sem34090

• Administrators

Now, with the Hornby 'link' perhaps there are plans to reintroduce items like this,

attachicon.gifa.png

the gun can try and shoot it as it whizzes around at great speed!

Maybe a 4mm scale SRN 4 in BR livery could be next DCC sound fitted and you could fill it with Oxford Cars then even use it outside.

attachicon.gifa.png

edit: overlapped Hroth's post.

I specifically asked Simon K last week about the Turbo Car while interviewing him for something else. He didn't say no explicitly. Didn't say yes either though. :-(

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian. I didn't think so. 

Was this because no one thought of it, or that no one thought anyone would seriously want one? Or was it just an item that because of its novelty status slipped through?

*None of this is meant as a means to bemoan the poll. I don't think anyone realistically saw this coming...

And your final sentence sums up the whole point of this model I suspect.  Very much left field, something nobody else is likely to even think of touching in this day & age, something that will appeal at lower price pojnt to anyone and everyone who likes something a bit different, something (at ;least as far as the WWII version is concerned) that can accurately run around with an ROD Dean Goods (see what I did there?), and utterly useless to a pretty wide range of 'serious' railway modellers.  I wouldn't mind betting it'll sell like hotcakes and appear in far more places and time bands (sorry 'eras') that might even be imagined as likely let alone genuinely possible.

Of course I won't buy one - and obviously most others contributing to this thread won't either but i suspect Oxford might well be tiring of us asa potential market anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought.

Perhaps Oxford Rail are going to announce a range of models to revitalise the old Triang Battle Space concept?

In later announcments, look for an exploding boxcar, a flying helicopter mounted on a Warflat and a Turbo Car with ramming spike!

Elf n Safety would stop the Turbo Car . Would need to be made of Jelly incase it hits anyone

• Administrators

And your final sentence sums up the whole point of this model I suspect.  Very much left field, something nobody else is likely to even think of touching in this day & age, something that will appeal at lower price pojnt to anyone and everyone who likes something a bit different, something (at ;least as far as the WWII version is concerned) that can accurately run around with an ROD Dean Goods (see what I did there?), and utterly useless to a pretty wide range of 'serious' railway modellers.  I wouldn't mind betting it'll sell like hotcakes and appear in far more places and time bands (sorry 'eras') that might even be imagined as likely let alone genuinely possible.

Having handled the prototypes, this a LOT of model for your money and I'd agree that it should sell really well to people who just like the idea of something different. Yes, it's an odd choice, but commerically, I'd say unless someone has messed up the costings, then it's a winner.

The Lima Leopold gun is also due a re-release this year. I quite fancy one of those too, or at least if I didn't have a plastic kit tucked away for one I would. (No, not the amazing 1/32nd kit)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Of course I won't buy one - and obviously most others contributing to this thread won't either but i suspect Oxford might well be tiring of us asa potential market anyway.

Yes I wonder if Oxford Rail will now just wither on the vine and that maybe the gun is a way of catering to the military market . Strange thing is , unless I'm mistaken , didn't they also announce 5 plank and 12t tank wagons ?

I attend lots of Model Railway Exhibitions . Aside I think from one layout that featured a wartime quay scene (and you could argue the gun is not appropriate for that) I've never seen a layout on which this could be placed in context. That's a lot of layouts over 20-30 years!

• Administrators

Yes I wonder if Oxford Rail will now just wither on the vine and that maybe the gun is a way of catering to the military market . Strange thing is , unless I'm mistaken , didn't they also announce 5 plank and 12t tank wagons ?

I attend lots of Model Railway Exhibitions . Aside I think from one layout that featured a wartime quay scene (and you could argue the gun is not appropriate for that) I've never seen a layout on which this could be placed in context. That's a lot of layouts over 20-30 years!

Seriously? Find me a retailer who isn't shifting all the OR products they can get. Whatever a few people on-line think, the products are selling. I've spoken to the team a few times over the years and generally, there isn't much in the warehouse. Like it or not, OR seem to be producing products that people like at a price they are willing to pay.

A good example is the cattle wagon - I know someone who has a train of these because he says he can't see both sides at once and at the price, he can afford a train of them. He's happy and doesn't appear to be alone in this.

The gun is what I call a "Lollypop model". Pretty/interesting, but of no real use if you are strictly building a sprecific prototype. Very few people ARE that disciplined though. I bet there isn't anyone on this forum who doesn't have at least one model they bought just because they liked it. How many Heljan prototype diesesl really fit on their owner's layouts? Or APT-Es? I'd bet rather less than those bought, but modellers like unusual rolling stock and seem willing to buy it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Brian. I didn't think so. 

Was this because no one thought of it, or that no one thought anyone would seriously want one? Or was it just an item that because of its novelty status slipped through?

*None of this is meant as a means to bemoan the poll. I don't think anyone realistically saw this coming...

I know quite a few military modellers who would like a model rail gun. There are at least two threads on this forum where people are scratchbuilding  rail mounted guns. One is for the 18 inch Howitzer and the other for a 12 inch howitzer. Instead of adding their want to a "Wishlist" they got out their tools and started to make their own.

Is the market ready for another regional specific 0-6-0 tender engine?

One question I have will this lovely gun go round my 2nd radius curves? I hope the muzzle doesn't knock over my signals. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Seriously? Find me a retailer who isn't shifting all the OR products they can get. Whatever a few people on-line think, the products are selling. I've spoken to the team a few times over the years and generally, there isn't much in the warehouse. Like it or not, OR seem to be producing products that people like at a price they are willing to pay.

A good example is the cattle wagon - I know someone who has a train of these because he says he can't see both sides at once and at the price, he can afford a train of them. He's happy and doesn't appear to be alone in this.

The gun is what I call a "Lollypop model". Pretty/interesting, but of no real use if you are strictly building a sprecific prototype. Very few people ARE that disciplined though. I bet there isn't anyone on this forum who doesn't have at least one model they bought just because they liked it. How many Heljan prototype diesesl really fit on their owner's layouts? Or APT-Es? I'd bet rather less than those bought, but modellers like unusual rolling stock and seem willing to buy it.

Agreed , I have also bought some OR wagons because of good value for money , and will certainly have a good look at the Mk3 for £29.95. Maintaining the wartime theme the GWR plain green Deans seems to have gone Missing In Action. Excellent value its no wonder retailers are shifting them . Others could learn from this.  But that was before their major shareholder became CEO of Hornby and a possible share purchase by Hornby . I just wonder what future lies ahead for Oxford Rail . It maybe that going down the niche market is where their future lies .

I appreciate that people buy models that are pretty or not really what they are modelling . I bought a Huntley & Palmers Peckett just because I liked the colour, but at the end of the day they are still model locomotives or carriages and although extremely unlikely to be seen together do not look out of place . But a big gun? To me it just crosses the line out of model railways . But I wish them well. Its certainly a good price

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

Having handled the prototypes, this a LOT of model for your money and I'd agree that it should sell really well to people who just like the idea of something different. Yes, it's an odd choice, but commerically, I'd say unless someone has messed up the costings, then it's a winner.

The Lima Leopold gun is also due a re-release this year. I quite fancy one of those too, or at least if I didn't have a plastic kit tucked away for one I would. (No, not the amazing 1/32nd kit)

Whats the minimum radius curve it'll cope with?

Only because a spur of a couple of R1 curves would make a wonderful aiming siding.....

Philou here,

Ahhhh ...... well, I might be tempted to go for one. Just so happens that I'm about to start a layout (on another thread) that includes Pontrilas, which during wartime served an ammo dump, which if I stretch Rule 1 plus a Dean Goods (or an early diesel as shown in the earlier photographs), that would make a talking piece. Yes yes, I know unprototypical ......

I wonder if they will bring out the ammunition van - that looked interesting - six wheel bogies .........................

Cheers,

Philip

Strange, how much upset there is that Oxford has chosen to manufacture something that has some wider potential, some fascination, some distinctly off-beat attraction, and something that maybe one of their team fancies, rather than, say, a rake of Toplight coaches. This is something that's aimed at a much wider market than those among us who model a specific place, date and time and have to justify every purchase as being appropriate on that basis. As brilliant as that is, those who choose that route don't represent the mainstream model railway market. There's a far larger segment who buy and run a particular model just because they like it. They'll be the people who'll buy the big gun, and I reckon there will be lots of them. Ironically, I could actually justify one on my favourite branch line, as Boche Buster was worked over the Staines West branch and the wartime spur onto the Southern, en route from store at Catterick to Kent. It's just a pity I don't have a model of the Staines branch to run it on but I'll most probably buy the model anyway! It'll impress the heck out of my grandson! (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

. But a big gun? To me it just crosses the line out of model railways . But I wish them well. Its certainly a good price

It crosses the rail and military modelling markets very nicely though and will appeal to both plus it has a 'wow' factor that will grab lots more general attention in shop windows.

There's a lot of wringing of hands about the future of the hobby but I'll bet a few buy this, then get some track to go with it, then a loco to pose with it . . . Hold on I'm now a railway Modeller!

( erm I do beg your pardon but opening boxes doesn't constitute making one a Modeller! Where have you ritually stabbed yourself with a scalpel and walked across the hot soldering irons to enable one to see more clearly the number of rivets inside? ;) ).

It's an astute choice proved by the Lima Leopold still being produced 30+, might even be 40, years later without retooling.

Strange, how much upset there is that Oxford has chosen to manufacture something that has some wider potential, some fascination, some distinctly off-beat attraction, and something that maybe one of their team fancies, rather than, say, a rake of Toplight coaches. This is something that's aimed at a much wider market than those among us who model a specific place, date and time and have to justify every purchase as being appropriate on that basis. As brilliant as that is, those who choose that route don't represent the mainstream model railway market. There's a far larger segment who buy and run a particular model just because they like it. They'll be the people who'll buy the big gun, and I reckon there will be lots of them. Ironically, I could actually justify one on my favourite branch line, as Boche Buster was worked over the Staines West branch and the wartime spur onto the Southern, en route from store at Catterick to Kent. It's just a pity I don't have a model of the Staines branch to run it on but I'll most probably buy the model anyway! It'll impress the heck out of my grandson! (CJL)

Oxford obviously think it will sell because they would not invest heavily in such a complex (and expensive) model. I think Oxford knows what is doing, especially in light of what appears to be a reverse takeover of Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

And if you make it fire, you’ll be sure that he'll Behave.

• RMweb Gold

And if you make it fire, you’ll be sure that he'll Behave.

As a slight aside, I wonder what the internal bore of the rail gun is?

Is it rifled?

I can see exhibitions, where rail borne artillery are taking pot-shots at other layouts across the exhibition hall.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

As a slight aside, I wonder what the internal bore of the rail gun is?

Is it rifled?

I can see exhibitions, where rail borne artillery are taking pot-shots at other layouts across the exhibition hall.

Ian.

Sunday night warfare after the show to aid with dismantling  ?

Back in the 1990s when I was a long haired hipped in California, working at one of the dotcoms, on a friday afternoon we'd do a few drinks and have an office war fare games (using sponge balls).. lobbing them across the offices..but hey hey this gun would be game for the fight.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Sunday night warfare after the show to aid with dismantling  ?

Back in the 1990s when I was a long haired hipped in California, working at one of the dotcoms, on a friday afternoon we'd do a few drinks and have an office war fare games (using sponge balls).. lobbing them across the offices..but hey hey this gun would be game for the fight.

Just as long it's not a 7:62 FMJ.

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm. Sixteen axles on a big rail gun for fifty quid from Oxford Rail. Quite a contrast to ten axles of crane from Bachmann for £250!

And Oxford will surely sell lots more big guns than Hornby will manage to sell Maudes.

I need at least three for the ‘kids train’ on the exhibition layout... pulled by Thomas of course. :yes:

I wonder if they’ll fire matchsticks?

While military modelers will certainly want to buy the guns, I doubt those wanting Boche Buster will be prepared to pay nearly 4 times as much because it comes with a fully fledged ROD RTR loco that will know little about. I am not normally against packages but this time, the package is not lower than buying the would be parts (loco and gun) separately.

This I feel will probably slow sales of the individual parts which I think would sell better if they were sold separately.

• Administrators

While military modelers will certainly want to buy the guns, I doubt those wanting Boche Buster will be prepared to pay nearly 4 times as much because it comes with a fully fledged ROD RTR loco that will know little about. I am not normally against packages but this time, the package is not lower than buying the would be parts (loco and gun) separately.

This I feel will probably slow sales of the individual parts which I think would sell better if they were sold separately.

From the catalogue:

OR76DG009 - ROD Dean Goods No.2308

OR76BOOM02 - Railgun Gladiator WWII    (Excellent catalogue number by the way)

OR76BOOM01/XS WWI Boche Buster camouflage and ROD2330 celebration set.

Basically, you can have the gun without the loco and the loco, albeit with a slightly different number, without the gun. Military modellers are generally happy to paint things so renumbering a loco or slapping on some camouflage won't worry them.

Hmmm. Sixteen axles on a big rail gun for fifty quid from Oxford Rail. Quite a contrast to ten axles of crane from Bachmann for £250!

And Oxford will surely sell lots more big guns than Hornby will manage to sell Maudes.

I need at least three for the ‘kids train’ on the exhibition layout... pulled by Thomas of course. :yes:

I wonder if they’ll fire matchsticks?

Are you sure about that ?. Although a J37 is not a choice for me, I would probably buy one whereas I would definately never buy a gun.

And for completeness I would have one and a half rakes of BR(WR) non corridors - some in maroon and some in crimson !!!

Obviously Oxford think they have a market for the gun, and it doesn't need more than a yard of track to display in a case or a diorama. 

I still believe this is the age of the 0-6-0 and I am sure "Maude" and "Haig" will sell well, but also think the bog standard dirty black one will fly off the shelves. Hornby would need to keep the momentum going though in 2019 or 2020 with a Caley 0-4-4 or other such Scottish favourite. Watch Dapol's NBL Type 2 sales for evidence of a Scottish modelling explosion.

• Like 1

From the catalogue:

OR76DG009 - ROD Dean Goods No.2308

OR76BOOM02 - Railgun Gladiator WWII    (Excellent catalogue number by the way)

OR76BOOM01/XS WWI Boche Buster camouflage and ROD2330 celebration set.

Basically, you can have the gun without the loco and the loco, albeit with a slightly different number, without the gun. Military modellers are generally happy to paint things so renumbering a loco or slapping on some camouflage won't worry them.

Excellent news that the ROD Dean Goods is available without the gun.

I don't see any sign of it (OR76DG009) on Hattons or any of the other major internet suppliers or indeed on the OR website. Are you reading about it in a printed catalog?

• Administrators

Excellent news that the ROD Dean Goods is available without the gun.

I don't see any sign of it (OR76DG009) on Hattons or any of the other major internet suppliers or indeed on the OR website. Are you reading about it in a printed catalog?

Yes I am.

ORcat.jpg