Hornby 2018 Announcements

cal.n

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a little thought, many on this thread have commented on the J36 and the fact they carried names associated with the great war. Other railways took the time to honor those who fought and died in that horrific conflict.

There are already models of the Patriot class, the first few were nominally rebuilds of the Claughton class, many carried names associated with the war. So there is another possibility.

I am unaware of there being a RTR model of the LBSCR "Remembrance" locomotive it either its tank engine form or the later SR rebuild with a tender.  I am sure our SR friends would welcome a N15X to run alongside their S15, King Arthurs and Bullied Pacifics.

On the other hand Hornby remembering the WW1 armistice might just slip by, like all of David Cameron's promises of commemorating the various battles of the war. 

• RMweb Gold

On the other hand Hornby remembering the WW1 armistice might just slip by, like all of David Cameron's promises of commemorating the various battles of the war.

2018 anniversaries...

180 years of LMS steam (opening of London-Birmingham rly), LMR no 57 Lion is built

135 years since Electric trains started in the UK (Brighton)

125 years since GNR no1 was built, but also LSWR T3 and 120 years for Henry Oakley.

120 years since the Great Central Railway formally existed, and opened its London route.

110 years since the most powerful 4-6-0 was built, L&Y Dreadnought class

100 years - WW1 1918

95 years since the creation of the Big 4- LMS,SR,LNER,GWR

90 years since Fowler 2p was introduced

80 years since 1938 - Arguably the zenith year for the Big four, also 46229 and 4468 reach 80.

75 years since s160s started operating in the UK.

70 years since 1948 nationalisation

60 years since 1958 Whistlers started whistling

50 years since 1968 end of steam

45 years since 1973 world speed diesel record set by HST.

40 years since 1978 when 56036 was painted large logo blue.. the first loco to do such.

30 years since 1988 D200 retired as the last 2000hp Diesel

20 years since 1998 and the start of the Red Death.. the Shed 66001 arrived.

10 years since 2008 since the last Mainline steam locomotive was completed in the UK, 60163 Tornado, 70013, 46115, 5043 all returned to the Mainline, class 87’s were exported to Bulgaria

So no shortage of anniversaries

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

2018 anniversaries...

180 years of LMS steam (opening of London-Birmingham rly), LMR no 57 Lion is built

125 years since GNR no1 was built, but also LSWR T3 and 120 years for Henry Oakley.

120 years since the Great Central Railway formally existed, and opened its London route.

100 years - WW1 1918

80 years since 1938 - Arguably the zenith year for the Big four, also 46229 and 4468 reach 80.

40 years since 1978 when 56036 was painted large logo blue.. the first loco to do such.

10 years since 2008 since the last Mainline steam locomotive was completed in the UK, 60163 Tornado, 70013, 46115, 5043 all returned to the Mainline, class 87’s were exported to Bulgaria

you missed a few but you got most of the main ones

• RMweb Premium

2018 anniversaries...

100 years - WW1 1918

...................................and a Partridge in a Pear Tree came to mind as soon as I read this. What an excellent list! It would be interesting if this list had been compiled in a Design Board Room somewhere and some decisions actually made.

P

2018 anniversaries...

100 years - WW1 1918

All of them dwarfed in significance, of course, by 2019 being the 60th anniversary of the closure of (most of) the M&GN - the first "mainline" closure in Britain.

I am expecting neither main company to announce anything much new for 2018, as they marshal all their forces for the major M&GN engagement the following year.

Although I suppose the anniversary of the end of steam might prod them to release one or two bits and bobs.

Paul

• Like 3

To railfans of my age, 2018 is the anniversary of the end of the almost total steam railway with the widespread introduction of DMU's in 1958. I was 16 at the time and my commuting to work in Manchester started on an all-steam raiway. Then one morning a brandnew DMU rolled in on timetabling and driver training duties. Within weeks the railway scene had changed beyond belief. 

For other areas of Britain, change was not to come for several more years, but it had started big style in the cities.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

To railfans of my age, 2018 is the anniversary of the end of the almost total steam railway with the widespread introduction of DMU's in 1958. I was 16 at the time and my commuting to work in Manchester started on an all-steam raiway. Then one morning a brandnew DMU rolled in on timetabling and driver training duties. Within weeks the railway scene had changed beyond belief. 

For other areas of Britain, change was not to come for several more years, but it had started big style in the cities.

And for me...also 16 in 1958 and approaching his O Levels,in February it was the end of the Aberdare-Abercynon auto train and the introduction of the dmu...with speed whiskers.Rail trips to Cardiff were never quite the same again.

60 years since the DMU revolution/plague, take you pick. We need more DMU`s. We have the old 110 (needs re-releasing with new wheels and motor like the 101), 101 from both Bachmann and Hornby, the 108 and 105 from Bachmann, the bubble cars from Dapol, and the 117 in the future from Bachmann. There are many more to do, all the different small designs from the private builders which had the same underframe bits, so could be released with just different bodies on the same underframe. And what about the trans pennine or the inter city DMU, and the cross country ones (119 & 120). 

All these can be used on a small layout, and the above ones can also be used in multiple with each other, so can turn up in different combinations. 

60 years since the DMU revolution ... We need more DMU`s. ..., all the different small designs from the private builders which had the same underframe bits, so could be released with just different bodies on the same underframe...

I'd see the 'different small designs with commonality of running gear' as unlikely for conventional injection moulded production because of the tooling cost vs the likely sales. Perhaps possible on the basis of supply of running gear from an operation like Replica, with bodies from 3D printed kits and the like?

2018 anniversaries...

125 years since GNR no1 was built,

I make it 148, as the original loco emerged in 1870. Quite what other anniversaries could be celebrated as it was 'evolved' into present form I leave the experts to decide. The significant date is 1870, as this was the emergence of the 'correct template' for UK maximum power steam express passenger traction, which is why it is so important.

2020: 150 years since the the vision of the way ahead...

• RMweb Gold

Surely what became the LMS started in 1830 with the opening of the Liverpool And Manchester Railway?

Jason

In 80 years nothing changed, if it didn’t start in London, it didn’t start

I took this video from the LMS publicity department in 1938 as my base, admittedly I had to research what exactly was 100 years as it wasn’t the LMS, and as you say it wasn’t the LIverpool Manchester either, though Lion featured in it.

https://youtu.be/xsrc0BPeNnM

Propaganda is propaganda.

What Hornby did miss however was 2017 was 80 years since the Coronation Scot service started.. which seems to be the only version of Duchess they didn’t make.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

60 years since the DMU revolution/plague, take you pick. We need more DMU`s. We have the old 110 (needs re-releasing with new wheels and motor like the 101), 101 from both Bachmann and Hornby, the 108 and 105 from Bachmann, the bubble cars from Dapol, and the 117 in the future from Bachmann. There are many more to do, all the different small designs from the private builders which had the same underframe bits, so could be released with just different bodies on the same underframe. And what about the trans pennine or the inter city DMU, and the cross country ones (119 & 120). 

All these can be used on a small layout, and the above ones can also be used in multiple with each other, so can turn up in different combinations. 

I'd see the 'different small designs with commonality of running gear' as unlikely for conventional injection moulded production because of the tooling cost vs the likely sales. Perhaps possible on the basis of supply of running gear from an operation like Replica, with bodies from 3D printed kits and the like?

"Off you potter you DMU modellers don't mess with our locomotive frothing."

Multiple units have been a major form of travel during most of our lifetimes and are still under represented compared to locomotives they ran alongside. And for most modern image layouts no matter how small or massive they fill a vital role. It would be great if as suggested by Cheesy there was a model of one of the large number of classes of DMU that have not been made in RTR as yet.......a few Mk1 AC EMUs wouldn't go a miss either.

• Like 2

Surely what became the LMS started in 1830 with the opening of the Liverpool And Manchester Railway?

Jason

There were earlier railways that became constituent parts of the LMS. There may be others too but this is the one I can remember right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_and_Leigh_Railway

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Whilst talking of anniversaries, let us not forget the fifty years of English Electric 2700hp type 4s latterly known as class 50.

i believe there is a big shindig planned for October 2018 with as many as possible attending the Severn Valley.

It would be really intersting to see whether Hornby or a collaborator might produce the intercity version of 50031 as a limited edition.

• RMweb Gold

Continuing the calendar game

1928  SR U and U1 classes introduced 

1938. SR Q class introduced

1938  GWR  'manor' class introduced

1958  First double chimney 9F, stoker fitted 9Fs, final Crewe built 9F delivered (92250)

So scope for some reissues/retoolings.  But I doubt anything but major anniversaries are likely to be on anyone's radar nowadays with the problems of getting stuff out of a Chinese factory slot at the right time for any sort of anniversary.

More worryingly about the 2018 Hornby announcements is will they or won't they be a turning point before a change to 'simpler production methods' (the 2018 buzzwords for design clever) anda. continuing rundown of the part played by The Engine Shed in keeping Hornby's name to the fore while those around keep on dropping in odd announcements and surprises and grab all the attention?

• Like 4

Continuing the calendar game

1928  SR U and U1 classes introduced 

1938. SR Q class introduced

1938  GWR  'manor' class introduced

1958  First double chimney 9F, stoker fitted 9Fs, final Crewe built 9F delivered (92250)

So scope for some reissues/retoolings.  But I doubt anything but major anniversaries are likely to be on anyone's radar nowadays with the problems of getting stuff out of a Chinese factory slot at the right time for any sort of anniversary.

More worryingly about the 2018 Hornby announcements is will they or won't they be a turning point before a change to 'simpler production methods' (the 2018 buzzwords for design clever) anda. continuing rundown of the part played by The Engine Shed in keeping Hornby's name to the fore while those around keep on dropping in odd announcements and surprises and grab all the attention?

I wonder if a trend by Hornby to simpler production methods and modelling staples (eg A3,A4, Hall, Black 5, Mark 1s etc) leaves the field more open to the retailer commissioned higher fidelity models? The two might be closish on price with the retailer using their lower cost base to subsidise the higher production cost.

I think it would be helpful if we could all cast our minds back two years and think what was on the wish lists then, and what the background noise was in the model railway world, as that is when any decisions about committing funding to develop models for release this year would have been made.

Effectively, anything being announced this year by Hornby was decided somewhere between 12 and 24 months ago depending on how far into the design process they are, so current market wishes and conditions are probably irrelevant.

• Like 1

Not any longer as three others are in the process of being built two P2s and a Patriot

An entirely reasonable conclusion although I'm one of those kind who won't open a birthday card before the due date out of a desire not to take anything for granted! ;-)

Whether the Grange qualifies as a new build may be debatable though - is she not a genuine bitsa from various pre-existing machines in the same manner as the 'new'  Baby Deltic?

D4