Phil Mc's workbench

Phil Mc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As a bit of background info into my modelling,

I don't have any form of layout at home. That's at my parents house, it's an approx. 13' x 7' roundy roundy.

My Son as also built a layout there, depicting an engine depot at the end of a preserved railway, so he can run whatever he likes !!

He does have a fondness for preserved loco's, especially the ones he's had for haulage!

At present both layouts are DC controlled (my Dad doesn't have a mobile phone, computer, etc, so DCC has never interested him!)

One of the class 50 models I picked up from eBay, the one I've done to 50044 in its current condition. arrived with a sound chip fitted, which was a bit of a surprise as it wasn't mentioned in the description!

As it worked on DC I left it fitted, just adding a better speaker.

The novelty value soon wore off though, with it having to go through the start-up sequence every time it moved, so it never really gets used, but after 'playing' with a few DCC layouts I can definitely see the appeal.

So I talked to my Son and we decided to convert his museum layout to DCC, but to keep it simple, so my Dad didn't feel left-out!

This all goes to explain why the contents of the box in the pic have been eaten by Jeremiah Dixon :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-41087800-1477650006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Mc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's Fox transfers cantrail lining.

I use this, or a bow-pen, or a paint marker, depending on the model.

I usually only use the paint marker when the line is on a rainstrip, like the DRS coaches.

I used the transfer on this due to the curve over the top of the cab front, then went around the rest of the body so it all matched.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

The novelty value soon wore off though, with it having to go through the start-up sequence every time it moved, so it never really gets used, but after 'playing' with a few DCC layouts I can definitely see the appeal.

Playing?

PLAYING?

You were operating......

:locomotive:

There is a CV setting that stops it going through a full restart but can't remember which. (I think it's CV124=6 on a v3.5 decoder, but looking at the leaflet in your pack, that's a v4 from Charlie.........)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Playing?

PLAYING?

You were operating......

:locomotive:

There is a CV setting that stops it going through a full restart but can't remember which. (I think it's CV124=6 on a v3.5 decoder, but looking at the leaflet in your pack, that's a v4 from Charlie.........)

Cheers,

Mick

I wasn't 'playing' with your trainset, I was indeed 'operating', not an ounce of fun or enjoyment was had by anybody on any of those occasions. BradfordBuffer will back me up on that !! :mosking:  :mosking:

The box is from a v4 in the 56.

The 50 has got a v3.5 fitted.

I know very little about CV settings (or much else really!!), but I don't think my Son will be letting either loco leave his layout anytime soon, so they can stay as they are!

To stop dad from shying away from trying the DCC, I got the simplest controller I could find, so a 20 quid Hornby Select from eBay, updated to the latest software, is now in use !!

I even managed to hardwire a chip into my Sons D842 today, and it worked !

I get the feeling these could be the first steps on a long and expensive road !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't 'playing' with your trainset, I was indeed 'operating', not an ounce of fun or enjoyment was had by anybody on any of those occasions. BradfordBuffer will back me up on that !! :mosking:  :mosking:

Trainset?

TRAINSET?

Oh - go on then............... yes it is.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Start of the next project.

Had these for a while, but not used them.

My Son won't run anything that's 'straight out of the box', if it ain't (at least) weathered it don't get on the layout !!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-59011700-1478021149_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Start of the next project.

Had these for a while, but not used them.

My Son won't run anything that's 'straight out of the box', if it ain't (at least) weathered it don't get on the layout !!

Cheers,

Phil.

Don't forget the graffiti........

post-408-0-53495200-1478038841_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

'Dark Rust', sprayed freehand over the insides, then a thin wash of 'Roof Dirt' sprayed randomly over that.

I've just made a start on the outsides, with a few rusty scratchmarks, although looking at the pics I'm working from MLA's seem more prone to that type of damage than the MCA/MOA/JNA wagons I'm working on.

Patch painted various panels in different shades of Yellow and Maroon as appropriate too, as well as masking some areas up. Just to add some randomness!

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Premium

As a bit of an experiment, the top wagon in the pic has had Humbrol Sand coloured wash applied, using the wipe on wipe off method.

It doesn't show up too much, and may end up disappearing under the rest of the weathering, but it does seem to add 'shadow' around the bodyside ribs.

Ignore the underframe, that will be airbrushed later.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-37181400-1478127243_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rest of the rake got a coat of wash, but this time I used a cotton bud to completely cover all the outside, left it to dry, then gently scrubbed vertically with a toothbrush dipped in White Spirit.

Still think I might be wasting my time, but I figured it can't really hurt !!

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-88335400-1478213373_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Rest of the rake got a coat of wash, but this time I used a cotton bud to completely cover all the outside, left it to dry, then gently scrubbed vertically with a toothbrush dipped in White Spirit.

Still think I might be wasting my time, but I figured it can't really hurt !!

Cheers,

Phil.

That looks a bit Vic Berry-esque to me Phil!

It's worth removing the handbrake indicator on the MOA and replacing it with another triangle of plasticard pointing to the "OFF" position. (I have a rake of MBAs to do)

Cheers,

Mick