RMweb

Bargain Hunters Mark 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry if this has been posted earlier but amongst the many proper bargains on the Kernow site the latest Bachmann 24s at £190 Sound Fitted strike me as particularly good value. Its a cracking project on a Zimo decoder.  All liveries currently available 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Ebay have a 20% discount that applies to a list of selected sellers until the 31st of July. The list is long and varied, but I found this seller has a huge range of new and pre owned model railway items:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/footplateofkidderminster?_pgn=4

minimum spend is £20, maximum discount per transaction is £60, limit of 3 transactions. Code is “APPLY20”.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some bargains to be had at the Hobby Shop at Faversham, such as Hornby LNWR six-wheeler for half price:

https://hobb-e-mail.com/Hornby-r40122-lnwr-3rd-class-brake-coach-7463---half-price-45632-p.asp

lots of others too including LSWR liveried coaches...

link for sale page is -- https://hobb-e-mail.com/model-railways-975-c.asp

cheers,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, big jim said:

Not sure how long this deal is on for but Amazon has the Hornby transport for wales MK4 DVT for £66 

Deal: Hornby R40190 Transport for Wales, Mk4 DVT, 82229-Era 11 Coach, Grey https://amzn.eu/d/7AgJP59

£63 here and £137 for the 67.

https://365games.co.uk/toys/toys/arts-crafts/model-kits/Hornby-transport-for-wales-class-67-bo-bo-67014-era-11/

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Ighten said:

New Hornby outlet sale has just begun...

Dont forget..

As a club member you get a further 10% off the sale price…

and your earning “wheels”, hobby rewards worth another 10% off a future purchase.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2023 at 11:05, adb968008 said:

Dont forget..

As a club member you get a further 10% off the sale price…

and your earning “wheels”, hobby rewards worth another 10% off a future purchase.

Not sure you do get the 10% off on the sale price in the outlet?

23 hours ago, amwells said:

Not sure you do get the 10% off on the sale price in the outlet?

I think it depends when you joined the club. They changed the benefits earlier this year so that members now earn 15% bonus points instead of the 10% discount. The new benefits are worse since non-members earn 10% reward points anyway.

Topcashback are also offering 5.25% cashback on Hornby.com

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Modellbahnunion have a wide selection of OO gauge bargains (mainly Hornby).

Most significant is 21C1 Channel Packet for €135.42 - excluding P&P and VAT. I realise there will be import duty to pay, but I calculate the total cost to be ~£190 - which is still a decent saving on the UK retailers. 

They have a selection of other tempting stuff including Railroad class 40s for <€58.77 plus P&P and taxes - worth a trawl: https://www.modellbahnunion.com/e-vendo.php?shop=modellbahn-union-en

They also give out freebies with orders based on the value of your order, which is a nice touch.

Steve

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

Great, what's the vat and customs situation on stuff from Germany? 

It depends.

They shouldn't charger you VAT when you order it, it will be for our customs to pick it up on the way into the country.

Some stuff will probably get through without you being charged, but don't buy anything without the expectation to pay it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It depends.

They shouldn't charger you VAT when you order it, it will be for our customs to pick it up on the way into the country.

Some stuff will probably get through without you being charged, but don't buy anything without the expectation to pay it.

Correct the price quoted excludes German VAT and shipping. 

You can choose DHL or UPS to ship (€2 difference between them). 

I expect to pay VAT on arrival, but it may not get levied - depends on how Modellbahnunion complete the paperwork.

Lidl have some useful small tools in this weeks DIY offers selection

https://www.lidl.co.uk/c/diy/a10027674

eg:

12v cordless rotary tool

micro drill bit set

rotary tool accessories

inspection tool set

helping hand LED magnifier

and bigger stuff.

Misread the date on the website, its all available NEXT week, 7th Sept.

Edited by Hroth
update...
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Ducking Giraffe said:

German VAT is 19%. 

So expect that deducted at checkout (MBU do do this ) and expect to pay 20% UK VAT on arrival into the UK (so roughly the same price overall ) plus £11-£15 in admin fees from the courier. (DHL I think charge 2.5% or £11 minimum)

If its still a bargain to you when that is taken into account  then all is good

Keep fingers crossed it gets through with nothing to pay

MBU have some good deals on quite a diverse collection of items.  Definitely a site worth keeping an eye on

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1

On 31/08/2023 at 13:00, Ducking Giraffe said:

The last time I ordered from MBU, it was EU 233.15 for 9 0 gauge waggons; note that the price shown reduces after you select UK delivery and german VAT is removed.

The card charge was £203 and I paid a total of £264 including tax/vat/handling fee. The best UK price for that lot was about £501! E.g 6 wheel  milk tanker usually at least £70 UKP worked out at £37.52.

It worked out as £1.17 per EURO listed on the site. I think you might get an even better deal if you order total, including postage, is less than £135 as this is under the import charge threshold.

On 31/08/2023 at 21:51, Hroth said:

https://www.lidl.co.uk/c/diy/a10027674

eg:

12v cordless rotary tool

micro drill bit set

rotary tool accessories

inspection tool set

helping hand LED magnifier

and bigger stuff.

Misread the date on the website, its all available NEXT week, 7th Sept.

Yeah, I made a special trip to Lidl this morning to get some of these items.

Wasn't a loss though, came away with clamps and some really small heat-shrink tubing (1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm etc). Perfect for loco wiring.

20230902_180643.jpg.16a4812ee00e9299660f13da62d03491.jpg

• Like 3

On 31/08/2023 at 21:51, Hroth said:

But what I am waiting for is their glass display cabinet! Previously a snip at £49.99, I suspect the cost of corporate greed living crisis will bump the price up a little, but I am now at the point of requiring a second cabinet in order to release my loco collection from their storage boxes (and be able to have shelves dedicated to certain classes or even types of locomotives!)

Lidl did have a really fine looking dowel sinking tool to allow holes to be accurately drilled for joining wood - like a plonker, I left it to the following week and all the stock had gone! Can’t go much wrong for £7.99 really, can you?

Steve S

• Like 1