Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

Yes it is, however it is fun and there have no handbags at dawn.......... yet. 

F. Oamyliscious

post-7075-0-58701000-1513356567.jpg

Mmm. January 10, 2018 and the Margate Women's Institute re-enact a recent meeting between Hornby and Bachmann 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifthQI9YDNH9.jpg

Mmm. January 10, 2018 and the Margate Women's Institute re-enact a recent meeting between Hornby and Bachmann 

For a moment I thought that was a scene from the England Cricket Team's after match party on the pitch after the Second Test. However I then realised that if you look carefully in the background you can see not only the Minnis Bay Lifeboat Station, but a carefully product placed GWR Artic Set....wowser.

Ava Laffter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.... let us guess the price before the model is even a thought in the designers head. :good:

The RRP of recent, unpowered, coach releases seems to have settled between £45 and £70 apiece.  Before discounting, Dapol railcars/bubbles are £145 a go and a pair of Hornby HST power cars (one unpowered) is up around the £200 mark already.

The same sort of level for a 3-car DMU looks like a pretty good, perhaps slightly conservative, educated guess to me.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

A DMU for £200? I don1t know what standards you are expecting, but if it was to the same standards of the new mk1 coaches, i`d be happy. They are on evilbay for £30 a pop, so that x3 for a 3 car, plus £25 for the motor bogie, and a extra £15 mark up for profit, would give a DMU for £130 top, maybe less for those people selling on smaller margins.

Then you could have more expensive versions with interior lights, head/tail lights, maybe even TTS chis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As Lyndon Davies was only appointed some weeks ago, it's premature to expect much synergy between Hornby and Oxford Rail for 2018.

We don't know what Oxford Rail's intentions are until they make their announcements at the London Toy and Hobby Fair.

However what Hornby could release to go with Oxford Rail's Mk3s are a specially tooled-up Mk1 BG with B4 bogies, no roof periscope, deletion of carriage end steps and no continuous moulded roof and end handrails.

A RBR to the same standards would also be highly desirable, as well as the reintroduction of the DVT.

Eventually a decision will have to be made on clearly differentiating between the standard Hornby range vs. Railroad and how Oxford Rail's range fits into the broader picture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A DMU for £200? I don1t know what standards you are expecting, but if it was to the same standards of the new mk1 coaches, i`d be happy. They are on evilbay for £30 a pop, so that x3 for a 3 car, plus £25 for the motor bogie, and a extra £15 mark up for profit, would give a DMU for £130 top, maybe less for those people selling on smaller margins.

Then you could have more expensive versions with interior lights, head/tail lights, maybe even TTS chis.

I think that any given set will inevitably be cheapo OR full fat, not a choice of either.

John

• RMweb Gold

I like your idea of a lower detailed DMU/EMU. But is it fair. We can have a full fat Coronation etc. But the diesel fans have to make do.

If someone made a 302/3/4/5/7/8 at the quality of the new railroad mk1’s and even used a railroad class 73 motor mechanism for the driving bogie i’d be more than happy, indeed some of the early Wolverton emu designs used Gresley bogies and Hornby has those already.

Thing is 3x mk1’s (£41.99 each) and a railroad 73 £99, means price of a 4 car railroad EMU is approx £220 rrp.

Railroad might get you more EMU/DMU for your money, but 4 car railroad or 2 car full fat, your still paying £200 for it in the future.

the £200 DMU already lives amongst us, it’s just that Hornby hasn’t made one yet., 156 anyone ?

https://realtrackmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=152

That’ll set you back £220..

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

For a moment I thought that was a scene from the England Cricket Team's after match party on the pitch after the Second Test. However I then realised that if you look carefully in the background you can see not only the Minnis Bay Lifeboat Station, but a carefully product placed GWR Artic Set....wowser.

Ava Laffter

And in the far background what is clearly a big house on the prairie hill.  So hill obviously means Hill which must mean something of GE origin - there, that ought to get the froth flowing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And in the far background what is clearly a big house on the prairie hill.  So hill obviously means Hill which must mean something of GE origin - there, that ought to get the froth flowing.

Oh bu##er, we have all been thinking loco's and stock. It is actually a new RTP Skaledale or Scenecraft (or same from each) item.

post-2326-0-43232900-1513370358.jpg

Nite Jimbob

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

If someone made a 302/3/4/5/7/8 at the quality of the new railroad mk1’s and even used a railroad class 73 motor mechanism for the driving bogie i’d be more than happy, indeed some of the early Wolverton emu designs used Gresley bogies and Hornby has those already.

Thing is 3x mk1’s (£41.99 each) and a railroad 73 £99, means price of a 4 car railroad EMU is approx £220 rrp.

Railroad might get you more EMU/DMU for your money, but 4 car railroad or 2 car full fat, your still paying £200 for it in the future.

the £200 DMU already lives amongst us, it’s just that Hornby hasn’t made one yet., 156 anyone ?

https://realtrackmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=152

That’ll set you back £220..

Now someone is on the same wavelength as me, yes to AC Mk1 EMUs.

Sounds like the Class 110 then.

Or the Limby 101.

o.k. not state of the art but good models for their time.

I'm currently agnostic about Hornbys 2018 programme.

Yes it will be interesting as to what they are proposing but I've a Peckett on preorder that is currently slated for Q2 2018 and to be honest it'd take a ruddy great surprise to encourage me to consider any more locos or rolling stock at present!

Anyhow, carry on frothing, chaps!

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently agnostic about Hornbys 2018 programme.

Yes it will be interesting as to what they are proposing but I've a Peckett on preorder that is currently slated for Q2 2018 and to be honest it'd take a ruddy great surprise to encourage me to consider any more locos or rolling stock at present!

Anyhow, carry on frothing, chaps!

So your not knowing or being able not to know of the existance of the divine or of the supernatural, or even a God in the Christian sense is what you feel? Ummmmmm, interesting situation to be in as regards Hornby. Divine they may be, supernatural some of their production ideas may also have been, but God of Model Railways? Sorry, that's Andy York. 

All hail the Yorky (I nearly said Porky Yorky, but I value my life.)

A. Men

It could be sold for min £100 as businesses don't pay normal rates because they buy in bulk so the cost for each part/motor works out cheaper.

• RMweb Gold

£25 for a motor bogie ?

Would that be a smokey joe chassis your expecting under that DMU then ?

£130 might be the trade price of a 3 railroad quality car, before vat, I venture, but not the retail.

Bachmann has a new class 105 on offer.. 31-326B, with an RRP of £185 for a two car, last time I looked it wasn’t TTS or interior lights, just a Roco coupling, Rails will sell it you for £157, which is why I’ve been filling my boots on DMUs on ebay, as at £50-75 there a bargain, which once gone..won’t becoming back at that price.

Edited by adb968008