Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Gold

So your not knowing or being able not to know of the existance of the divine or of the supernatural, or even a God in the Christian sense is what you feel? Ummmmmm, interesting situation to be in as regards Hornby. Divine they may be, supernatural some of their production ideas may also have been, but God of Model Railways? Sorry, that's Andy York. 

All hail the Yorky (I nearly said Porky Yorky, but I value my life.)

A. Men

Odd coincidence that you should mention that fellah as I saw his doppelganger loading his shopping in his car at our local Tesco yesterday.  I wondered why he'd come that far to do his shopping but fortunately realised it wasn't him just before I asked.

The 2-EPB is an interesting, and relevant, case.  When they first came out they were just over £100, and when the unpopularly liveried ones went as bargains were down (IF I remember correctly) at £69.  NOW, they retail at near enough £200, discounted to £187 odd !!!  And that is, presumably, with the development costs having been recouped on the many first batches.

£200/£187 is a ridiculous price for two coaches and a "simple" motor bogie - but that is where we are.

• Like 1

The 2-EPB ... first came out they were just over £100,...bargains were down... at £69.  NOW, they retail at near enough £200, discounted to £187 ....

We got lucky with the timing of the burst of Bachmann and Hornby MU releases I feel, they came out just as the 'low price era' was ending. Bachmann's 4CEP could be had for a clearly cheap as chips £69 at one time: a modest price for an offering equivalent to 4 x mk1 coaches, one of them with a power unit, and - in UK market terms - an ambitious through wiring provision and lighting fit. 'The problem' is that these are now bigger ticket items of necessity, with multiple vehicles in a pack; but for many (most?) lacking the glamour that generally attaches to locomotives at similar prices, so likely to gain fewer purchases.

As a result my guess would be 'that's all folks' for new MU introductions, but a Railroad style exploitation of an earlier but still decent tooling from Hornby's own older tooling or Lima acquisitions, might be possible if the range needed a BR first gen MU.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that no-one's discussed anything from left field.  In the last few years Hornby have given us DoG, CoTN and Crosti 9F in the Railroad range and sometimes with full fat variants as well, all of which seem to me to have been well received.  I've no need or desire for one myself, but I could see Hornby quite possibly covering their costs if they did a RR Turbomotive.

Alright... Bulleid Leader,

I'd have several, at least 5, for my ex LSWR BLT that I also haven't built yet.

Ar$e

Interesting that no-one's discussed anything from left field.  In the last few years Hornby have given us DoG, CoTN and Crosti 9F in the Railroad range and sometimes with full fat variants as well, all of which seem to me to have been well received...

What with the 'original thoughts' P2 tooling clearly having provision for the sexy sextet in the streamlined final form, that would be my left field product thought. Especially if they offered them in BR green, authenticity be damned.

... I could see Hornby quite possibly covering their costs if they did a RR Turbomotive.

As they have the biggun on the go at present, I should think the other LMS pacific group is planned two or three years hence. No doubt in my mind that a new tooled Princess would sell, as the present model is very weak in relation to current standards in their range, and they would be mad not to do the Turbomotive variant while about that, since it has never been previously available RTR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What with the 'original thoughts' P2 tooling clearly having provision for the sexy sextet in the streamlined final form, that would be my left field product thought. Especially if they offered them in BR green, authenticity be damned.

As they have the biggun on the go at present, I should think the other LMS pacific group is planned two or three years hence. No doubt in my mind that a new tooled Princess would sell, as the present model is very weak in relation to current standards in their range, and they would be mad not to do the Turbomotive variant while about that, since it has never been previously available RTR.

Indeed I think Hattons chose the wrong one when they selected the King a few years back. Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Alright... Bulleid Leader,

I'd have several, at least 5, for my ex LSWR BLT that I also haven't built yet.

Ar$e

The MiM have been trying to persuade certain group of individuals to produce the Leader - however all efforts made to try and persuade them have failed so far... (the Grand Inquisitor is of the opinion that these individuals, are actually fully signed up members of the Brotherhood of Urieists - who are extremely depraved*)  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

* They dunk Garibaldi biscuits in coffee...

• Like 1

Kerosene Castle anyone?

attachicon.gifKerosene Castle.jpg

Photo: Rob Hawkins

I've put that forward to more than one manufacturer on more than one occasion. So far, no takers, but given the success of the 10000 models, Deltic, and now the Bulleid diesels it is, to my mind, a blindingly obvious runaway winner. In view of it being a gas turbine, I even tried to get Mr Gas Turbine himself interested but it has been a unanimous 'no' all round. (CJL)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

So what is the biscuit of choice of the MiM then?

So I'm told - the Grand Inquisitor likes a Dark Chocolate Hobnob to dunk and whatever he likes to dunk, the rest of the MiM also dunk.. 

Though if the rumours are true, a previous incumbent of the Grand Inquisitor position liked to dunk actual Swindonisters and Stanierists in hot tar and feathers...

... though all records of this have been wiped from the MiM's official records ;) 

Edited by toboldlygo

I've put that forward to more than one manufacturer on more than one occasion. So far, no takers, but given the success of the 10000 models, Deltic, and now the Bulleid diesels it is, to my mind, a blindingly obvious runaway winner. In view of it being a gas turbine, I even tried to get Mr Gas Turbine himself interested but it has been a unanimous 'no' all round. (CJL)

I think it's a Kernow type of commission rather than a main manufacturer or perhaps Rapido but would it be left field enough to for them to do it without Rails support.

• Like 1

It could be sold for min £100 as businesses don't pay normal rates because they buy in bulk so the cost for each part/motor works out cheaper.

It does not matter what the item is be it a loco, MU or a piece of scenery you need to factor in VAT, import duty tax, licensing fees,

R & D, shopping costs etc... before you even put a margin on the item, oh and don’t forget the exchange rate!

My guesses:

Blue air-smoothed Merchant Navy

Crosti 9F in late condition with the pre-heating boiler removed.

P2/2

A2/3 pacific - by now the lowest hanging fruit on the Big Engines with Names tree - and they did have wonderful names.

SECR D 4-4-0

J36 WW1 tie-in, long-lived and multiple livery options.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The only winner will be the one that does it, but there can only be one winner.

A few years ago, some were saying that nearly all non-steam locomotives had been done. It occurred to me that, apart from singletons, there were still three series available: DC electrics, early AC electrics and gas turbines. DC electrics are on their way although the 74s seem to taking a lot of time and the 70s remain to be done. Gas turbines haven’t been touched (one might even be fettled to produce a Class 80 as well) nor have Classes 81 to 84.

I’m inclined to agree with dibber25. The Bulleid diesels are a clue to the sales potential of the three gas turbines.

I’d also say that the interest in the 87 and 90 might indicate that a dabble in earlier AC electrics would be justified but probably a 91 and an 89 would be tried first. Bachmann’s rather nice 85, we are told, has sold steadily rather than spectacularly, so there just might be a little caution when it comes to AC electrics. It depends, I suppose, on how many 87s and 90s we snap up.

• Like 1