Realtrack Class 156

charliepetty

HI All

The cost of not fitting a motor and gearing is not that great , you would all still want all the lights to work so the circuit board would still be the same.

It would not be a big saving so not worth it. 

Regards Arran

I think if I was in the market for a second set to run as a four car I'd rather have one with noise, and a second motored one does at least give you flexibility to have two single units running in opposite directions in different platforms.  Can't say I've had many problems running multiple motored units in multiple so long as the chips are matched.

Edited by wombatofludham

• RMweb Premium

Regional Railways Express, specifically. Regional Railways had the blue bodysides, not the dark grey. Always thought it really suited the 156s.

Huh?  I think you're getting confused here.  The "Express" version is the same livery as applied to the class 158s, and was applied by Regional Railways Central, what became Central Trains, to match their 158 fleet, and was the same grey with thin blue stripes as the 158 livery, as seen in the pic linked above - though that has later CT branding.  

http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-xp.htm

The other Regional Railways livery carried by 156s was RR North West, which was in effect the standard RR blue/white livery but with a green stripe instead of the light blue one.

http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-nw.htm

This, of course, was Provincial livery: 

http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-pr.htm

from which RR livery was developed, although the 156s never carried the standard version. 

The RRNW version should not be confused with the earlier Network North West scheme on class 150s:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51035

Huh? I think you're getting confused here. The "Express" version is the same livery as applied to the class 158s, and was applied by Regional Railways Central, what became Central Trains, to match their 158 fleet, and was the same grey with thin blue stripes as the 158 livery, as seen in the pic linked above - though that has later CT branding.

http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-xp.htm

The other Regional Railways livery carried by 156s was RR North West, which was in effect the standard RR blue/white livery but with a green stripe instead of the light blue one.

http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-nw.htm

This, of course, was Provincial livery:

http://members.madasafish.com/~dysgraphyk/156/class156_liv-pr.htm

from which RR livery was developed, although the 156s never carried the standard version.

The RRNW version should not be confused with the earlier Network North West scheme on class 150s:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51035

I was going to suggest North West Regional Railways livery which I fondly remember, options include with or without Regional Railways branding or First North Western branding, think it lasted till 2004.

• RMweb Premium

It is quite nice, although I never really liked the slightly awkward looking First North Western / North Western First branding.  Incidentally, it wasn't til I was looking at that site a few weeks back for something else I realised that the Lima model (by coincidence my avatar pic, I really ought to change it but that just confuses people, including me, when glancing at posts!) is wrong as it has the Provincial-style fawn colour on the lower bodyside instead of white.  How I've owned it for so long and not spotted that is beyond me!

You two will be happy to know that it was one of the liveries I saw on the stand of Realtrack at the weekend at the show in North Sheilds. Although they might want to check the colour of the band underneath the green stripe.

The model looked very good and detailed. I didnt see one moving but have no doubt that it will be highly reliable (Charlie was busy with two 122s coupled together and admiring the sound of gear changes, with two others watching and nodding approvingly).

The class 156, was on display in the Provincial, Regional railways North East, Scotrail Saltire, First Group Scotrail and I think East Midlands Trains.

Of them all I was interested in the First Group livery as this could become a 156 that was former First North Western, then unbranded and then branded with Northern Rail at the start of the previous franchise. The Provincial liveried unit also looked good, despite these being painted models done that looked for inspection.

A brief discussion was had, as Charlie was still talking (and playing with) about the models they had done in DCC Sound, about what liveries were coming next. Provincial livery and East Midlands are next. I would hope that Northern Rail blue and purple is added, even some with the advertising branding too.

As the first units go out on sale, I think it will be a great selling model, but I am now just waitng for the model to be done in liveries Im waiting for, although the Scotrail one looks like its on the list for conversion to a Northern Unit.

I think Northern and Orange/Black were both listed in the leaflet Charlie had at Blyth, I'll have a look later on.

Having purchased the First Saltire version I have to say it's an impressive beast. There are a couple of realisations though:

a) I wish I'd waited for DCC fitted as it's cheaper than buying the 2 bloody chips separately.

b) The Limby model isn't half bad - the two don't look jarringly different next to each other and with a few minor mods the Limby bodyshell could easily be brought up to standard. The underframe is the obvious letdown - I wonder if Realtrack could be convinced to sell underframe parts as spares since the Hurst kit seems highly unlikely to be re-released (I've been waiting 10 years for it myself and I believe others have been waiting longer still). Can't comment on the mechanism as I'm still waiting on the chips to arrive but I'm sure the Realtrack will be an improvement. Detailing a couple of Limby carriages to run as a dummy unit is a tempting option right now (assuming it has the haulage power).

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the original Orange/Black Strathclyde livery is on the "to do" list somewhere...........................? 

It was on the very first pubicity leaflet that I picked up when 1st announced at Warley last year :)

I contented myself with just the 2 Saltire variants, knowing that the Orange/Black will be coming down the line at some point.

Having purchased the First Saltire version I have to say it's an impressive beast. There are a couple of realisations though:

Oh, didn't realise they had now been shipped out to customers. Pictures, we NEED Pictures !!!

My 2 are being sound fitted so I think it's late August/Early September before I'll have them.

I got mine from RailEx (where I finally managed to see New Bryford - although sadly there was nothing yellow in sight the few times I passed by ;) )

Here we go then as promised. Apologies for the picture quality, taken on a camera phone and the evening light isn't the best.

Fresh out of the box:

36354867095_421afd6442_o.jpg

The underframe detailing really has to be seen to be believed:

36218096481_8ee06a34c8_o.jpg

A quick comparison with the Hornby version:

36354864875_8e8ce92509_o.jpg

And the same for the front ends. I still think the Hornby/Lima bodyshell holds its own given its age:

36354865005_b98e741d39_o.jpg

A little flash to accentuate that front-end detail. Note the new-style marker lights. I'll be interested to see whether older versions have the correct lighting (I'd be surprised if they didn't given the quality of everything else):

36354864165_469d7af976_o.jpg

Then onto the hair-raising bit, fitting the chip. As it turns out the 156 is hands down the easiest model I've ever chipped. Follow the instructions in the manual and the chassis just slides out. (I took the trouble of unplugging the exhaust from the chassis to avoid snagging it):

36354868075_c95c3ec868_o.jpg

Chip fitted:

36354867465_50c6b24a45_o.jpg

With the unit chipped it was time to play with the lights:

36354862885_55ec80d3af_o.jpg

35958120080_90097fdc03_o.jpg

36186245912_93aa33b203_o.jpg

Probably my favourite thing on the model:

36186244682_e518f0aa3c_o.jpg

36186244102_803dbc38f1_o.jpg

The interior is crying out for some passengers (and possibly a few signs/posters etc.):

35519340424_e3fa311441_o.jpg

I understand it's possible to have red lights showing at both ends of the unit but I'm awaiting a second chip to test that. So far the only function I can't seem to find is the orange door warning lights (although the manual has it listed in amongst the sound functions so I'm sure it must be there somewhere). Another oddity is that my Prodigy won't lock on Night running mode (F2) so I'll need to have a look at that.

All in all, very impressive.

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

36354864165_469d7af976_o.jpg

All in all, very impressive.

Thanks for the comprehensive photos. That is one incredible looking model. Absolutely stunning in every aspect.

I'm sure it's prototypically correct, but my OCD is going to go into meltdown though looking at the wraparound spots on the ends :O

Thanks for the comprehensive photos. That is one incredible looking model. Absolutely stunning in every aspect.

I'm sure it's prototypically correct, but my OCD is going to go into meltdown though looking at the wraparound spots on the ends :O

The first image on this page should help you with that proto-identification on the wrap around dots!!

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/class+156

Don't want you going too crazy looking!

I can't wait for my sound/DCC to arrive in Septemberish or whenever it is they are getting to the UK to then be forwarded on the rest of the way here.

Stephen