Hornby Announce Peckett W4 0-4-0ST

WD0-6-0

Works number2136.Built 1953 for Truman,Hanbury and Buxton.Sadly both loco and its owners are long departed.Slightly different cab design.

One of the last built by Peckett and was a R4.

According to wiki, 2165 was the last steam locomotive built by Peckett in 1958.

Quite a lot of useful information on Pecketts here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peckett_and_Sons_railway_locomotives

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Collected my lovely H&P version along with the Lyme Regis set this evening and the Peckett has been approved as an excellent Christmas present, so off to be wrapped until Sunday.

Funny that Simon Kohler always said that blue locos sold well; seems the new regime at Hornby have gone back through the files and taken note. I am sure this little gem will delight many over the Christmas season and for me it places the Hornby design and production team at the top of the class.

all the very best 

Godfrey

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've got a Dodo,

I've got a Dodo.  :wub:

Just arrived in the post :clapping: 

It is a stunning little model. The only slight flaw I can see is the brake standard is not vertical, but it moves so should be an easy fix.

Now, what the heck am I gong to do with it? I don't model in 4mm scale, or I didn't. ;) The last thing I bought from Hornby was prefixed by Triang and had Rovex Industries on the box. 

A shunting plank?

Looking at the quantities of each Peckett in stock in the shops, they seem to be selling very well. As DougN has observed, any that made it to Melbourne, Australia, seem to have sold out almost before they hit the shelves, and the same appears to be the case with Hatton's stocks in Liverpool.

Of the models available from some UK retailers, the MSC one seems to have the highest numbers, followed by the Huntley and Palmers, leaving 'Dodo' on the endangered list, and almost extinct! (  just had to work that in somehow ... I'll duck for cover in a moment!   :jester:)

I have to say that these Pecketts look very appealing, and, while I have no need and no use for one at all, I am fighting the temptation to buy one for myself, just for the lovely appearance of the things. The Huntley and Palmers blue looks particularly appealing. I wonder how it would look hauling my ancient Wrenn/Dublo Peak Freans van.  :triniti:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This seems to explain it but I am unable to credit the writer.

'The following is a scrap from a GA drawing showing a link from the regulator in the cab to a lubricator mounted on the chimney.Steam is forced in, where it condenses to water, forcing oil, which now floats on top, to run down a pipe to the cylinder. The reasons for the chimney mounting are purely gravity linked'. 

Rob

post-14122-0-79731400-1482542592.jpg

An MSC Peckett simmers by Lancashire Iron & Steels Pomona works.

post-6861-0-92241800-1482571809.jpg

Moments later it's joined by a somewhat larger Peckett, the steelwork's own X class 0-6-ST. (Not quite finished, needs a few details and then weathering).

post-6861-0-53567900-1482571826.jpg

MSC locomotives at a steelworks?

Yes, the MSC system served two steelworks though both had their own locomotives. Taylor Brothers in Trafford Park, a steelworks and forge which made rolling stock wheelsets, and the much larger Lancashire Steel Corporations works at Irlam. The latter was situated on the north bank of the canal, roughly half way between Manchester and Warrington, and the MSCs 'mainline' passed through the iron ore wharf on the canal side.

From the works opening in 1913 through to 1957 (when a line was built linking the works to the former CLC by Irlam station) there was no direct link with the main line network and all rail traffic passed over MSC metals.

A W4 (or two) will shortly be joining the steelworks fleet following a repaint.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody have dimensions of the motor block that they could share please? Looking to obtain one to put under a new 7mm narrow gauge body, but could with knowing dimensions first.

Ta muchly in advance!

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody have dimensions of the motor block that they could share please? Looking to obtain one to put under a new 7mm narrow gauge body, but could with knowing dimensions first.

Ta muchly in advance!

Sorry, don't have said information, but what with Andy Y also seemingly using just the chassis block for a project, I'm beginning to wonder if a market in bodies only for these lovely little locos might start up?

I could imagine that the acquisition of one of those bodies might lead to a scratchbuilt chassis in P4. Now there's a thought.

Ta muchly in advance!

Hope this helps. Dimensions in mm.

Peckett_15_dimensions.jpg

• Like 4

As you have got the ruler out Andy, could you please measure the height of the number plate on the tank it looks taller than the 2mm Dodo one.

Had to get it out again as I'm under pre-Christmas orders to clear my **** up. :)

The answer is 3.5mm.

Think a nameplate to cover that will be a bit oversized.

As the base paint over the diecast boiler looks quite solid I don't think there'll be too many problems in removing the plate print and leaving the base intact.

Looking forward to seeing Andy Y's conversion. I think this chassis could be ideal for lots of other small industrial loco projects. I've ordered a second one today as Invicta couldn't say if or when they'll actually get the remainder of the pre ordered models. 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Butler Henderson pointing out that Hereford still had Huntley and Palmers Peckett in stock, I ordered one on Thursday, expecting it to arrive sometime between Christmas and New Year. Wow guess what arrived this morning . So well done Hereford Model Centre and the Royal Mail

• Like 5

Guest Midland Mole

Well much to my surprise my H&P Peckett from Kernow arrived this morning, so will join my B12 under the tree. :)

My 2nd one from Hereford should come early next week.

Happy Christmas all,

Alex