Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

I think it would be helpful if we could all cast our minds back two years and think what was on the wish lists then, and what the background noise was in the model railway world, as that is when any decisions about committing funding to develop models for release this year would have been made.

Mmm. In the wishlists and hoo-ha from two years back, didn't the Fell diesel sweep all before it.....

(runs for cover)

• Like 1

An entirely reasonable conclusion although I'm one of those kind who won't open a birthday card before the due date out of a desire not to take anything for granted! ;-)

Whether the Grange qualifies as a new build may be debatable though - is she not a genuine bitsa from various pre-existing machines in the same manner as the 'new'  Baby Deltic?

D4

With new frames I think it almost certainly qualifies as a new locomotive.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a little thought, many on this thread have commented on the J36 and the fact they carried names associated with the great war. Other railways took the time to honor those who fought and died in that horrific conflict.

There are already models of the Patriot class, the first few were nominally rebuilds of the Claughton class, many carried names associated with the war. So there is another possibility.

I am unaware of there being a RTR model of the LBSCR "Remembrance" locomotive it either its tank engine form or the later SR rebuild with a tender.  I am sure our SR friends would welcome a N15X to run alongside their S15, King Arthurs and Bullied Pacifics.

On the other hand Hornby remembering the WW1 armistice might just slip by, like all of David Cameron's promises of commemorating the various battles of the war. 

Whilst I am sure that SR fans would welcome more SR models it is possible that Hornby may, at long last, be attempting to re-dress the balance of its locomotive products by (perhaps) producing a J36 as there is little RTR for the North Eastern Region and nothing for the Scottish Region in their range. Bachmann are not much better apart from the D11/2.

January 8th. will soon provide the answer!

Edited by 60027Merlin
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One would like to think that Hornby will announce rolling stock, both goods and passenger, from the pre-grouping era that can be released in various guises right through to BR (as Bachmann have done with the Birdcages for example).    Something for all those pre-grouping loco's already here / coming on to the market very soon.

What are the gaps I wonder, not being very knowledgeable about whats already out there that isn't SR / pre-group SR /BR(S)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mmm. In the wishlists and hoo-ha from two years back, didn't the Fell diesel sweep all before it.....

(runs for cover)

Already on the cards I believe...

Self assembly from Judith Edge

(way beyond my capabilities but a beautiful looking diseasel all the same).

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 4

Whether the Grange qualifies as a new build may be debatable though - is she not a genuine bitsa from various pre-existing machines in the same manner as the 'new'  Baby Deltic?

When the GWR built the Manors, an equal number of 43XX 2-6-0's were withdrawn for their wheels and other parts. I believe the Manors built by BR were completely new.

• RMweb Gold

Whilst talking of anniversaries, let us not forget the fifty years of English Electric 2700hp type 4s latterly known as class 50.

i believe there is a big shindig planned for October 2018 with as many as possible attending the Severn Valley.

It would be really intersting to see whether Hornby or a collaborator might produce the intercity version of 50031 as a limited edition.

Two limited editions already announced.. 50007 and 50011 by Kernow.

• RMweb Gold

With new frames I think it almost certainly qualifies as a new locomotive.

Jason

So that means the new Didcot county isn’t new ? (It certainly ate two other locos to make itself.. 7927’s frames and the only surviving Doncaster built 8f 48518 was scrapped just to give the county a firebox). Edited by adb968008

So that means the new Didcot county isn’t new ? (It certainly ate two other locos to make itself.. 7927’s frames and the only surviving Doncaster built 8f 48518 was scrapped just to give the county a firebox).

It probably all depends on the definition of what is a locomotives identity.

The old companies used to often use the idea of frames as the identity of the locomotive as usually the other fittings were swapped anyway.

But you could probably call the County a rebuild, just as the Saint is a backdated Hall with larger wheels. Two classes that must surely be due a new model. Getting back on thread. ;)

Jason

• Like 2

Lets be honest, manufacturers wet our appetite then disappoint. 2HAP - how hard can it be - everything is done apart from the label! 4BEP - 1 set of BR MK1 tool slides. When they arrive is anyones guess!

Hi,

I heard the body profile of the Kernow/Bachmann 2H (real thing laser scanned) doesn't match the profile of the Bachmann 2-EPB (real thing measured the old fashioned way).

Regards

Nick

I cannot see Hornby announcing any model  which is not going to be other than easy  on the finances for  tooling  or manufacturing. therefore for steam outline,  parallel boiler,  inside cylinders   and either a tank loco or a model which can use a tender already in production.

If they decide to acknowledge 50 years since the end of steam,  how about a release of a 9f 92167 which ran as a 2-8-2  before withdrawal

• Like 1

I cannot see Hornby announcing any model  which is not going to be other than easy  on the finances for  tooling  or manufacturing. therefore for steam outline,  parallel boiler,  inside cylinders   and either a tank loco or a model which can use a tender already in production.

Hope for another GER loco, E4, J17, J19 or J20, using the D16/B12 and J15 tenders.

Paul

• Like 1

Whilst I am sure that SR fans would welcome more SR models it is possible that Hornby may, at long last, be attempting to re-dress the balance of its locomotive products by (perhaps) producing a J36 as there is little RTR for the North Eastern Region and nothing for the Scottish Region in their range. Bachmann are not much better apart from the D11/2.

January 8th. will soon provide the answer!

They could, of course, please both Sr and ScR modellers by introducing the SE&CR Class G 4-4-0. Followed up by keeping the GER fans happy with an F4 and B12.

Welcome to Fraserburgh!

John

• Like 1

The old companies used to often use the idea of frames as the identity of the locomotive as usually the other fittings were swapped anyway.

OT, but there were more than a few locomotives provided with entirely new frames and in some cases it was nothing more than an accounting trick to make the work appear on the books as a 'rebuild' rather than an entirely new locomotive, for which latter approval of the capital spend was required.

Given people believe, despite evidence to the contrary, that Hornby and Oxford have merged, a quick and easy win would be a second run of Intercity liveried DVTs.

For those of you who hold their noses at the thought of something that isn't a tea urn on wheels, Hornby are releasing a modern electrickery aberration called a Class 87 this year in Intercity livery, Oxford have announced a range of locomotive hauled Mk3 coaches (big steel built carriages from the 1970s when you were all no doubt still getting psychiatric care over the loss of your blessed kettles) again in Intercity livery, and Bachmann have shown engineering prototypes of another hateful electrickery contraption called a Class 90, and a range of Mk2f coaches (more 1970s steel built things from when you were rocking yourselves hugging your comfort blankets over the loss of steam) so there is likely to be an increased interest in the Intercity era, which of course will be met with a deafening roar of apathy in these parts. Given the extraordinarily stupid prices the few Intercity DVTs go for on thiefBay that turn up, I suspect there is a lot of latent demand out there for them. I know mine is secreted in a secure secret place mint and boxed. Should Ornby-Hoxford do a rerun of the IC DVT I'd probably acquire a couple more and I'm sure that they would sell.

Having said all that I would like to see some more LMS stock, an Open First, Composite and Open Third would be most welcome, the opens to create a dining triplet and the CK because they were everywhere.

If Kernow have a Network Rail DVT coming up these limited editions are normally tagged onto the end of a catalogue production run too so some more DVTs might be looking likely. Heres hoping there are some Intercity ones in there!!

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I heard the body profile of the Kernow/Bachmann 2H (real thing laser scanned) doesn't match the profile of the Bachmann 2-EPB (real thing measured the old fashioned way).

Regards

Nick

Haven’t a few HAPs been cobbled together from EPBs and 205s by some modellers? I don’t recall an issue being raised or visible.

Roy

"Off you potter you DMU modellers don't mess with our locomotive frothing."

Multiple units have been a major form of travel during most of our lifetimes and are still under represented compared to locomotives they ran alongside...

How to put this? The MU assortment largely came in as replacement for an assortment of modest size locomotives, and some coaches, often non-gangwayed, often of archaic design.

The GWR is best catered for in locomotives about this work, and moan loudly and incessantly about the inadequacy of the autocoach and B Set vehicles to go with.

LMS, some common locomotives on this work and recently released a few of the Stanier non-gangwayed ended a complete RTR drought.

LNER, some common locomotives on this work and recently a few of the Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed ended a complete RTR drought.

SR, some common locomotives on this work and does the birdcage stock count? (My ignorance of SR doings may be assessed as very complete.)

BR, some common locomotives on this work, and an assortment of 57' and 64'  non-gangwayed have been available a while.

As such an array of BR period usable Railcars, and  MU'ery such as Derby lightweight, 101,105,108 etc looks pretty equivalent in comparison as a spread of coverage.

The gaps in both cases have to be filled by DIY, as the chances of every type built in modest volumes getting a RTR model is vanishingly small. That's all, realistically, and if you want an idea of how big the gap is read on.

...What are the gaps I wonder, not being very knowledgeable about whats already out there that isn't SR / pre-group SR /BR(S)?

There is nothing in the way of RTR CR, GCR, GER, GNR, L&Y, LNWR, MR, NBR, NER coach stock, much of which - especially of the non-gangwayed persuasion - hung on in traffic well into the BR period, along with the earlier designs of the Big Four which also barely get a look in. A good example is the GNR design origin and LNER 'Quad-Art' suburban sets which operated everyday alongside the Gresley pacifics, for most of their career hauled by the doughty N2, and latterly by BR's first diesel types, until final withdrawal in 1966!

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D