Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

How to put this? The MU assortment largely came in as replacement for an assortment of modest size locomotives, and some coaches, often non-gangwayed, often of archaic design.

The GWR is best catered for in locomotives about this work, and moan loudly and incessantly about the inadequacy of the autocoach and B Set vehicles to go with.

LMS, some common locomotives on this work and recently released a few of the Stanier non-gangwayed ended a complete RTR drought.

LNER, some common locomotives on this work and recently a few of the Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed ended a complete RTR drought.

SR, some common locomotives on this work and does the birdcage stock count? (My ignorance of SR doings may be assessed as very complete.)

BR, some common locomotives on this work, and an assortment of 57' and 64'  non-gangwayed have been available a while.

As such an array of BR period usable Railcars, and  MU'ery such as Derby lightweight, 101,105,108 etc looks pretty equivalent in comparison as a spread of coverage.

The gaps in both cases have to be filled by DIY, as the chances of every type built in modest volumes getting a RTR model is vanishingly small. That's all, realistically, and if you want an idea of how big the gap is read on.

There is nothing in the way of RTR CR, GCR, GER, GNR, L&Y, LNWR, MR, NBR, NER coach stock, much of which - especially of the non-gangwayed persuasion - hung on in traffic well into the BR period, along with the earlier designs of the Big Four which also barely get a look in. A good example is the GNR design origin and LNER 'Quad-Art' suburban sets which operated everyday alongside the Gresley pacifics, for most of their career hauled by the doughty N2, and latterly by BR's first diesel types, until final withdrawal in 1966!

Wow Hatfield, that towd'em!! I cannot help but agree, I'm sure I will be impressed with whatever is announced on 08/01/18, ( raher than the previous day which I will pass on to my great grandchildren), but I really would like 62785 in BR black, and ex. GE 54' coaches please?

Cheers, with tongue in cheek, from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 1

Id quite like to see something industrial: I dont care what it is, as long as its alfred and judy or something 0-6-0 outside cylindered, and its probably going to be Hornby who makes them considering how fast the peckett sold out, and hattons might do Alfred and judy later in the year.

• RMweb Premium

How to put this? The MU assortment largely came in as replacement for an assortment of modest size locomotives, and some coaches, often non-gangwayed, often of archaic design.

The GWR is best catered for in locomotives about this work, and moan loudly and incessantly about the inadequacy of the autocoach and B Set vehicles to go with.

LMS, some common locomotives on this work and recently released a few of the Stanier non-gangwayed ended a complete RTR drought.

LNER, some common locomotives on this work and recently a few of the Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed ended a complete RTR drought.

SR, some common locomotives on this work and does the birdcage stock count? (My ignorance of SR doings may be assessed as very complete.)

BR, some common locomotives on this work, and an assortment of 57' and 64'  non-gangwayed have been available a while.

As such an array of BR period usable Railcars, and  MU'ery such as Derby lightweight, 101,105,108 etc looks pretty equivalent in comparison as a spread of coverage.

The gaps in both cases have to be filled by DIY, as the chances of every type built in modest volumes getting a RTR model is vanishingly small. That's all, realistically, and if you want an idea of how big the gap is read on.

There is nothing in the way of RTR CR, GCR, GER, GNR, L&Y, LNWR, MR, NBR, NER coach stock, much of which - especially of the non-gangwayed persuasion - hung on in traffic well into the BR period, along with the earlier designs of the Big Four which also barely get a look in. A good example is the GNR design origin and LNER 'Quad-Art' suburban sets which operated everyday alongside the Gresley pacifics, for most of their career hauled by the doughty N2, and latterly by BR's first diesel types, until final withdrawal in 1966!

All very interesting historically but still off you go and build your own if you want more than the three types of first generation DMUs offered at the moment by all the RTR manufacturers. The 36 WR single car trains don't really represent the vast numbers of 57 ft low density units built for the other regions. 

Never mind us "modern image" modellers are still the future for Hornby, Bachmann etc when the baby boomers wave bye bye for ever.

A fairly obvious one for the 50th anniversart of the end of steam would be producing the 15 Guinea Special locos, perhaps in a four-pack. Or a heavily weathered 8F or something along those lines.

Don't know if they've still got the tooling, but they could be cheeky and reintroduce the Lima 94xx in the Railroad range to steal a march on Bachmann.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1st generation DMUs are hardly modern image.

There are plenty of trains of the post privatised railway that can't really be considered modern image any more, never mind 1st generation DMUs. I think it is quite telling to think about the cars we drove in the mid 90's, the computers we used, the state of information technology etc and whether we'd consider any of it to be modern. I appreciate things like trains, airliners and ships are different and designed for much longer lives than many other things but the comparisons are still quite telling.

• RMweb Gold

There are plenty of trains of the post privatised railway that can't really be considered modern image any more, never mind 1st generation DMUs. I think it is quite telling to think about the cars we drove in the mid 90's, the computers we used, the state of information technology etc and whether we'd consider any of it to be modern. I appreciate things like trains, airliners and ships are different and designed for much longer lives than many other things but the comparisons are still quite telling.

So are we in Post Modern, Deco Modern, Modern Nouveau, or pre-apoplectic modern times ?

All very interesting historically but still off you go and build your own if you want more than the three types of first generation DMUs offered at the moment by all the RTR manufacturers. The 36 WR single car trains don't really represent the vast numbers of 57 ft low density units built for the other regions. 

Never mind us "modern image" modellers are still the future for Hornby, Bachmann etc when the baby boomers wave bye bye for ever.

:offtopic: 

Sorry but that really is rubbish. You need to remember two things. One - that the DMUs offered by the companies are there to compliment the existing range of engines that are made and thus sell alongside others. Two - who are the people that are actually buying them.

DMUs, like slam door EMUs, have been released to go alongside all the other expresses and freight trains that have been done. Its part of having the range that's needed. Your request for the ones your after is showing that you need them to complete your range. Its not just that certain ones have been done, its just that some have been done first as they think those would sell more and exist in areas that better compliment the range and possible sales. Yours are more Western region and rather more niche than something more widespread like a class 101.

The DMUs also have to find a place in production and that takes time. They are the additional extra into the range, so make way for yet more engines such as locomotives and others that need to be done to expand the general range in some areas, or enhance it further.

I'm convinced that some modellers buy the range that is available and start modelling areas based upon the whole range that you can get. The midland region with a very good selection of steam, transition diesel, DMUs, is still being enhanced by Bachmann who are making older steam designs - which goes against the popularity of the area if the wishlists are to be believed as the popularity of the midland here has been decimated. That in turn leads you to who is buying what. There are many much younger people modelling steam and transition periods because the range and selection is there to be bought, collected and modelled.

You might want your DMUs but they are sitting alongside other pre-grouping steam designs, other modern DMUs, and selective early diesel designs that could all be equally popular and vie for that production slot.

Your situation is harder as your trying to lobby, or at least state, that your after the unit, which is the additional extra to the range. One reason why I lobbied for the Q6 was that the other region and standard steam, transitional diesel, stock and wagons and DMUs were all already released. Its easier to get a locomotive to add to the range to fill the gap than the unit - however, if you state better reasoning for it, rather than just it hasn't been done (Kernow are doing some limited editions of a similar stuff) then your ideas get a following and traction, thus attention of the companies and that, is how its done.

• RMweb Premium

Serious head on......There are many on this forum who lump all diesel modellers as being "modern image". I have tried to argue the term is outdated and should be dumped. So when  you see me say modern image it is tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

What are the gaps I wonder, not being very knowledgeable about whats already out there that isn't SR / pre-group SR /BR(S)?

:warning:

Careful! That's still a red rag to some of us. The amount of Southern region specific stuff really is quite frustrating to some of us. Especially when the 3rd rail engines are all clearly designed to enhance the range of this one region, and while you might find the odd example of something used elsewhere, its nothing like the geographical coverage of something like a DMU or diesel.

The fact that shop commissions and the like have now taken more slots and production just make this more infuriating. Some areas, like Scotland and the North east have little. While Hornby look to have finally moved north of Doncaster with the Q6, Bachmann follow with the retooled J72.

As for others in this range you could have; there's J21/J25, B16/1 B16/2 B16/3, J27, G5, A5, D17, D49 (retool), Q7, BR Standard 3MT, BR Standard 2MT... Some of these share a lot of parts thanks to NER standardisation. Combine them in votes on a wishlist and you get an engine actually polling higher than the poll suggests at first. J21/J25 is a classic example of this with the same engine apart from the main wheels, being smaller - scale that down to 00 gauge and you need to use the same wheel!

Theres others that are in a similar position, like Scotland, but I still maintain the NER is the area with strongest potential to develop.

But that's ok... that blurred cover looks like yet another Southern engine.

:banghead:

Edited by The Black Hat

• RMweb Gold

Serious head on......There are many on this forum who lump all diesel modellers as being "modern image". I have tried to argue the term is outdated and should be dumped. So when  you see me say modern image it is tongue in cheek.

"Modern Image", for me, should mean models of current prototypes in current liveries so maybe going back over a couple of years depending on area.

It's not just that one, though; all the jargon about eras confuses more than it enlightens IMHO. Many of us model periods that straddle two of Bachmann's. Some "Era 4" items are too old for me and some from "Era 5" are too new.

What's wrong with just saying "I model the xxxx Railway in 1890s, 1950s, 2010s or whatever?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Sorry but that really is rubbish. You need to remember two things. One - that the DMUs offered by the companies are there to compliment the existing range of engines that are made and thus sell alongside others. Two - who are the people that are actually buying them.

DMUs, like slam door EMUs, have been released to go alongside all the other expresses and freight trains that have been done. Its part of having the range that's needed. Your request for the ones your after is showing that you need them to complete your range. Its not just that certain ones have been done, its just that some have been done first as they think those would sell more and exist in areas that better compliment the range and possible sales. Yours are more Western region and rather more niche than something more widespread like a class 101.

The DMUs also have to find a place in production and that takes time. They are the additional extra into the range, so make way for yet more engines such as locomotives and others that need to be done to expand the general range in some areas, or enhance it further.

I'm convinced that some modellers buy the range that is available and start modelling areas based upon the whole range that you can get. The midland region with a very good selection of steam, transition diesel, DMUs, is still being enhanced by Bachmann who are making older steam designs - which goes against the popularity of the area if the wishlists are to be believed as the popularity of the midland here has been decimated. That in turn leads you to who is buying what. There are many much younger people modelling steam and transition periods because the range and selection is there to be bought, collected and modelled.

You might want your DMUs but they are sitting alongside other pre-grouping steam designs, other modern DMUs, and selective early diesel designs that could all be equally popular and vie for that production slot.

Your situation is harder as your trying to lobby, or at least state, that your after the unit, which is the additional extra to the range. One reason why I lobbied for the Q6 was that the other region and standard steam, transitional diesel, stock and wagons and DMUs were all already released. Its easier to get a locomotive to add to the range to fill the gap than the unit - however, if you state better reasoning for it, rather than just it hasn't been done (Kernow are doing some limited editions of a similar stuff) then your ideas get a following and traction, thus attention of the companies and that, is how its done.

What a load of waffle to say up yours steam locos are more important than diesels multiple units. I am the customer and I don't think my DMUs are there to compliment my locos but the other way round.

I do model DMUs and they are an important part of my layout plans, more important than any steam express loco.

You mention selective early diesel designs. Before other modellers got on the band wagon of the earlier diesel types and brought RTR ones, I had modelled most of them, scratchbuilt classes 15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 28, 30, 37, 40, 47, 53, Lion, Kestrel, 10001, 10203 and 10800. Converted the following again before any RTR model, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25/3, 26, 27, 29, 30 (Toffee Apple), 37 (split head code), 40, 41, 44, 45 (split headcode), 46, 48, and DP2.  Plus loads of shunter classes. Space has been found for all of these, except dear old 10800 and to think when I built my first baby deltic I was told the RTR guys would never make one, or the other classes I wanted. As I say the only one the RTR guys have not made that I have is dear old 10800 so one day there will be the room for more DMU types.

At present I am building a series of slam door ER overhead EMUs not to compliment any loco classes. I have  locomotives that will compliment them.

But of course non of these are as important as an area specific freight engine that you lobbied for. The class 104 which I suggested on this fun thread only operated on the LMR 2 and 3 car units, the NER 2, 3 and 4 car units, the ER 2 and 3 car units (the 3 car units being ex NER 4 car less the TS) and in the end on the WR looking very smart in NSE livery. Not an important addition to the overall railway scene from the late fifties until the early nineties.

I was thinking to go with my DMUs another type of 4-6-0 to run alongside my largest steam locos Class 5s and B1s could be a B16/3 using D49 bits, doable. :good:

I suppose like every modeller I wear blinkers and think my era and modelling is the most important.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I gave up on modern image as someone always took over the franchise and changed the colour scheme to make it “even more modern image” . As a result I now have Turbostars in ScotRail Swoosh and First ScotRail. I gave up on Spotrail

I do model DMUs and they are an important part of my layout plans, more important than any steam express loco.

You might think that. More would think otherwise and that's why the companies choose to make engines first and DMUs as a secondary concern to bolster the range.

The class 104 which I suggested on this fun thread only operated on the LMR 2 and 3 car units, the NER 2, 3 and 4 car units, the ER 2 and 3 car units (the 3 car units being ex NER 4 car less the TS) and in the end on the WR looking very smart in NSE livery. Not an important addition to the overall railway scene from the late fifties until the early nineties.

If that's the case, then that's the one that's most likely to be made first. If that's the one you want that's what you lobby for first - but I would think Bachmann to be the likely manufacturer of it.

But of course non of these are as important as an area specific freight engine that you lobbied for.

Got it in one! That's why I pointed out that it was an engine that was popular, it was polling well, it would fit into the range and its an engine over something like a unit, to make an entry into releases for the North East Region. Others agreed and as such the company noticed so it was produced. :good: 

I suppose like every modeller I wear blinkers and think my era and modelling is the most important.

We are all guilty of that! :friends: 

• RMweb Premium

You might think that. More would think otherwise and that's why the companies choose to make engines first and DMUs as a secondary concern to bolster the range.

If that's the case, then that's the one that's most likely to be made first. If that's the one you want that's what you lobby for first - but I would think Bachmann to be the likely manufacturer of it.

Got it in one! That's why I pointed out that it was an engine that was popular, it was polling well, it would fit into the range and its an engine over something like a unit, to make an entry into releases for the North East Region. Others agreed and as such the company noticed so it was produced. :good:

We are all guilty of that! :friends:

post-16423-0-96540300-1513617026_thumb.png

One I built many many moons ago, my mate Jim now owns it. It would be very nice if other modellers could own one.

Unfortunately there has always been anti DMU feeling within railway enthusiast. 

• Like 3

But that's ok... that blurred cover looks like yet another Southern engine.

It certainly looks like yet another Southern engine, but am I alone in thinking it looks more Nelsonian than Arthurian?  Its the shape of the smoke deflector that has me wondering.

Edit - could just be another Schools of course, in which case we might be in for a slow year!

Edited by 64F

• RMweb Gold

It certainly looks like yet another Southern engine, but am I alone in thinking it looks more Nelsonian than Arthurian? Its the shape of the smoke deflector that has me wondering.

Edit - could just be another Schools of course, in which case we might be in for a slow year!

Been discussed at length and consensus is that it a Lord Nelson.

Makes me happy as I enjoyed firing the real thing until it went off-ticket. Well, I did once I had learned to get the coal in the front left corner ;-)

Roy

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately there has always been anti DMU feeling within railway enthusiast. 

But  if that is the case (and I stress if, since this is way outside my interest - so in that respect I am part of the anti-DMU movement) surely that is why manufacturers are not rushing to produce new classes.  

On the contrary.

1st generation DMU's were very much a feature of the "modern image" period...i.e. the 1960's.

There are plenty of trains of the post privatised railway that can't really be considered modern image any more......

Post privatised railway?

That came some 25 to 30 years later, didn't it?

....There are many on this forum who lump all diesel modellers as being "modern image"......

There's nowt so queer as folk.

....I have tried to argue the term is outdated and should be dumped.....

Well said Clive.

"Modern Image", for me, should mean models of current prototypes in current liveries so maybe going back over a couple of years depending on area....

Cease and desist immediately!

Continuing to spout such nonsense will result in public shaming and ridicule.

You have been warned.

;)

What's wrong with just saying "I model the xxxx Railway in 1890s, 1950s, 2010s or whatever?

Absolutely John.

If we are modelling particular periods in history, then surely a suitable reference should include the timescale involved?

Not some arbitrary label, based on a particular personscontemporary observations of a time long long ago.

* The esteemed Mr Refrigerator, or whatever his name was.)

The steam-era finished while Modern Image continues to be a movable feast.  ..

Ooh Larry, you wag.

That's soooo laaast century.

In fact.... it was last century.

So are we in Post Modern, Deco Modern, Modern Nouveau, or pre-apoplectic modern times ?

Post Brunel of course.

Its obvious, innit!

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 4

Not a Nelson. Exhaust is too 'narrow' on emission! Looks more like a Urie S15.

I. V. E. A. Maunsell

The picture used for the cover has been identified by an eagle-eyed poster as one showing a Lord Nelson - the picture was identified by bull rushes which the cover artist had forgotten to pixilate.  The question is whether the pixilated cover is the real one for the 2018 catalogue, and whether that ties Hornby into announcing a Lord Nelson in 2018.

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Premium

In the other thread someone found the original painting that appears partially obscured on the 2018 catalogue front cover and it's a Lord Nelson.

Could be a sneaky curveball of course...