Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• RMweb Premium

That looks a bit Vic Berry-esque to me Phil!

It's worth removing the handbrake indicator on the MOA and replacing it with another triangle of plasticard pointing to the "OFF" position. (I have a rake of MBAs to do)

Cheers,

Mick

Only if I want to run the wagon !! :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

If I didn't want them to move, I'd have to move 7 wagons worth from OFF to ON, which is why I've just moved the MOA from ON to OFF. ;)

Even managed to get the pointers off in one piece and re-use them. :imsohappy:

• RMweb Premium

Received an envelope from Precision Decals yesterday, which was intriguing as I haven't got anything on order !

It contained the 'bicycle' symbols that go on one half of the GWR 150.

I'd no idea it was coming, so what a very pleasant surprise !

Great customer service !

Cheers,

Phil.

Received an envelope from Precision Decals yesterday, which was intriguing as I haven't got anything on order !

It contained the 'bicycle' symbols that go on one half of the GWR 150.

I'd no idea it was coming, so what a very pleasant surprise !

Great customer service !

Cheers,

Phil.

Very good especially if it was free and you had not ordered it.

• RMweb Premium

Very good especially if it was free and you had not ordered it.

I presume everyone that has bought a set of the transfers has had the Bicycles sent to them, or maybe someone's seen the pics of mine on here and realised something was missing from one end !!

Either-way, I think it's a great touch from Precision.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Those Falcons look good and nice to see some scrap rail modelled in them as opposed to the fresh ballast everyone does. Quick question, how did you do the dark spoil in the others, is it just 'cinders' ballast or is there more to it?

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

The spoil is nothing more than 'Carr's 2mm Light Grey' ballast (which doesn't look that light to me!) mixed with 'Humbrol Dark Earth' weathering powder.

I had no idea what would happen when I mixed them, or if there would be some issue when I fixed it down, like the powder floating to the top !

It doesn't show up too well in the pics but there is a shaped former under the spoil, made from random offcuts of fake Lead flashing I happen to have an offcut of in my garage. It's a self adhesive, lightweight, 2-3mm thick, rubber-type material.

I just stuck some pieces, 1, 2 or 3 layers deep, in the bottom of the wagons, poured the spoil material over it, and glued it down with a 50/50 PVA/water (with a drop of washing up liquid added), applied from a pipette. Just like ballasting trackwork !

It looks ok to me, so it stayed in. :yes:

The rail was painted a dark rust colour, then a coat of 'Humbrol Sand Wash' was rub on and rubbed off again with cotton buds, just to give some variety to the tone. It was cut to lengths approx. half a wagon long. The cut ends were coloured with 'Humbrol Blue Grey Wash', and the pieces were stuck in the wagons with Krystal Klear.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

So it is! I've never noticed that before and rather strange that considering they are of the recent livery, you'd have thought the emblems would be the same!

*edit* just a thought, does anyone know why the cycle emblem is only placed onto one end and not both ends?

Edited by Shoey

• RMweb Premium

*edit* just a thought, does anyone know why the cycle emblem is only placed onto one end and not both ends?

If they're anything like northern 150s, only one end has space for cycles........

They have cycle markings above the relevant sliding door which are easy to see.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

If they're anything like northern 150s, only one end has space for cycles........

They have cycle markings above the relevant sliding door which are easy to see.

Cheers

Mick

The GWR ones are the same, one half has cycle stickers on sides and end, other half has wheelchair stickers but only on the side.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

Can't help wondering how you'e supposed to get your bicycle loaded through that door though  :jester:

Very useful inspiration from the wagon pics - prototype and model - here too, Phil, I have a few of them knocking about in boxes that need to be made useful, wasn't quite sure what to do with them, so thanks for that posting them

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Feels like forever since I posted on here !

I did say 'retro tractors next', well it is a tractor in a retro livery, but it isn't what I was planning !

This has kinda jumped the queue, any guess's as to what it might turn into ?

Cheers,

Phil.

(random fact- my Son as a soft-spot for RAF planes.  ;)  )

post-4971-0-77802100-1482052578_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-48505000-1482052587_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep !

We were there when it was named, & now it's been released into traffic wearing the '37558' number, it's got to be done !

Quick research reveals-

As well as removing the numbers, nameplates & Scottie Dogs from the model, the arrows are in a different place, so they are going too !

The Orange stripe along the bodyside is also in a different position.

Black headcode box needs removing.

The model has 4 lamp brackets, the prototype has 2.

Aerials need removing, just leaving a stub......

.....so much for a quick renumbering job  :O

Will probably end up repainting the Blue & the Yellow, we'll see how it goes!

Cheers,

Phil.