RMweb

Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Not necessarily a choice but variety, as the Oxford model is based on the carflat with the ex Stanier coach underframe and this Bachmann announcement is for ones with BR Mk1 coach underframes. I assume they ran together on motorail and car transport movements.

I agree,they will compliment each other well. The blue ones come loaded. One of them with vans...Providing they are Transits of an appropriate model I might have to have some. With the Freight Liner flats and RF 47s it's going to look like Eastleigh yard... PGAs next please

The discussion was about the 150/0s of which there are only 2 - ok they have had a few liveries. All the other three car 150s were never 150/0s, even if they were numbered as such.

You can make a three car hybrid 150/1 /2 easily using spare cars which pop up on ebay and the like quite often.

Roy

It's quite a simple cut up job... https://nigelburkin.wordpress.com/tag/class-1500/

Livery wise there is at least: Original Prototype BR, Centro PTE, Central Trains, Ex-Central Trains/London Midland, FGW and GwR. I hear they will be going to NR soon too...

If (new tolled) 150s were £100 instead of £130-160, I'd certainly do it.)

Edited by centraltrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like there's images going up on the Hatton's site.....

37884 is shown with Europhoenix branding.

Presumably it's a computer generated image - I wonder if they'll do it in the revised version with a large Rail Operations Group on the side?

(Then again, will it have the EMU translator socket?)

• RMweb Gold

The Midland 0-4-4 1P tank, whilst a delightful little locomotive, seems a very curious choice for a main manufacturer to produce as I do not think it has featured at all in previous years "wish list" polls. This would seem to be a locomotive which is very much of minority interest and I suppose that Bachmann hope that it will sell on the basis that it can be provided in a number of attractive liveries.

However what is the point of forums like this having "wish list" polls if manufacturers simply ignore them. I appreciate that Bachmann have probably done their own market research and perhaps this research tells them that this is the right locomotive to produce but I must admit I do have my doubts that it will sell that well, but perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

Sandra

Sanda,

I can't see that the MR 1P is any more curious a choice than say Bachmann's L&Y 2-4-2t and LNWR Webb Coal tank or Hornby's GER J15 and SE&CR H, all on the face of it would appear to be of minority interest. The wish list polls are of little significance considering that there were only 2473 voters in the 00 poll and 552 in the N poll, RMWeb's membership is 30,000+ and it doesn't necessarily include all UK railway modellers! Any company would be foolish in the extreme to base it's business plans on a very small minority of the market!

Still no flush front or headlight fitted 45/1, ahh well next year is 30 years since withdrawal so you never know. 47444 vice a 45 on my passenger diagram it is then.

Now there's a thought. . . . . Next Year celebrate the Trans Pennine Route with Gateshead 47's New 45's with sealed beam and Trans-Pennine coaches . . ..  .pebble dropped :-)

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann has got pictures on there website of their 1P. The BR photo shows a condenser pipes. Wonder if the model will have one? That would be such a shame as I would have to buy two! One with and without.

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold

It's quite a simple cut up job... https://nigelburkin.wordpress.com/tag/class-1500/

Livery wise there is at least: Original Prototype BR, Centro PTE, Central Trains, Ex-Central Trains/London Midland, FGW and GwR. I hear they will be going to NR soon too...

If (new tolled) 150s were £100 instead of £130-160, I'd certainly do it.)

I don't disagree that it can be done, but a poster above was asking for Bachmann to make one. But, the costs of tooling a centre car, IMHO, don't warrant it being done. Depending upon the tooling (i.e. can a 150/1 car have 150/2 driver doors easily?), new driving cars may also be needed.

The fuel tanks are only correct for 150002 in GwR livery. Only 150001 had the larger tank carrying FGW and GwR livery. I don't think any of the other liveries are right as they had the smaller fuel tank when carrying these liveries. I know it is not a huge difference, but given the criticism of manufacturers for not getting it fully right, Bachmann may be reluctant to issue something that is wrong.

So, at the end of the day, is it worth Bachmann to tool up for a class of 2 which (unless they have two fuel tanks) only carried 2 to 4 liveries.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Almost certainly. I can't find the original poster of the new freight sector liveries at the moment but the Railfreight Design Manual (which wasn't all that much of a manual as it happens) which illustrated all the original liveries was published in 1988 so maybe the liveries were in existence a little before then.

I have now delved out the posters, which show all the original complete details for each sub-sector and they are dated November 1988. So did the actual liveries appear in that year or 1987?,

Sub sector liveries were launched at a big event at Ripple Lane on 15 Oct 1987.

Think Bachmann have produced a nice listing and though one can never say that it is possible to please 'All of the people all of the time' I would say they will be pleasing 'Most of the people most of the time.'

Surprised at the following:

No Class 86 - so who's doing that then?

No pretty Caledonian liveried steamer.

No re-tooled 43xx

No rake of new design coaches (playing catch-up)

No more SECR announcements (in 00) thought a Dancehall brake would be a given by someone

No TOPS BR Blue Domino Class 46 or Class 47

Very pleased at the following:

Carflat Motorail

BR Blue Domino Class 20 (adds nicely to my growing fleet ta)

Preserved LNER Liveried B1 1264

Railfreight Red VEA / OBA / BAA

Weyborne Road Bridge

If the MR 1P were to be done (Possibly as a commission) in SDJR sure it would sell like hot cakes.

Thank you Bachmann!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My S&DJR 1P was built on a re-wheeled Triang M7 chassis, c1969, so I would imagine that with the range of modern motors available, it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. I think my boiler may be a bit high, but even so I don't think the manufacturers of a Wickham trolley are going to have too much bother.

attachicon.gifSDJR 044T no14A & 042T no25a c1969.jpg

This photo was taken fairly recently in a temporary setting, for a S&DJR photo book for a friend's retirement present.

Very nice... sorry I wasn't very clear. It's not the motor I'm worried about. It's the weight, or rather the balance of the weight, needed to get sound running, performance and electrical pick up.

Griff

On the whole not too bad, disappointed there's no 86 or OHE multiple unit but some interesting releases.  I might even find a role for the MR 0-4-4 given the MR and LNWR shared stations in the midlands, so why not on my planned LMS terminus.  Puzzled by the lack of a Manor or 433xx, I wonder if they are having a chassis mod worked on but it's been delayed by the need to play catch up on the new releases, or if they are working on new models instead?  Luckily my need for copper kettles is purely for the Dolgellau layout and our visitors are more interested in the scenery than the lack of medium sized ex-GWR motive power so a Standard 4 suffices for now, but it would be nice to see something DCC compatible Manor or 43xx shaped sometime soon.

I suspect the 90, Mk2s and 158 are 18mths-two years away still which is good news as it means this year will be the year of the 87 and Mk3 budget wise!  Oh, plus a Stanier Crab.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting range, pleased to see the Class 44 pre-tops, surprised not to see a Class 85 pre-tops. Welcome back 9F 'Evening Star' (I'll get it this time around, to join my other three); however, Bachmann seem to intimate more to come. First into my shed from Bachmann will be the long and enthusiatically awaited Stanier Mogul, which I had as a 'K's' kit an age ago.

Guest Q663368

If SLW do a 24/1 I doubt the Bachmann version will ever see the light of day.

Roy

The Bachmann one is for future generations. Your grand kids grand kids isn't it.