GWR HST

Revolution Mike B

11 sets of 4 coaches for use on PZ to BTM corridor local use in lieu of 158s now not yet being cascaded. Fitted with sliding doors and cet, first set under conversion at Doncaster due out July for intensive testing before second set done.

• RMweb Gold

11 sets of 4 coaches for use on PZ to BTM corridor local use in lieu of 158s now not yet being cascaded. Fitted with sliding doors and cet, first set under conversion at Doncaster due out July for intensive testing before second set done.

Just deciphered what pizz to bottom actually translates.Many thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Straight from Kernow Models. ''Hornby announce a First Open Mk3 in GWR Green in response to demand, expected July this year OO Gauge''

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/57877/R4815-Hornby-Mk3-Coach-First-Open-TFO-number-41146-in-GWR-Green

From a manufacturer who has the tooling and only needs to redecorate, and who need every Pound they can get in the bank, this is a sensible and sound move.  

For those running present-day themes even allowing for the significant cost of a full or representative set this completes the basic requirements rather than leaving a gaping hole and modellers hoping that one would be released in the future.  Or perhaps not buying at all being uncertain about whether they could ever complete the set without a repainted one.

• Like 2

It may be an option for Hornby to go ahead and produce these limited edition power cars in gloss and later on release a standard production run with different power car numbers (43005/43041 perhaps??) in their 'usual/standard' paint finish.

I could not wish for more, gloss is just not for me in 1:76 scale. Great if you want the power cars on themselves, as it is a high detailed model. Yet the basic Mk3s just would not suit gloss, nor match a gloss power car.

Real shame is I wanted to support Hornby with this model, especially as the GWR plates are etched. That is brilliant. But gloss. Nope. Pre-order cancelled.

I shall wait until more are released, as the HST 'GTI' is promising.

The doors are very interesting indeed, first coaches under the Wabtec lead programme are two from Crosscountry (42370 & 42036) which are now near complete. An ex-Virgin TF has been used as a static test bed for the design. The first four GWR shall follow including 42168 & 44055, though I cannot find the number of the other two coaches! Reportedly they shall all be re-numbered. A design by a Wabtec portfolio company called Vapor Stone Rail Systems. If ever in the States on a train/metro, you have likely been through a similar Vapor Stone design. Very proven and reliable sliding door. Plus involves a lot less cutting to the Mk3 structure than the previous Chiltern led project using Rail Door Solutions.

I am lead to believe 43002 shall be joining all the 43s now in GWR green, along with the First Group owned ones with the remainder made up of Angel Trains owned powercars. Sadly I do not have specific numbers, I was wanting to make sure I was covered for any possible Oxford Rail Mk3 with Vapor Stone doors with 43187/188 and also asked whether 43002 would be remaining in case it pops up as a limited edition (hopefully NOT in gloss).

Alas, I hope Hornby shall produce another GWR 43 pack in the future in normal Hornby satin finish. Sad only the first 4 ex-works 43s have etched nameplates.

Straight from Kernow Models. ''Hornby announce a First Open Mk3 in GWR Green in response to demand, expected July this year OO Gauge''

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/57877/R4815-Hornby-Mk3-Coach-First-Open-TFO-number-41146-in-GWR-Green

Great news, but perhaps I am the only one who is grinning for the excellent marketing by the relevant department at Hornby. Hold back a clearly critical coach, wait for there to be an uproar, then announce you are making one. Brings goodwill all around, but, perhaps because I am in General Election spin mode I am reading too into the lines. Though seeing as production slots and R&D takes years not months to establish before a model is announced, one has a right to be skeptical.

As someone else posted on another thread, lets hope they have the centre coaches planned for T2/800002!

• RMweb Gold

I could not wish for more, gloss is just not for me in 1:76 scale. Great if you want the power cars on themselves, as it is a high detailed model. Yet the basic Mk3s just would not suit gloss, nor match a gloss power car.

Real shame is I wanted to support Hornby with this model, especially as the GWR plates are etched. That is brilliant. But gloss. Nope. Pre-order cancelled.

I shall wait until more are released, as the HST 'GTI' is promising.

The doors are very interesting indeed, first coaches under the Wabtec lead programme are two from Crosscountry (42370 & 42036) which are now near complete. An ex-Virgin TF has been used as a static test bed for the design. The first four GWR shall follow including 42168 & 44055, though I cannot find the number of the other two coaches! Reportedly they shall all be re-numbered. A design by a Wabtec portfolio company called Vapor Stone Rail Systems. If ever in the States on a train/metro, you have likely been through a similar Vapor Stone design. Very proven and reliable sliding door. Plus involves a lot less cutting to the Mk3 structure than the previous Chiltern led project using Rail Door Solutions.

I am lead to believe 43002 shall be joining all the 43s now in GWR green, along with the First Group owned ones with the remainder made up of Angel Trains owned powercars. Sadly I do not have specific numbers, I was wanting to make sure I was covered for any possible Oxford Rail Mk3 with Vapor Stone doors with 43187/188 and also asked whether 43002 would be remaining in case it pops up as a limited edition (hopefully NOT in gloss).

Alas, I hope Hornby shall produce another GWR 43 pack in the future in normal Hornby satin finish. Sad only the first 4 ex-works 43s have etched nameplates.

Great news, but perhaps I am the only one who is grinning for the excellent marketing by the relevant department at Hornby. Hold back a clearly critical coach, wait for there to be an uproar, then announce you are making one. Brings goodwill all around, but, perhaps because I am in General Election spin mode I am reading too into the lines. Though seeing as production slots and R&D takes years not months to establish before a model is announced, one has a right to be skeptical.

As someone else posted on another thread, lets hope they have the centre coaches planned for T2/800002!

It's my understanding that there will not be a satin version of the green HST due to the difficulty in reproducing the matt GWR stripe. I've had quite a few conversations with Hornby now and it's not going to happen. I'll probably end up giving it a coat of satin but this in turn provides an headache if they decide to stick the bloody windows in with the same glue as before.....it gets very tedious painting the windows with maskol! 

It's my understanding that there will not be a satin version of the green HST due to the difficulty in reproducing the matt GWR stripe. I've had quite a few conversations with Hornby now and it's not going to happen. I'll probably end up giving it a coat of satin but this in turn provides an headache if they decide to stick the bloody windows in with the same glue as before.....it gets very tedious painting the windows with maskol! 

Are you able to confirm that the Mk3s are also to be produced in gloss? Least they then shall match!

Does this imply the GWR livery on the Hitachi Class 800 shall also be gloss? As their technical details online make no mention of this.

That is another concern, the glue. I recently destroyed a Mk3 DVT to re-spray into de-branded 'ex-One' colours and the windows when trying to remove decided to take the body with them! I certainly am not going to touch a £280 locomotive to re-varnish and risk widow 'gate' again.

It is odd that Bachmann are able to reproduce the GWR green livery correctly with a 'dull' finish with matt GWR branding on the upcoming Class 150/2 (150232). As well as GWR themselves commissioning a professional re-sprayer to deliver a Mk3, HST and 166 in GWR green matt-satin finish correctly for publicity when GWR launched....see Precision Labels website for information: http://www.precisionlabels.com/d77gwr.html?new

The trick is to use a different shade (I seem to have been told a slight addition of white to the mix), rather than attempt it in the final varnish finish. (Bachmann pre-production image attached)

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/32-940.jpg&cat_no=32-940&info=0&width=800&height=255

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Premium

Hi mate,

I'd definitely try the Maskol application route on the windows and then blowing over with the varnish of your choice - definitely not worth taking out the windows - I do this all the time now and the result looks just as decent as taking out and replacing the windows, they never go back in as smoothly!  :)

Edited by James Makin

There are going to be 4 power/dummy cars? Don't Hornby just make the one pair normally?

Hornby are making just one pair 43187 & 43188 at present. 

The other ones listed is ones that have been converted on the real railway.

42073 and 42177 are the other 2 coaches. Power cars so far are 093/188/194/198.

There's also 43005, 43041, 43187 that's been done.

• RMweb Gold

Are you able to confirm that the Mk3s are also to be produced in gloss? Least they then shall match!

Does this imply the GWR livery on the Hitachi Class 800 shall also be gloss? As their technical details online make no mention of this.

That is another concern, the glue. I recently destroyed a Mk3 DVT to re-spray into de-branded 'ex-One' colours and the windows when trying to remove decided to take the body with them! I certainly am not going to touch a £280 locomotive to re-varnish and risk widow 'gate' again.

It is odd that Bachmann are able to reproduce the GWR green livery correctly with a 'dull' finish with matt GWR branding on the upcoming Class 150/2 (150232). As well as GWR themselves commissioning a professional re-sprayer to deliver a Mk3, HST and 166 in GWR green matt-satin finish correctly for publicity when GWR launched....see Precision Labels website for information: http://www.precisionlabels.com/d77gwr.html?new

The trick is to use a different shade (I seem to have been told a slight addition of white to the mix), rather than attempt it in the final varnish finish. (Bachmann pre-production image attached)

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/32-940.jpg&cat_no=32-940&info=0&width=800&height=255

Where have you got the fact that the HST is a matt satin finish from? It's gloss....I have the paint that GWR use!

Hornby are making just one pair 43187 & 43188 at present. 

The other ones listed is ones that have been converted on the real railway.

There's also 43005, 43041, 43187 that's been done.

5,41,187 are green but have not yet been modified for the air control yet unlike the other 4.

5,41,187 are green but have not yet been modified for the air control yet unlike the other 4.

Hi, i forgot to add afterwards that they were not yet converted/modified but are being kept on.

43194 has transfers for its GWlogo, I'm told. I'm not sure if that goes for all the "GTi" power cars.

I think i read somewhere that all of the HST GTI power cars will only receive the vinyl GWR Logo due to it being easier to clean/maintain. 

Samuel.

Edited by sc2016

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I e-mailed Hornby this week and they have stated that the MK3's will be finished in Gloss paint with Matt on the roofs. Hope the gloss finish isn't too shiny.

At least the coaches will match the power cars. Wonder how they will do the stripe on them. Matte finish to the stripe maybe?

At least the coaches will match the power cars. Wonder how they will do the stripe on them. Matte finish to the stripe maybe?

The stripes are being done in matte. The gloss finish is to get a better representation of the livery's matte-gloss effect.

Isn't the limited edition nature of the Power Cars the reason for the gloss? I guess we will find out in a future Engine Shed blog.

It was probably the other way around, it was made limited edition because of the nature of the livery. Too bad I cannot afford this or the IEP, not complaining about prices, it seems to keep in line with the trend on pricing. But I absolutely love the way Hornby are doing this.

• RMweb Premium

It was probably the other way around, it was made limited edition because of the nature of the livery. Too bad I cannot afford this or the IEP, not complaining about prices, it seems to keep in line with the trend on pricing. But I absolutely love the way Hornby are doing this.

Great to hear someone else likes Gloss liveried models.

• Like 1

I e-mailed Hornby this week and they have stated that the MK3's will be finished in Gloss paint with Matt on the roofs. Hope the gloss finish isn't too shiny.

That's definitely me out. I just don't like gloss on OO. I wish I did as I'd love an HST in this livery and don't really want to fork out for the power cars and MK3's and end up hitting them with an air brush. I do wish Hornby the very best with this though, great to see them making a real effort with modellers desires. But you never know, I may change my mind when I see it sat in my local model shop.