RMweb

Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

The Railroad 14xx and autocoach will make a cheaper alternative to the DJM and Bachmann offerings.

Doesn't compare too badly price-wise with second hand ones off eBay either.

Well I must say I've been trying to plough through this thread and have come to the conclusion

This is what Hornby have said they are going to release this year

You either pre order or you don't but what you can't do is change what's going to happen

The only thing that makes me smart is the cost and please don't blame it on brexit because if it cost more to produce you can earn more on the export because people want to buy our stuff

Exactly. In my opinion, Hornby are just another company trying to put up prices and blaming it on Brexit.

I mean £300+ for an HST set when last year's livery was around £200+ is a joke!

I would have thought they would release more class 156 units, possibly with TTS sound, before the new realtrack models are released. There is still plenty of liveries to work through.

They haven't done a 156s for ages... Can't imagine where there would be enough space to easily put a TTS speaker anyway...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Railroad 14xx and autocoach will make a cheaper alternative to the DJM and Bachmann offerings.

I think that is exactly the point of them.  It will be an interesting test of the market and how differing products are received although as I've already posted up-thread the trailer is a good basis for detail modification to make it just right and of course it doesn't directly compete with the Bachmann one.  The loco is however a different story when it comes to direct competition.

• Like 1

Exactly. In my opinion, Hornby are just another company trying to put up prices and blaming it on Brexit.

The £300 price tag includes the "limited edition" markup that is not uncommon in all retail industries. It is up to the consumer to decide if the limited edition is woth the mark-up or not. You can not blame Hornby for exploring alternative means of adding value to their products given the poor performance over the previous couple of years.

The real test will be to see how much the box-shifters charge for it as I suspect they are far more commercially aware when it comes to pricing. You may find it available for around £250 in the shops which is comparable to other limited edition HST packs.

The Brexit effect is no joke, however the I don't believe £300 price tag can not be blamed on it.

• RMweb Gold

Visiting a swapmeet / model shop that does 2nd hand etc will make a cheaper alternative to Hornby's rehashes - by up to 66%*, it's not like those models are thin on the ground.

I'm not going to comment on the actual release program, as negative comment isn't encouraged here...

* airfix 14xx £15, Autocoach £8, both on offer within the last fortnight from mentioned sources.

If my experience is anything to go by, few of the Airfix locos will still run well, if at all, given that they will be about 40 years old. They could be troublesome even when new(ish) and I certainly wouldn't touch one at any price without seeing it run on a layout first.

I replaced mine with a Dapol one a good few years ago, which is still in rude health and, if anything, runs a bit better than newer Hornby examples. Mind you, it has been "got at".

I'll also be getting a DJM one that has the number and combination of details that I really want.

Boxed Airfix Auto-coaches in really good nick usually fetch £12-£15, if you can get a decent one for £8, you are doing very well. Last spring, I picked up a BR maroon Hornby example (which has a much better finish than the old ones) for £20, which was quite a bargain compared with those I've come across since.

John

• RMweb Gold

Let's compare similar items shall we? Anniversary pack £249.99, GWR pack £319.99 so a £70 increase, not the £100 quoted by another poster.

Hornby has not just blamed brexit, they have also talked about rising costs and it is known that the cost of getting something made in China is rising as pay and conditions are improving (something we should not complain about).

As a business Hornby must protect itself against foreseen increases, so maybe they have factored in likely increases between now and anticipated release? It may be that the difference between costs is actually late 2015 v anticipated costs in late 2017.

We seem happyish to pay £150+ for a loco, cost wise to Hornby is there much difference between the power and dummy cars? Probably not. We have been told assemby costs have a significant factor, the dummy is not that simple looking at the service sheet.

Do I think it is too expensive? Yes, do I think Hornby are taking the proverbial? No.

Roy

• Like 1

Visiting a swapmeet / model shop that does 2nd hand etc will make a cheaper alternative to Hornby's rehashes - by up to 66%*, it's not like those models are thin on the ground.

I'm not going to comment on the actual release program, as negative comment isn't encouraged here...

* airfix 14xx £15, Autocoach £8, both on offer within the last fortnight from mentioned sources.

Hardly a "rehash", it's the same item, just new and with a warranty. You pays your money and makes your choice.

As for negative comment not being allowed, have you read this thread? Plenty of criticism, but for the most part, well balanced.

• RMweb Gold

Actually it is not really clear what D400 Hornby are doing. There is a side window replaced with a grille which would suggest the refurbished version. It is only an image and not a picture of the model so it really could be either version as the image is just an impression.

Being positive, it has the leasing disc amidships which would suggest it's the unrefurbished one.... Someone else commented on the axle-boxes and yes there were painted like this from new.

16710621627_0968da68ea_b.jpgD400 by darrener24d, on Flickr

D400 and D401 were unusual compared to the rest of the class in that the other 48 locos only carried MW cables and D numbers for around 6 months from late 1969 and early 1970.

I like the look of the retooled R8154, much better than the version that appeared last year!

Interesting to see the caveat: Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated...

:jester:

Hi gentlemen,

British India Line is likely to prove irresistible to me.However do we know if this will come out with sound decoder facility in the tender and will it reflect those few but noticeable differences with clack valve pipework bends,bend in the ejector pipe over the nameplate on the left hand side and long sand filler?

Thank you,

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Hardly a "rehash", it's the same item, just new and with a warranty. You pays your money and makes your choice.

As for negative comment not being allowed, have you read this thread? Plenty of criticism, but for the most part, well balanced.

Hornby's motor is better than unnecessarily large and oddly-installed effort in the originals, which I, and a few friends, never had a lot of luck with. 

If I were looking for a used 14xx, I'd go for one made by Dapol if the example I already have is anything to go by. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

They haven't done a 156s for ages... Can't imagine where there would be enough space to easily put a TTS speaker anyway...

All the more reason to get some out now before the superior Realtrack ones become available.  There is plenty of space in the boxy underframe for speaker by taking out the weight. The dummy coach doesn't need the weight anyway. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi gentlemen,

British India Line is likely to prove irresistible to me.However do we know if this will come out with sound decoder facility in the tender and will it reflect those few but noticeable differences with clack valve pipework bends,bend in the ejector pipe over the nameplate on the left hand side and long sand filler?

Thank you,

Ed

You won't know until it gets made. The published image will just be a-n-other MN picture (which was probably CGI in the first place) with the identity altered in Photoshop.

John

The £300 price tag includes the "limited edition" markup that is not uncommon in all retail industries. It is up to the consumer to decide if the limited edition is woth the mark-up or not. You can not blame Hornby for exploring alternative means of adding value to their products given the poor performance over the previous couple of years.

The real test will be to see how much the box-shifters charge for it as I suspect they are far more commercially aware when it comes to pricing. You may find it available for around £250 in the shops which is comparable to other limited edition HST packs.

The Brexit effect is no joke, however the I don't believe £300 price tag can not be blamed on it.

This s supposed to be a 'Limited Edition' RRP £250 but currently on offer for  £180.00 at Rails.    £300.00.!!!!!  Would expect some coaches for that price.

https://www.railsofsheffield.com/Hornby-r3403-intercity-125-40th-year-of-service-anniversary-class-43-hst-train-pack-limited-edition-JJJA29927.aspx

• RMweb Gold

Graham, can you please comment on Hornby's use of the term "SR Green" (which you reiterate in your blog) regarding the rebuilt LSWR stock being offered in 2017, and the Maunsell coaches issued in 2016.

I note the distinction being used with "Olive" - which we usually associate with the Maunsell 'period' of SR stock for both locomotives and coaching stock.

i don't mean to be contentious, (and nor do I wish to restart any debate over the actual colour of former SR stock on the Southern Region of BR) but I find such vague terms confusing.

To my eyes this colour is not Malachite. People through around the term "Bulleid Green" as well. Can you help with any terminology that you personally prefer? I consider you more authoritative on this topic than most of us here.

What colours (in broad brush strokes) if you will pardon the pun, were used on SR stock during the grouping period?

Got an SE finecast Schools which I numbered as 30907 Dulwich, but I painted it in lined black cos I think they look best like that. :-)

It's nice to see some older Hornby models being re-released like the excellent Grange and 4MT. (And definitely the "old friend" 14xx, especially for £44!)

And new top-notch stuff like the 48' exLSWR coaches - in green.

** Just spotted Ozexpatriot's post above about the green

- I was going for these new coaches because from what I've read in other threads

1. the green Hornby used on the later SR  Maunsell coaches was the same as on the BR green ones.

2. The 48' ex LSWR ones went before they would have been repainted in BR green therefore any in green at the end of the 50s would still have been in SR green, but varnish/weathering would have made it similar to BR green painted coaches anyway.

This is what I've gleaned from others  knowledge,  but I'm sure Graham can confirm!

Chris, this is the crux of my question. The colour described by Hornby as "SR green" is a nice match for their EMU models. To my eyes it is not the same colour green as the malachite liveried light Pacifics, or the ancient malachite liveried "Bulleid" coaches.

AFAIK the last Crimson/cream coaches on the Southern were BR Mk1 3-sets, of which one or two lasted until about May 1962 before being repainted in green.

Published sources generally tally in stating that Maunsell and Bulleid corridor stock was all back in green by (roughly) the end of 1959.

The "Lyme Regis" stock, by 1961 would have been a green Maunsell corridor 2-set 'W' (supplemented by a crimson BR 64' suburban second when needed) rather than a rebuilt LSWR 2-set. The last of those was withdrawn in the summer of 1958 but some had gone two years earlier, still in re-varnished SR Malachite. Some of the Lavatory thirds lasted into the early 1960s and almost certainly did receive BR green.

The 2017 LSWR rebuilts in "SR green" are shown with sunshine lettering so should be malachite, offering the opportunity to rebrand them with BR identities in line with the prototypes. Hornby used the same green for SR Malachite and BR green on the Maunsell corridors, so I imagine these will be that colour too.

John

I can only go by the same images that you have also seen on the Hornby website. The first versions of the ex LSWR rebuilds in SR livery were unlined olive green which was correct for as the prototypes were first introduced. The 2017 SR versions are shown with Sunshine style lettering which puts them in post war malachite but I like others am not keen on the Hornby version of malachite which does appear too dark to me, I therefore simply followed the Hornby description of SR green.

For clarity I repeat what has been advised elsewhere that none of the 5 two coach sets made it into BR (s) green as the malachite was initially revarnished (appearing darker) or painted unlined crimson and were withdrawn from service around the time that the BR (s) green was introduced. Some of the other two diagrams as loose coaches did however make it into BR (s) green.

I hope that helps.

I doubt the 156 will return given realtrack are working on one. However, as mentioned by Hornby, the announcments end around March, but this is the main one... Really happy with CLIC sergeant and the GWR HST, albeit pricey but its limited etd and although tne coaches are limited with no 1st being available, surely the more hands on of the modellers here could tweak it, after all thats what modelling is about!

• RMweb Premium

Hi gentlemen,

Thank you,

Ed

I'll be more interested in seeing how BIL compares with the real thing due back out on the main line in the coming months................

Cheers,

Mick