The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What did you get for Christmas?

Titan

• RMweb Gold

I did...

Didn't anyone get socks?

I did..along with a Ratio kit, a book token (I actually asked for that) and a nice new Merc which I have to wait till March 1st for (my present to me)

The new edition of Gerard Fiennes' 'I Tried To Run A Railway', the 'Network Southeast Story' and the 'Inter-City Story' books, plenty of chocolate, a new jumper, and...

a Supercar Blast driving experience! A couple of hours on a track, in a Ferrari, Audi, Lamborghini, Porsche or Aston Martin.

Fek all to do with railways.

Vodka, Chocolate and Jumper.

BAH FEKKING HUMBUG!

Oh, and an oven that the thermostat had packed up on, so I spent 4 hours in the kitchen opening the oven door every ten minutes to cool the oven, to stop everything burning.

Fek all to do with railways.

Vodka, Chocolate and Jumper.

BAH FEKKING HUMBUG!

Oh, and an oven that the thermostat had packed up on, so I spent 4 hours in the kitchen opening the oven door every ten minutes to cool the oven, to stop everything burning.

Dinner went well apart for the drunken older son getting louder and louder. (He's now asleep).

Mrs and Dragon in law watching Harry Pothead.

So off do do some planning for me trainset.

• RMweb Premium

That's truly sad to hear, hope he's o hope he's okay and wish him a speedy recovery.

Many thanks. He is back home now, but worried that it could happen again anytime. It's not been the best Christmas as my mother passed away very recently, and one of my close friends lost his mother a week later. Those 'friendly/supportive' tags really have helped me through a difficult time, much appreciated.

Well, I got a couple of nice bottles, JD (Tennessee Honey) & Taylor's Port,

a book, Club Triumph - Round Britain Reliability Run - the first 50 years*,

and boxes of chocolates, fudge and cheese(!)

Nothing for the railway, yet, still got Boxing Day at the outlaws!

*an event I've participated in 3 times.

Oh, and some craft beers!

• RMweb Gold

I received a Hornby GWR castle from my wife (which as far as she is concerned is already named Spitfire given she is never happy when I start working on presents...)

Should also have been some comet sides for a pair of centenary restaurants and a composite, but I didn't get round to passing the in laws the list of what to order...

Have now just printed off the full comet list (minus the bow ends, centenarys and Hawksworths) and said anything from that list is good. Much better than receiving yet more 'things' that have no practical use and just take up space around the house until they can eventually make their way into the loft.....

• RMweb Gold

An H&P Peckett - had a job unwrapping it so I clearly did too good a job with that.  An excellent French published photo album of SNCF in the 1950s - lovely stuff, plus Volume ! of the book about the Taunton- Barnstaple line, a small book about Lord Nuffield and The Ladybird Book of The Shed plus a number of exhibition attendance preparation items (soaps etc).

well I got the 16 disc box set of Harry Potter, and a Queen CD from SWMBO. no socks this year, however it just hasnt felt like christmas at all this year. Next year will hopefully be a far better year and Christmas will once again feel like christmas.

• RMweb Premium

A pair of ski socks - well was last skiing in 2010... OK, the Xscape is not too far away but a bit short for an Austrian.

Some Port and Whiskey and some fruit jellies - ideal for somebody having diabetes :scratchhead: (well I said no chocolate - which was working...)

Some woodland scenic trees - well - somebody remembers my hobby...

A new numatic hoover for my workshop - and I discovered the face can be removed :) 

Venturing out from under all the wrapping paper, found I'd been given the latest thrillers from Michael Connelly and Lee Child. New pyjamas seemed to be the thing too.

Railway-wise, got a railway poster art calendar (right size for the kitchen), Butlin's "Diesel & Electric Locomotives for Scrap" (though it doesn't mention DHP1) and Lawrence's "British Rail Designed 1948-97). This is a fascinating read about BR design. Some of the colour pictures are rather small and could've been reproduced better and someone doesn't know their Mk3 from a Mk4 coach, but nevertheless certainly recommended. Hadnt realised that there had been plans to paint a whole train in a livery to match D1000 in its Desert Sand - which was also known as "Cobweb".

A little old lady at our church, who was having a tidy-up, gave me a September 1964 London ABC Railway Guide. Fascinating (used that word twice now) to see the cost of train tickets and how different routes charged differently, eg Fulwell - Waterloo via Richmond was 3/3d, but via Kingston was 3/9d.

Have a good Boxing Day......... :sungum: 

OK, as predicted, beer, chocolate, biscuits, something to wash the resultant mess off with, a sundial, (The last was a bit of a surprise and was the aforementioned interesting looking box )

and a flying visit to the in laws (there is a good model shop about half an hour away by bus and tram) so wooohoo!

Most important though was having the night off work (thank you work) to spend with Mrs SM42 which was a little spoilt by rushing her friend's mum to hospital when she found out she was allergic to something. Fortunately it all worked out well in the end.

Contented Andy

The pleasure of seeing SWMBO's delight when she eventually took the last layer off a very overwrapped present which started off at about 30"x15" but contained just an envelope containing a voucher for a glider experience day. :yes:

New nephew :) ... baby and mother doing fine. Lots of noise, food and excitement when No 2 Son, daughter, fiancée and their enormous hound arrived on Xmas morning. No 1 Son brought his newly-wed wife round on Boxing Day.

Railway front... steam beer with NVR labels, always space in the pantry for good beer.

Archived