Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

• RMweb Gold

Oh lor.....  Now we're waiting for Godot?

I was going to suggest putting them in a dark engine shed together.  You'd probably get quicker delivery than via Hornby!

No.Beckett also wrote 'Happy Days'.Hornby delivery isn't that bad is it ?

Footnote : I 'm taking a bit of a liberty with that particular play.It is in fact anything but happy.Optimistic under difficult circumstances would perhaps be a better description. Cue Hornby then.....back on track.

• Like 2

post-8701-0-09575100-1532867662_thumb.jpg

Picked mine up on Friday. Filmed it yesterday and today so will appear in video on Monday. Very pleased with this livery. Despite being basic compared to the previous three offerings it actually highlights far better just how fine this model is as it is easier to see the detail without a busy colour scheme.

• Like 12

Hattons seemingly not discounting the Peckett now it’s in stock. I had a preorder for £79. On their website now at £99. More than 10 in stock so presumably less madness than the 1st batch and maybe other outlets selling for under £90? My Dad picked one up from Arcadia for under £90.

Colletts Models £85.99 (£90.49 with postage) Currently 8 in stock according to the web page  https://www.collettsmodelshop.co.uk/product/Hornby-r3550-class-w4-peckett-0-4-0st-883-in-lilleshall-co-livery/

Hereford Models £84.45 (£88.40 with postage) Currently 11 in stock according to the web page http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10854

• Like 1

Interestingly the ones I have seen here in Australia are working out at about 99quid each. Which is actually pretty good and consistent with the UK pricing. Generally we see anything from 20% to 100% mark up. It is not convincing me I need any more! 

• Like 3

My Little Peckett....

HAS ARRIVED!

post-21933-0-14845000-1532956522.jpg

Here, it is pretending to be the first loco belonging to an early Heritage railway.

"My Little Peckett".  Hmmmm.  Perhaps Hornby ought to do one in Pink. With sparkles.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mine came from Hattons today ran sweet as a nut from the box.

I succumbed on Saturday and bought one from my local model shop, Expressway Models at the South Devon Railway in Buckfastleigh. The advantage of getting one in this way is that you can see them being test run in the shop.

The first one I looked at ran like a pig, so I told the chap that unfortunately I couldn't take it and could I look at another one. The second one seemed to run better, but it's a little hard to tell as they don't always appreciate my meaning when I say that I literally am looking for a loco that can do a slow crawl straight from the box, as I know these Pecketts can.

I bought the second one I saw and took it home. I tested in the following day (yesterday) and it had a distinct tight spot and was really no better than the first one. However, I gave it the benefit of the doubt and ran it for an hour each way on the rolling road. After that bit of running in, it was only very slightly better and certainly not good enough for the kind of use I would be giving it.

So, I took it back this morning, saw someone else in the shop and explained that it hadn't improved with running in and that I'd like to change it for another. They were happy to do so, but the next one I looked at (ie. the third I had seen in all) was no better than the first two.

Sometimes you can tell whether a loco is going to improve with running in and when it won't.

They then agreed to get another one out (the fourth) and this time I got my battery-powered bit of test track out of my bag, wired to a 3v battery and tested this Peckett for slow running. Pretty good in reverse and with a slight hesitation in forwards. Sensing that I was beginning to outstay my welcome, I said that I would take that one and see how it fared with proper running in at home.

So I'm really hoping that this one beds in OK!

I succumbed on Saturday and bought one from my local model shop, Expressway Models at the South Devon Railway in Buckfastleigh. The advantage of getting one in this way is that you can see them being test run in the shop.

The first one I looked at ran like a pig, so I told the chap that unfortunately I couldn't take it and could I look at another one. The second one seemed to run better, but it's a little hard to tell as they don't always appreciate my meaning when I say that I literally am looking for a loco that can do a slow crawl straight from the box, as I know these Pecketts can.

I bought the second one I saw and took it home. I tested in the following day (yesterday) and it had a distinct tight spot and was really no better than the first one. However, I gave it the benefit of the doubt and ran it for an hour each way on the rolling road. After that bit of running in, it was only very slightly better and certainly not good enough for the kind of use I would be giving it.

So, I took it back this morning, saw someone else in the shop and explained that it hadn't improved with running in and that I'd like to change it for another. They were happy to do so, but the next one I looked at (ie. the third I had seen in all) was no better than the first two.

Sometimes you can tell whether a loco is going to improve with running in and when it won't.

They then agreed to get another one out (the fourth) and this time I got my battery-powered bit of test track out of my bag, wired to a 3v battery and tested this Peckett for slow running. Pretty good in reverse and with a slight hesitation in forwards. Sensing that I was beginning to outstay my welcome, I said that I would take that one and see how it fared with proper running in at home.

Yes I've noticed (following my earlier post on white grease on the visible gear wheel and the need to run in and re-lubricate) that the actual gear wheel itself is not exactly true and does wobble side to side slightly with each rotation. Mine is acceptable for my use and runs very well now - but I wonder if there has been a slight failure in QC in this area and the manufacturer has used liberal amounts of grease as a way to compensate?

Has anyone received a peckett from rails of Sheffield yet? Have my preorder there but not yet heard anything.

Mark

I called them Saturday and they said they were expecting the Hornby delivery today, not seen any more! :(

I succumbed on Saturday 

He, he, he.

Mine turned up this morning and exhibited identical behavior which you describe. Noticeable slow speed tight spot accompanied in time by audible change in motor note, so onto the rollers and noted raised current demand in time with the tight spots.  I don't believe in this running lark with modern RTR locos & mechanisms . My thoughts are, if a RTR doesn't run ok out the box there's something amiss.

So it was out with my long departed Granny's "Sherlock eat your heart out" magnifying glass and within 10 seconds it had identified the problem.

The wiper pickups, particularity those on the front axle were exerting unequal pressure on the backs of the wheelsets, biasing the axle and wheels over to one side. This in turn was causing the head of the coupling rod bolt to rub on the back of the crosshead on that side each revolution.

Equalising the tension on the wipers to keep the front axle centralised cured the tight spot and Lilleshall no 10 now runs as well as my original Peckett.

I'm not saying this is what your problem will be but it's definitely worth checking the tension on the pick ups.

Ancillary, additional and total unnecessary information.!

Until such a time as I chop up my latest Peckett to become Lambton Railway No. 36 (Once carrying the name "Hazard") I shall be temporarily calling my latest peckett "ThoMas".

That's "Thomas a Peckett  (Gedditt?) not "Thomas the Tank"!

P

Edited to delete duplicate words.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone received a peckett from rails of Sheffield yet? Have my preorder there but not yet heard anything.

Mark

received an email today from Rails to say the Peckett is now in stock but is also sold out!

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/32449/Hornby-r3550-oo-gauge-peckett-w4-0-4-0st-883-lilleshall-co-locomotive

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

Firstly a photo of Lilleshall No 10 when working, it lasted untill 1958 and was one of the last Lilleshall Co locos to work (along with the 2 Barclays).post-20690-0-78080300-1533135402_thumb.jpg

The lilleshall Co certainly had its monies worth with this loco giving 57 years service. The loco was loaned to the nearby works of Joseph Sankey during World War 2 but returned to Lileshall in 1943.

post-20690-0-12833300-1533135739_thumb.jpg

I have now received my loco and the first thing was to remove the tension lock couplings and replace with 3 links. I am now waiting for a replacement shassis to be made in P4. Hornby have done a fabulous job and with some subtle weathering it will look really good.

post-20690-0-01329000-1533135814_thumb.jpg

David

• Like 8

Not a problem, this is now August and it gives me time to save my pennies

Yes; I'm more likely to be working on the layout in September than August anyway. I also need to train the new kitten to keep off the layout, or, at least, grow up a bit and be less bouncy - I've already had to repair a couple of wagons, and I don't want to have to be fixing a new loco if I can possibly avoid it!

• RMweb Gold

the first thing was to remove the tension lock couplings and replace with 3 links.

May I ask if you needed to remove the body for that, David, and if so, is it straightforward to install the new hook? Is that a Smiths hook, by the way?

Thanks.

Captain, yes you have to remove the body. The coupling is from Kean Maygib ( the 3 link wagon ones) which you have to make up, but it is more to scale than the Smiths ones. As the coupling splits behind the buffer beam I had to file a slot on the chassis to clear the back of the coupling.

David

Received mine today :)

Cheers

Darius

Still nothing from Rails about mine, I am a bit worried as I ordered it 18 months ago!

When did others order theirs?

Edited by gz3xzf