• RMweb Premium

1/32 inch .75ish mm you do not see that very often.

Edit: "Most historians agree that Gabriel Mouton, the vicar of St. Paul’s Church in Lyons, France, is the “founding father” of the metric system. He proposed a decimal system of measurement in 1670."

Hi David

When I worked at Marconi's there was a drawing for a components box cover that was a rectangle with four holes drilled in the corners. On the drawing it said " All dimensions in millimeters. To be made form 1/8 inch stock steel."

• RMweb Premium

Hi David

When I worked at Marconi's there was a drawing for a components box cover that was a rectangle with four holes drilled in the corners. On the drawing it said " All dimensions in millimeters. To be made form 1/8 inch stock steel."

Clive,

At Ferranti they had just gone fully metric. A collegue wanted a 15cm cube from the joiners shop. The first delivery was in the joiners pocket, the second took 2 of them to carry it....

Edited by dhjgreen

• RMweb Premium

more stock piling...

£10 delivered from the eBay.

attachicon.gifSleeps.jpg

love the mix of Napoleon & Empire

As my lecturer used to say to us:

"Action Not Inertia!"

Never did finish my foundation course

Wot, as in 4 mm to the foot?

Those sleepers haven't been on the market for over 40 years now I reckon. They are much thinner than those currently available - are you sure they will do what you want them to?

• RMweb Premium

As long as rail can be soldered to them they will do the job I have intended for them. I can always pack them out to raise them if needs be. I'll be using SMP flexi on the whole but with the odd copperclad sleep or two here and there.

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Plan of attack with said slim sleeps is to drill holes through them to pass the wires for the track feeds through and solder them between the rail and copperclad and hide the mess with some C&L / Exacterscale chairs... it's a plan anyway.

post-1328-0-93298100-1511886288_thumb.jpg*

If it don't work I'll just electric glue them to the sides or sumfing...

*slow day at work today, thinking of mash and homemade pie for tea.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tim

I see the timbers though described as 00 are 34 mm long, which is correct for 8'6" in P4 & EM gauges. 9' for 00

Bit of a trim then, thanks for pointing that out, they'll sit along side SMP flexi.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Tim

I see the timbers though described as 00 are 34 mm long, which is correct for 8'6" in P4 & EM gauges. 9' for 00

Bit of a trim then, thanks for pointing that out, they'll sit along side SMP flexi.

Cheers

That's a good point John. SMP 00 sleepers are 32 mm long. This give about the same projection outside the rail as 34 mm sleepers do in EM or P4, which is why the track looks "right" despite the narrower gauge.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Plan of attack with said slim sleeps is to drill holes through them to pass the wires for the track feeds through and solder them between the rail and copperclad and hide the mess with some C&L / Exacterscale chairs... it's a plan anyway.

attachicon.gifTrack Feeds.jpg*

If it don't work I'll just electric glue them to the sides or sumfing...

*slow day at work today, thinking of mash and homemade pie for tea.

To be honest, Tim, just solder the wire to the underside of the rail between the sleepers, you'll never notice it, once the track's weathered and ballasted. That's how I've done all my layouts so far.

• RMweb Premium

It might be less dangerous if you were to go and buy some of Mr Peco's bullyboy turnouts (P4 talk)

Not after all the gobbing off I've done about them, no, not really.

Only joking they're fab and I'm only one blade away from disappointment on a major scale (see wot I done there) !

This means, as last week, it's ready to trim to size and fit, unfortunately that's a job for next week when I've healed sufficiently.

H.H. Crippen 

• RMweb Premium

If you get your fingers out of the way I can see if you have flared the wing and check rails!

I have but in Templot style (which is not very much at all).

post-1328-0-76937000-1512132526_thumb.jpg

The next attempt will be based more on fact than fiction by looking at the prototype in detail... honest

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have but in Templot style (which is not very much at all).

attachicon.gifBellbottoms.jpg

The next attempt will be based more on fact than fiction by looking at the prototype in detail... honest

Good job the Peco nerds are unlikely visitors, your check rails only cover 4 sleepers/timbers!

• RMweb Premium

Not after all the gobbing off I've done about them, no, not really.

Only joking they're fab and I'm only one blade away from disappointment on a major scale (see wot I done there) !

This means, as last week, it's ready to trim to size and fit, unfortunately that's a job for next week when I've healed sufficiently.

H.H. Crippen 

One has to admire those who suffer for their art. :good:

• RMweb Premium

Tim

Looking very good, buy an EMGS switch blade filing jig if you intend to build more, saves stabbing yourself

The embarrassing thing is, I have one. It's when I'm polishing up the blades with fine Emery paper I stab myself. Will keep them in the jig from now on.

Cheers

One has to admire those who suffer for their art. :good:

Preferable to cutting off my ear ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

The embarrassing thing is, I have one. It's when I'm polishing up the blades with fine Emery paper I stab myself. Will keep them in the jig from now on.

Cheers

Preferable to cutting off my ear ;)

Polishing the blades with emery.....blimey!

Mr Tricket, my instructor in apprentice training school (1967) would be most impressed.

• Like 1