Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2018 - 24th and 25th November

Liam

• RMweb Gold

Surprised to see that Wizard Models will not be at Warley this year, so no Comet bits either :(

I was too but Andrew doesn't want the stress that Warley brings and so pulled out. He's cut back on a few of his regular shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

PARKING

I am going to the Grand Designs Show tomorrow (free tickets via local newspaper promotion) and went to the NEC site to check opening times and parking arrangements.

Pre-paid parking is £12 which is about what I expected based on previous visits, but I see that the 'Pay on the Day' parking charge is now £16 !!

Obviously this is to encourage more to book in advance but it's a bit of a shock to be asked for an extra £4 when paying cash. I have also booked for the Caravan Show which is next week and for that the parking is free but I suppose it's all built into the cost of the halls / stands etc.

I know that in the past we have been advised to use a local station, park for free and get a cheap ticket to the NEC station. What do members here recommend ?

I know that in the past we have been advised to use a local station, park for free and get a cheap ticket to the NEC station. What do members here recommend ?

A train ticket from the nearest station with free parking is less than the cost of parking at the NEC, so yes, that's definitely the best option if money is your primary concern. But it is, of course, less flexible and more time-consuming.

The other option is to park in the railway station car park rather than the NEC car parks. That's a longer walk to the exhibition halls (and there's no free shuttle bus like there is from some NEC car parks), but it's half the price and as easy to get to by car as the NEC. That's what I usually do.

So long as you know the times of the trains I reckon catching a train one or two stops is not much different to catching a bus to the NEC car park and queuing to get out.

£16 is a ripoff. It could be argued that everyone going to the caravan show, including those arriving by train have paid towards the cost of car parking in their admission ticket.

The NEC is of course now owned by a "business development" company.

Wow, the parking price has shot up since I last went. I think I parked in the 'Orange' section or whatever it was and was no-where near as expensive as that. Though I don't mind paying for the parking convenience and I can nip out to drop off some of my acquisitions during the day.

• RMweb Premium

It could be argued that everyone going to the caravan show, including those arriving by train have paid towards the cost of car parking in their admission ticket.

You would think so but Caravan Club member concession rate is only £7.50.  The show covers all of the 'new' part of the NEC (Halls 6 - 12 & 17 - 20) and I expect that the manufacturers are paying for the parking in their stand costs as in some halls there are only two or three manufacturers as their stands are so big . . . . .

You would think so but Caravan Club member concession rate is only £7.50.  The show covers all of the 'new' part of the NEC (Halls 6 - 12 & 17 - 20) and I expect that the manufacturers are paying for the parking in their stand costs as in some halls there are only two or three manufacturers as their stands are so big . . . . .

That's strange, thought it was free for Caravan club members last year. But we've got free tickets again this year from a campervan showroom in Nottinghamshire where we bought our campervan from. ;)

We're very excited to have secured a lastminute.com slot at Warley. Thanks to those involved!

You all come very highly recommended by our friends at the Deltic Preservation Society, and we can't wait! Some of you here already know us, but I hope to meet a lot more of you in person.

Do come and find us, and see what we have to offer. There is a slim chance we may have an important, and 'exclusive' announcement to make... but everything is a bit fluid at the moment.

Cheers!
Martin.

Class 37 Locomotive Group Chairman.

www.c37lg.co.uk

post-27292-0-81553400-1539285435_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

That's strange, thought it was free for Caravan club members last year. But we've got free tickets again this year from a campervan showroom in Nottinghamshire where we bought our campervan from. ;)

I can only assume caravan manufacturers make more money than model railway equipment suppliers

• Like 1

I can only assume caravan manufacturers make more money than model railway equipment suppliers

Absolutely, in fact transporting them to the NEC and setting up the displays is costly as well - a few years ago someone from the aforementioned showroom said it cost them a six-figure sum for everything that weekend.

Anyway, back to Warley....

I must have filled in the safety forms correctly.  The badges for Hawthorn Dene have now arrived.  That means you are stuck with us.  Stand C31, just around the corner from the N Gauge Society, and next door to Westbrook with Paul and Alan (must learn some new insults as we'll be trading them all weekend....)

Team is myself, Geoff, Bob and Mr Simon.

The layout looks a little different - the big black proscenium has gone and the name sits atop the backscene.  Pic from Weston Super Mare last month.  I will have sorted out the leaning-back upright though with layouts either side it won't be as visible as it was at Weston.

post-13358-0-93810700-1539293525_thumb.jpg

Don't forget to say hello.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

I posted our forms back on Tuesday so hopefully the badges etc should be back with us shortly. We have been allocated D49 as a spot. I have to finish the locos and install some extra magnets for the couplings and we should be good to go with Lowick.

Marc

Wow, the parking price has shot up since I last went. I think I parked in the 'Orange' section or whatever it was and was no-where near as expensive as that. Though I don't mind paying for the parking convenience and I can nip out to drop off some of my acquisitions during the day.

My rail ticket from the North West with my Senor Railcard works out cheaper  :sungum:  :sungum:  happy days me thinks ...plus I have no fuel costs ...your right it's a rip off  :triniti:

Last year I bought my Warley ticket from Ian Allan in Birmingham, and I'm sure I heard that this year tickets are again available there, and also from their Waterloo shop; Can anyone confirm this please ? (I can't see any mention of this facility on the Warley website). Thanks. 

• RMweb Premium

Last year I bought my Warley ticket from Ian Allan in Birmingham, and I'm sure I heard that this year tickets are again available there, and also from their Waterloo shop; Can anyone confirm this please ? (I can't see any mention of this facility on the Warley website). Thanks.

Yes they are..its on the home page for the show

https://www.thewarleyshow.co.uk/index.html

Baz

On the great parking debate, you can park in the station car park which I believe is now £8 for the day or you could always use the train for the whole journey. Using the online site to buy show tickets gives you 25% of Virgin fares, return from London was only £12.