination for the American Oreo...

I have a few questions that internet research did not really answer.

1/ I believe the PLA covered docks along the Themes and at the mouth of the River Medway. So where Queenborough or Shearness covered by the PLA?

2/ the only photo I found of PLA 74 is in the 1950s on the Isle of Dogs. Did the loco move around various docks or she always stuck on the Dogs?

I ask because North of the Themes she may never have met SECR/SR locos, but if she moved around a bit then she could be worthly as a Peckett that truly ran next to SR metals.

From Dave Marden's excellent 'London Dock Railways Part 1', P489 (PLA No. 74) worked at Millwall Docks exclusively. It arrived second hand in December 1943 and was scrapped in March 1958.

• RMweb Gold

That comment really took the biscuit. Anyway, it's good to know that the wagons aren't as crumby as they might first appear, and that there's a wafer the serious modeller to justify them. This hobnobbing has provided me with some useful information to digestive. Nice.

I’m a bit digestive about this one. But a loco and wagons is quite definitely having your cake and eating it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those are some nice photos of the missing side of industrial activity, long gone now. Who would enter his trade as 'coal stacker' nowadays? Miners got paid by the size of lump they hewed. The owners didn't pay for dust.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I’ve been a bit slow on this one.

Been online looking to order but this morning it has been showing as H&P set now sold out at :

Hattons

Derails,

Colletts model shop,

Model railways direct,

sawyer models

Lendons shows 1 remaining to order

If your open to full or near full price Kernow/Rails/Olivia’s are still showing preorders.

I’ve decided to jump in feet first and ordered a couple from Antics online,(£120) in order to make a longer train, and will pass on two of my Pecketts when released & keep the wagons.

Antics are still open to preorders this morning at best price I see remaining so be quick..

https://anticsonline.uk/search.aspx?description=R3686

(No relation to them..indeed it’s my first order).

Cheltenham Model Centre have preorders but by telephone only at £120 so obviously it’s nearly gone their too.

In summary, it looks like if you want either the wagons, loco or both you need to move fast for a good price, and even rrp at this rate... delivery is in a year.

Edited by adb968008

Looks like I’ve been a bit slow on this one.

Been online looking to order but this morning it has been showing as H&P set now sold out at :

Hattons

Derails,

Colletts model shop,

Model railways direct,

sawyer models

Lendons shows 1 remaining to order

If your open to full or near full price Kernow/Rails/Olivia’s are still showing preorders.

I’ve decided to jump in feet first and ordered a couple from Antics online,(£120) in order to make a longer train, and will pass on two of my Pecketts when released & keep the wagons.

Antics are still open to preorders this morning at best price I see remaining so be quick..

https://anticsonline.uk/search.aspx?description=R3686

(No relation to them..indeed it’s my first order).

Cheltenham Model Centre have preorders but by telephone only at £120 so obviously it’s nearly gone their too.

In summary, it looks like if you want either the wagons, loco or both you need to move fast for a good price, and even rrp at this rate... delivery is in a year.

Hi. We still have all the pecketts available for pre order including the black one and two green one. We don't do pre orders through the website, we do them face to face in the shop, over the phone or via email.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

I understand that the PLA loco is already sold out to the trade.

I believe that both of this week's Pecketts are; I had a call from a rather miffed retailer that he'd missed out because he was out of the shop Tues & Weds this week. The production quantities are the same as the Lilleshall loco so it's advisable that customer pre-orders are made sooner rather than later.

And to think some people were saying they won't sell as the market will be flooded. Thanks for the heads up everyone. 

Pre order in. I didn't need another one, but my H&P Peckett could do with a little friend.  :friends:

Psst. Try Tennents Trains. ;)

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There will be plenty of people who are collecting these. I have never been interested in collecting, but there is something different about these. They all get run, but I seem to have bought/ordered the full set.

Now, just having to resist doing the same with the P Class...

Roy

I was umming and ahh’ing, but decided to order the lovely blue PLA one before they all sell out. £76.50 from Colletts, can’t complain. Now to build a layout set in East London based on some dockside exchange sidings, with the Peckett and a couple of grubby J15’s and Class 15’s shunting wagons...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I was umming and ahh’ing, but decided to order the lovely blue PLA one before they all sell out. £76.50 from Colletts, can’t complain. Now to build a layout set in East London based on some dockside exchange sidings, with the Peckett and a couple of grubby J15’s and Class 15’s shunting wagons...

Don't forget the Janus. :jester:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Latest release dates on the Hornby website:

• R3550 - June 2018
  • R3615 - August 2018
  • R3640 - February 2019
  • R3679 - April 2019
  • R3680 - May 2019
  • R3686 - May 2019

I missed this earlier in the month and I was just thinking "end of May, not been asked for payment yet"! Any odds on the Lilleshall Pecket arriving next month? :O :(

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Like 1

It's been so long since I ordered my Peckett that, to be honest, I've given up tracking when it will be available. Some day in the future, a package will drop on my doormat and it will be a pleasant surprise when I open it.