Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

I was umming and ahh’ing, but decided to order the lovely blue PLA one before they all sell out. £76.50 from Colletts, can’t complain. Now to build a layout set in East London based on some dockside exchange sidings, with the Peckett and a couple of grubby J15’s and Class 15’s shunting wagons...

I was leafing through a book on the PLA railways recently and discovered that they'd actually hired a few Austerities from the Ministry of Defence, including at least two in Longmoor Military Railway livery. So there's a possibility if you wanted another engine without repainting - although the LMR engines in the docks got a lot grubbier than the Army would ever have allowed.

(I have a Hornby Austerity in LMR livery which is going to be used on my plan for a similar layout)

Just a reminder that if you are building a layout based on PLA's Royal Group of Docks then there have been kits for the Hudwell Clarke locos. Oxford are also producing a triple pack of PLA wagons to go with the Janus. I do hope they appear with the PLA fleet numbers I suggested. The problem is that these wagons are 7-plank 'end-tip' a type of which I am not aware of PLA having. PLA opens were of the 'merchandise' type ranging from 3 to 6 plank. Thus the numbers I provided were of 6-plank 'merchandise' opens that operated in Royal Docks. Finally the Royals had an internal transfer service that because of severe gradients required PLA Brake Vans (ducket less), the only PLA ones to have operated within the PLA's various dock systems. Regards, Colin Withey.

• 2 weeks later...

Lilleshall Peckett due in June. Nearly half way through: has anyone heard anything?

Is this the Black one ! the Hornby website said July when I looked yesterday and 560 still due in August.

Latest release dates on the Hornby website:

• R3550 - June 2018
  • R3615 - August 2018
  • R3640 - February 2019
  • R3679 - April 2019
  • R3680 - May 2019
  • R3686 - May 2019

Is this the Black one ! the Hornby website said July when I looked yesterday and 560 still due in August.

Yes, July was quoted when I last looked earlier in the month.

That's frustrating... pushed back again then. 

Because I was so disappointed that I had missed getting a Huntley and Palmers one I thought I had better order the next one due to be produced, I ordered the Lilleshall one on 06/02/2018 when it was due in October 2017. So far I have received a P class, a Barclay and a B4, all were produced within weeks of the promised date, this Pecket is now 9 months late! :(

• RMweb Gold

Latest on the Hornby website

£99.99

Item Code: R3550

Expected: August 2018

Pre-Order Allocation Sold Out-

Cheers,

Keith

£99.99

Cheers,

Keith

Another month! :(

At this rate I will have the Rapido J70 running on my layout before I get a Hornby Peckett! :O

Edited by gz3xzf

• RMweb Gold

Paid £80 for mine, on Jan 4th 2017.. what’s the chances of the Pre-order price being honoured ?

Just checked, my card expires in 2021, should I update with a new card just incase ?

Edited by adb968008

Here is a strange one , on the list of Locos on Hornby's own Railmaster control system it does not list No R3550 but lists R3615 & R3640. The mystery deepens !

I just wonder if the factory has produced the model already has this latest loan being part used to pay for it along with others ! it could part explain the delay.

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

It could only be days if it was due end of July and now beginning of August.

It could... All the models shown as Coming Soon on the Hornby website are supposedly on their way from China, so any delays from that point on should be minimal.

• RMweb Gold

R3615 could well be winging it's way to me.......

Rather like the cut of his jib....

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

It could... All the models shown as Coming Soon on the Hornby website are supposedly on their way from China, so any delays from that point on should be minimal.

Aye, the one with Class 87’s must be a slow boat from China, or it’s coming via South America following an Antarctic thaw.

• 3 weeks later...

£99.99

Cheers,

Keith

I picked up mine from Woodpecker Model Railways on Wednesday for $175.00 AUD, I was kind of shocked that they got them in so quick considering none of the UK stores I purchase from have any in stock, price wise I am not complaining since 10% GST is now being applied to online purchases from overseas so I can no longer enjoy tax free shopping from UK suppliers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was kind of shocked that they got them in so quick considering none of the UK stores I purchase from have any in stock.

The models come direct from China, and since Australia is closer to China than the UK is, you will get your orders first.  This has happened before with a previous Hornby new release (was it an earlier batch of Pecketts? can't remember now), because it was commented on at the time.  That's good news for anyone in the UK who has ordered one, it at least confirms they have been shipped and are on their way.

Interesting. DougN and I bought our earlier Pecketts from Metro Hobbies in Melbourne; a quick check just now revealed they are showing it as "In Stock" for $154.99, which represents quite good value. I'm not after this particular version, but for any Aussies out there, jump in quickly if you do want one.

• RMweb Gold

£99.99

Cheers,

Keith

Now July on the Hornby website

£99.99

Expected: July 2018

Pre-Order Allocation Sold Out

Cheers,

Keith

Just a reminder that if you are building a layout based on PLA's Royal Group of Docks then there have been kits for the Hudwell Clarke locos. Oxford are also producing a triple pack of PLA wagons to go with the Janus. I do hope they appear with the PLA fleet numbers I suggested. The problem is that these wagons are 7-plank 'end-tip' a type of which I am not aware of PLA having. PLA opens were of the 'merchandise' type ranging from 3 to 6 plank. Thus the numbers I provided were of 6-plank 'merchandise' opens that operated in Royal Docks. Finally the Royals had an internal transfer service that because of severe gradients required PLA Brake Vans (ducket less), the only PLA ones to have operated within the PLA's various dock systems. Regards, Colin Withey.

Following on from the above, on the "Oxford Diecast/Golden Valley - YE Janus 0-6-0DE" thread I gave sample numbers to produce PLA open wagons used in the Royal and Tilbury docks from the 4mm. scale unpainted RTR wagons produced by Dapol.   On that thread you can see a superb PLA wagon that Honest Tom created from this data.   Now with the PLA Peckett No.74 always being at Millwall Shed, then if someone would like to reply that similar data would be welcome on this thread as to the India & Millwall docks wagon numbers for the Dapol range mentioned, then I will gladly arrange.

• Like 1

I assume, correctly or otherwise, that the welcomed responses from PhilJW and SRman mean that I&M wagon detail would be wanted so I will revert and I challenge anyone to produce a model from the data using the unpainted Dapol RTR wagons to accompany the PLA Peckett!   Watch this space!!!

• Like 1

Now to the challenge!!!   To produce as 'close as possible' a set of appropriate wagons to accompany Hornby's PLA Peckett when released.   The red livery is well shown in Honest Tom's photo of his wagon on the Janus thread although he did feel it needed a bit more weathering.   The decoration of I&M wagons was uniform unlike those at Royals and Tilbury.   The white fleet number was at the left hand end of the bottom plank whilst the white PLA was across the second and third planks from the top.   The fleet numbers for the unpainted Dapol RTR models are as follows -

Dapol A001 = 282, 372, 491, 565, 793, 834, 906 and 982.

Dapol A005 = 286 and C55.

Dapol A015 = 385, 391, 403, 471 and 488.

The best photos of two of these types are to be found on the HMRS photo collection website for Nos. 834 and C55.   Because I have been experiencing broadband problems I will send the views of 286 and 471 in a separate post.   Also included will be 403 in its final 'curved' state - the PLA believed in longevity but I have see views of 403 when 'straight'!!!   Many I&M wagons continued in a ramshackled state of disrepair to store coal, plant, materials, etc. around this dock group.   C55 is numbered in the revised numbering series after the PLA post-war review of its rail operations.

• Like 1

Apologies for a mix-up of views - for 403 please read 471 for which the view is of its final 'curved' state.   In "Model Trains" for February/March 1982, I wrote an illustrated article entitled "The Millwall Circle" showing how to produce a table top layout to replicate the circle in the Granary area of Millwall Docks and the rolling stock.   Off the circle were shed sidings plus a fiddle siding from BR.   The idea was to combine BR stock with PLA transhipment and general dock requirements.   I included a lovely view of the line-up of the Millwall shed locos awaiting release under the supervision of Alan Cross, the then I&M Senior Railway Traffic Officer.   Enjoy.  

post-22373-0-15426900-1530786443_thumb.jpg

post-22373-0-54862600-1530786581_thumb.jpg

• Like 8