The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Forum Name basis

Hilux5972

johnb because years ago I was in a group where there were six other Johns. Also because like others my surname is easily recognisable and I like to be in the background.

Edited by johnb
  • Like 1

It could have been worse. Your surname could have been "Hunt".

I kid you not - I used to have a colleague in the SR electrification department called "Carl Hunt"

Mine is 'cos I was 46 at the time and (until I decided that I was too good for Network Rail) a Southern Region man for 30 years. Could do with changing it to something different but I cannot work out how ...............

• RMweb Gold

I always loved the names given to the D11/2s and Luckie Mucklebackit was my favourite, I wanted to use this as a user name but it was already taken so I adapted it to Luckymucklebackit.  Glad I did as Luckie was a woman in Sir Walter Scotts novel "The Antiquary"

Jim

And that moniker was always a favourite in our games of railway engine name hangman at school...

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It could have been worse. Your surname could have been "Hunt".

I started school with a Michael Hunt.  At that age we had no idea why the teacher was giggling whenever she called his name.  We were blessed with Ivor Beard in the same class as well though at that age he failed to live up to his name.

• RMweb Gold

I kid you not - I used to have a colleague in the SR electrification department called "Carl Hunt"

Mine is 'cos I was 46 at the time and (until I decided that I was too good for Network Rail) a Southern Region man for 30 years. Could do with changing it to something different but I cannot work out how ...............

I used to work with a guy called Ian Kerr, no joke, his brother was called Wayne.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

When the Freightliner 66/6s arrived my son and I went to Crewe to photograph them, his favourite was 66606, because of the 66/6 sub class they gained the nickname "beasts" -  a few days later we joined an on-line war game and it needed a game name - "Use beast66606" my lad suggested ... and I have, even since.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I started school with a Michael Hunt.  At that age we had no idea why the teacher was giggling whenever she called his name.  We were blessed with Ivor Beard in the same class as well though at that age he failed to live up to his name.

A girl in primary school was Teresa Green! Perhaps she married a Mr Brown?

• RMweb Premium

there was an aussie rugby league player at Oldham called  Wayne Kerr caused a few chuckles at away grounds over the tannoy also imagine that over the tannoy with aproper strine accent

There was person at the GEC Binley Road, Coventry in the 1970s called Peter Nutt, so you can guess how he was addressed over the Tannoy!

(N.B. I used spend time working there, but not for GEC, as part of my job)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

When the Freightliner 66/6s arrived my son and I went to Crewe to photograph them, his favourite was 66606, because of the 66/6 sub class they gained the nickname "beasts" -  a few days later we joined an on-line war game and it needed a game name - "Use beast66606" my lad suggested ... and I have, even since.

I had never thought of RMweb as being a war game but on second thoughts having seen some threads maybe I was wrong.

• RMweb Premium

Mine was going to be after "Legend of the Seas" one of my favourite cruise ships, but I realised that typing of the seas would get a bit laborious over time , so settled for Legend as shorthand. I actually don't like it , as it seems a bit pretentious in retrospect and I'm certainly not a legendary modeller. In a recent thread Les Miserables was mentioned and that's certainly much more up my street , as I'm on a constant quest for value for money (it's part of the day job)