Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2018 - the full announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

A real bonkers decision in this current catalogue is splitting the 800/0 into the DTPF/S and the MC/S coaches into different 'packs'. 100% guaranteed to be stuck with too much of one when the other is sold. Also, 800003 is still not in passenger service with GWR, it is not even delivered to Agility Trains West! Still 100% property of Hitachi Rail Europe for testing. As with 800004, carries DfT et al branding. Surely a 5-car pack of either 800005/006 or 800008/009 from the 16th Oct service introduction would of been a better choice. Least those who made this decision are gone and Tim/Simon can solve all for 2019. 

I suspect that the set number was chosen some time ago when the production slot was booked. They cannot have known then which sets would be in service, so not really Hornby's fault as a change now might cause delay and a lost production slot.

Splitting the sets as you describe is I agree a risk, but presumably Hornby will produce more DTPs than coach packs, to allow for those who can't run a full set. The risk of selling full length sets only is that they end up selling fewer overall because they lose the sales of DTPs only. I expect they had the same dilemma over the new Brighton Belle. In that case they also have to weigh up sales of coach packs to those who want to run them as current scene loco hauled and are not interested in the driving coaches.

It's a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I welcome the Virgin class 87 and Virgin DVT. But why release the MK3s when OxfordRail have already announced highly detailed loco hauled Virgin ones including the RFM. The OxfordRail ones actually have a lower RRP (£34.95) than the poor and inaccurate Hornby ones (£34.99). The R4855 TRFB isn't even a loco hauled coach! Do Hornby not realise there is a difference between loco hauled and HST coaches? Mind you the description says these coaches can be 'matched with the high speed diesel electric class 87'. Is this some new HST/class 87 hybrid dreamt up by Hornby in order to run their loco and HST coaches in the same rake?

If the OxfordRail Virgin livery closely matches the Hornby one, then I can't see why anybody would opt to buy the more expensive yet crude Hornby coaches. I expect these will end up in the bargain bucket.

Also, why have Hornby STILL not released a Virgin First class MK2e coach to match the previous Virgin MK2e releases that came in only Standard class and Brake types. I'm sure many people are put off buying any of these coaches due to being unable to complete the rake due to the lake of a first class one. This leaves the door open for Bachmann to do the job properly.

• RMweb Premium

Isn't the D11/2 Scottish as well?

Everyone seems to forget about them.

Jason

The D11/2 was from Bachmann and the Hornby Caley 123, Pug and NBR J83 bore only a passing resemblance to the real thing.

The J36 is the first Scottish pre-grouping class produced by either Bachmann or Hornby to modern day standards. For us Scottish modellers we have had the option of the kit,s and not many are still available, or nothing.

It has been a very long wait!

I don’t think we can infer whether the King was a success financially or not. Certainly, it’s possible to pick some up at a massive discount. To state the obvious, we do not know how many were produced or sold or at what price. Presence in bargain bucket does not mean it was not a success for them.

On retoolings, Hornby has retooled the king, the duchess and the B12 in recent years. They will know better than anyone how well those have sold and hence how many rebuys there will be. Personally, I’m sceptical that the streamlined duchesses will sell well. I’m even more sceptical whether retooling post 1990 diesels and electrics is profitable. Whilst a diesel fan can “justify” a Duchess/A4 steam hauled special, it’s a lot harder other than pure rule 1 to buy a Class 91 or whatever if you’re a steam fan unless it’s a pure collector’s item.

David

• RMweb Gold

Sound for freight stock TTS Sound R6888tts.

Wonder what sounds will be included and what others are being thought up!

Ive been dropping hints of this for the last few weeks and no one took the bait ;-)

I guessed something like this was coming from a few smiles, hints, winks and words from several people, but interestingly of all the wish lists threads not one picked it up and focussed solely on locos and stock. I thought it was going to be a station building, but a wagon is easier for people to deploy as it doesn't need any wiring and at £40 rrp, its quite a cheap solution too.

Very cool idea, at some point they should do it to a modern wagon (probably a civil engineers wagon) so it can be parked at a station siding too with modern sounds.

from Hornby's website:

To further enhance this atmosphere, Hornby's engineers have considered how other sounds contribute to 'setting the scene'. Stand on any busy station, or observe the workings of a bustling freight depot and it is soon obvious that there are a whole range of sounds, from the grind and squeal of wagon wheels, the application of brakes, and the 'clank' of couplings, to the movement of passengers, station announcements, a 'hubbub'  of conversation and carriage doors closing
Edited by adb968008

I think you may well be correct about the King - though there are new runs of other GWR 4-6-0s, maybe it blunted their enthusiasm for all-new tooling. I'm a bit dubious about the livery choice for the Collett coaches, though; the maroon ones seemed to disappear a lot quicker than the first batch of crimson/cream ones did.

The thing with this year's Southern releases is that only the Lord Nelsons and the restaurant car are all-new, some are variations (H, MN and the crimson/cream SO), and the rest of the locos and coaches are repeats with new identities. Hornby are getting a lot of mileage out of relatively little investment. The repeats of BR green Maunsells, previous runs of which are known to be much sought after, will help to cross-sell the locos.

Given their plans for the Mogul and Large Prairie, you may also be correct in anticipating that Dapol are most likely to be the source of the coaches you want.

John

Unless I missed something, I don't think there is anything for the pre 1945 South Eastern modeller? I don't know too much about the Nelson's coverage, and I understand the restaurant carriages were used more westerly, however, we were quite spoilt last year with the Southern H, H2 & Ps still to come!

The South West has done marginally better than the South East this year, but the Southern releases do seem to be mostly very BR friendly...

• RMweb Gold

I think the TTS goods van is a great idea, especially as the SR 20T van went everywhere in BR days, but wonder why it's just background sounds?  If they did one with generic steam sounds, this could be marshalled into any goods next to the loco, and indeed a short passenger working with a van attached. IE give a 'pocket money' entry level into sound for the expenditure on just one item of rolling stock initially?

The D11/2 was from Bachmann and the Hornby Caley 123, Pug and NBR J83 bore only a passing resemblance to the real thing.

The J36 is the first Scottish pre-grouping class produced by either Bachmann or Hornby to modern day standards. For us Scottish modellers we have had the option of the kit,s and not many are still available, or nothing.

It has been a very long wait!

It's still more Scottish than your average Glaswegian drunk drinking Tennents Extra on the WCML.

;)

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I think the TTS goods van is a great idea, especially as the SR 20T van went everywhere in BR days, but wonder why it's just background sounds?  If they did one with generic steam sounds, this could be marshalled into any goods next to the loco, and indeed a short passenger working with a van attached. IE give a 'pocket money' entry level into sound for the expenditure on just one item of rolling stock initially?

If the van has a pin socket, you could swap out the chip ?, but if doing that you might as well put it in the loco.

Stationary sounds, in a box van in a siding, is quite a low cost, quick solution, I think it'd do well. I might even consider one for my DC layout and add an AC feed for 1 isolated siding.

Edited by adb968008

Unless I missed something, I don't think there is anything for the pre 1945 South Eastern modeller? I don't know too much about the Nelson's coverage, and I understand the restaurant carriages were used more westerly, however, we were quite spoilt last year with the Southern H, H2 & Ps still to come!

The South West has done marginally better than the South East this year, but the Southern releases do seem to be mostly very BR friendly...

Restaurant Cars were used on the Eastern Section. 

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Restaurant Cars were used on the Eastern Section. 

Jason

As were many Pullman cars.  Not just for the all-Pullman Golden Arrow and Thanet Belle trains, but also in a number of boat trains and Kent Coast expresses some of which had up to 4 Pullmans at times. 

Disappointed there is no Class 31 in the range. I think it is a good model and a BR Blue re livery was dropped from the 2016 announcements. What with mazak rot i suspect there are a few who would like to replace their crumbling collection.

Mark 

Yes I'm also disappointed that the green D5509 dropped from the 2016 range has not been reintroduced. With a bit of minor retooling to incorporate the front steps they could have got two more livery variations.

Knowing Mr.K's love for 31's I hope he will be in a position to rectify this omission..................and provide some spare castings for the fatigued sought after chassis. Try getting hold of the green headcode 31's at present!

Here's hoping!

• RMweb Gold

Slightly disappointed with Hornby. I've been good all year, eaten all of my greens, even done the washing up! If that doesn't earn a early period pannier, nothing will. The longer Hornby continue to 'dole out' the 2721, the longer before they produce a high fidelity, high quality pannier.

I can't eat many more Brussell Sprouts....

• RMweb Gold

As were many Pullman cars.  Not just for the all-Pullman Golden Arrow and Thanet Belle trains, but also in a number of boat trains and Kent Coast expresses some of which had up to 4 Pullmans at times.

Yes. Eardley Sidings, by Streatham Junction, was full of weird and wonderful coaching stock and Pullmans right up to the completion of Phase 2 of Kent Coast Electrification, in 1961. It is now covered by housing.

If the van has a pin socket, you could swap out the chip ?, but if doing that you might as well put it in the loco.

Stationary sounds, in a box van in a siding, is quite a low cost, quick solution, I think it'd do well. I might even consider one for my DC layout and add an AC feed for 1 isolated siding.

Perhaps there will be a "tilt" switch in the van,  whenthe van is  in motion or subjected  to impacts  of coupling/buffering up tyhe decoder will respond with  appropriate sounds.

Does anyone else recall how an unfitted  freight train, when " stationary"  at a signal ,  the vans would creep as the buffers and couplings yielded and released energy,  it would send long travelling waves of motion up and down the length of the train? Pity the poor guard in the brakevan who would be thrown off his feet as the wave reversed direction. I think this was known as a rug or ruck

• RMweb Gold

Surprised there isn’t a BR Duchess from the new tool especially considering how quickly 46256 and 46299 have disappeared from shelves despite premium pricing. In the same vein I am surprised Hornby see a market for 2 Patriots (albeit 1947 lined black hasn’t appeared on this model before) and the Black 5 which now really needs  either the Brassmasters detailing kit or an upgrade by Hornby to stand comparison with modern RTR.

Strange that there seems to be an emphasis on BR early crest too (is there really a market for 2 S15's?) and the J36. Early crest always seem to linger in shops after late crest has sold out – at least in my experience.

Hornby will not see much of my money this year I'm afraid, a couple of Class 20 TTS chips along with my outstanding order for Class 37 and 47 TTS. A shame the previously demonstrated  Class 08 chip doesn’t appear for listed separate release.

If Bachmann deliver this year they'll get money for the V2 and a rake of Portholes in maroon, Class 24 and 25 and I'm tempted to re join their collectors club in the hope that’s where the BR NE Green J72 lands.

For me its 1 nil to Bachmann for 2018 – they just need to get the goods to market.

Some things never change. I assume that the illustrations at the start of this topic are scans of the Hornby catalogue. Always gaff-prone, it seems worse than ever. We know that the electrification of the Western Main Line is taking a long time but Hornby seems to think it began in 1965, according to the blurb about the Grange. I do wish Hornby would describe its Rebuilt Patriot as such and not as a Patriot. Going by the blurb, Hornby seems to have confused itself by failing to grasp the difference. One of these models is illustrated with “Satan’s Plug”, the other with the older connection. Other clangers have been pointed out. It is very amusing but not edifying. Hornby badly needs to get someone with a titter of wit to proof read the catalogue.

Anyhow, unlike the Bachmann listing, the Hornby one makes it difficult to see the wood for the trees. Perhaps that is why the Bachmann listing is more exciting. All those DMUs! Perhaps it’s because so much of the Hornby stuff has been guessed or announced already.

Having waded through it all, though, there is a bit to please me. For my part, I shall give the blue MN a miss because of the flangeless trailing wheels (a fetish of mine beyond reason) but I note with pleasure that Hornby seems to be sorting its paintbox out. The blue looks much more impressive than the insipid shade of the blue Kings. I’m sure that many people less eccentric than I am will queue for it.

The LN is very welcome. In the lean times of many years ago I had one professionally built. I would have chosen Sir Francis Drake, wouldn’t I? When 850 himself was restored and taken out on the main line, the crew was well aware of the poor reputation of the class but they were very impressed by Nellie’s performance. That was due to Bulleid getting something right for once. So, I think a Lemaître one (“Rodders”) will join the fleet.

I join in welcoming the appearance of a North British locomotive, although I’m sure a Caledonian in blue would sell better to those who cannot resist a pretty face. I’ll depend on Rails to fish out the TTS decoder and pass on the saving.

Last but by no means least, I can see myself scrabbling for cash to get a Coronation or two. At long last, the old one I have can hide in shame when faced by a satisfactory new one.

As for coaches, the Maunsell Restaurant must hit many nails on their heads but I hope Hornby addresses the sticky running of the Maunsell LSWR rebuilds.

There isn’t much progress in upgrading Hornby’s antiquated wagon fleet this year. I suppose Hornby is putting what money it has into more spectacular stuff. Of note is the SE&CR three plank. Something from a pre-grouping company is welcome and I think it is better than nothing although many purists won’t agree.

So, no 91? It would require a whole train and whilst I would have loved one, I dare say that Hornby just plain can’t afford it.

• Like 1