Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

12 hours ago, HExpressD said:

I'm sure I remember seeing somewhere that Hattons, to speed up photography of pre-owned items, were stopping taking some items out of their boxes, if this is true and this is still done then I suppose its no wonder that this has ended up happening. Happy to be corrected on this, and I am sure that Hattons will solve the non running 66 issues swiftly. 

They are supposed to not be opening items that are factory sealed.

With regards to Class 66 with no motor - was it non-runner sold as seen?  If so pretty much the caveat - buyer beware.  Pays your money, takes your chance.  I think that the main thing is the £90+ for non-runner, but people seem happy to go for it.  Look at the bright side -still cheaper than a DBSO!  Suppose you could convert it to HVO!  All the rage......

7 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

To be honest if this is stuff from there ruturns of new faulty items i would be surprized,if they are getting them as trade ins why dont they weigh them for a quick test,easy done if they are that pressed for time.

Time is money - Test it, none runner, list it as such, sold as seen.  Get what you can, plus if got no Spares, opening up solves nothing, sell it at least got some value from it with little outlay - no labour charge to add on!  Plus sods to open up, risk of breaking steps they have no spares for.  

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

They are supposed to not be opening items that are factory sealed.

With regards to Class 66 with no motor - was it non-runner sold as seen?  If so pretty much the caveat - buyer beware.  Pays your money, takes your chance.  I think that the main thing is the £90+ for non-runner, but people seem happy to go for it.  Look at the bright side -still cheaper than a DBSO!  Suppose you could convert it to HVO!  All the rage......

Factory sealed is a different matter. Second hand, unless specified as brand new unopened, implies that it’s been run. 

3 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Factory sealed is a different matter. Second hand, unless specified as brand new unopened, implies that it’s been run. 

That was what I got from the e-mail from Hattons.  If the item is immaculate and it's still sealed from the factory, then the contents should be  there, hence we are not opening it and devaluing it!  If its been opened, we will still open, inspect and take photos of the specific item.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

That was what I got from the e-mail from Hattons.  If the item is immaculate and it's still sealed from the factory, then the contents should be  there, hence we are not opening it and devaluing it!  If its been opened, we will still open, inspect and take photos of the specific item.

Bit of an odd one that as they aren’t sealed as such from the factory. No one would ever know if Hattons had taken a new one out the box fur testing.

They have started sending second hand items shrink wrapped in cellophane so they can tell if the recipient has opened the box.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Andy7 said:

Bit of an odd one that as they aren’t sealed as such from the factory. No one would ever know if Hattons had taken a new one out the box fur testing.

They have started sending second hand items shrink wrapped in cellophane so they can tell if the recipient has opened the box.

No, I think your confusing the matter slightly.  Not on about their Class 66s.  They are on about for example a Hornby HST inner where the cardboard sellotape has not been removed from the polystyrene, or the likes of a Bachmann 158/159 in the old boxes wrapped in cellophane which has not been opened, hence still factory sealed, thus in factory condition and never run!

Wrapped pre-owned, for unboxed hopefully keeps everything together, possibly perceived as adding value, i.e. customer has something to unwrap, but ultimately has to be opened for customer to check the contents.....

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2022 at 08:19, Torbay Express said:

No, I think your confusing the matter slightly.  Not on about their Class 66s.  They are on about for example a Hornby HST inner where the cardboard sellotape has not been removed from the polystyrene, or the likes of a Bachmann 158/159 in the old boxes wrapped in cellophane which has not been opened, hence still factory sealed, thus in factory condition and never run!

Wrapped pre-owned, for unboxed hopefully keeps everything together, possibly perceived as adding value, i.e. customer has something to unwrap, but ultimately has to be opened for customer to check the contents.....

Your first line says it all. Nothing to do with the Hattons 66 so shouldn’t be in this thread! End.

19 hours ago, Andy7 said:

Your first line says it all. Nothing to do with the Hattons 66 so shouldn’t be in this thread! End.

If you read in context and don't let your ego get the better of you, it was about people who had recently purchased pre-owned Class 66's without motors and cellphane wrapping.  Someone was getting confused regarding the new Hattons pre-owned new policy and why Class 66's had allegedly been sold minus motor!  Hence, discussion in this thread! Your comment is just noise and totally useless!

If it makes you happy.......here is one of the two I purchased in cellophane!

IMG_20220616_090802.thumb.jpg.e88a3eabbbdc2d14a9c7e84ca05d1860.jpg

Enjoy.....Makes your comment totally inadequate, by your own criteria!

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Is this a private argument or can anybody join in?

Best of friends.  Model Railway brotherly love at its finest!  Now it is going off topic!

Here's number two......Phew......(what's your excuse?😄)

IMG_20220616_112008.thumb.jpg.4705883fce0d4d39a60375f35831015e.jpg

Both had a couple of bits missing, and lots of work to get them to run correctly!

Edited by Torbay Express
E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Whilst it's a comedy description, I bet it's one where they (or a customer) have swapped the sound into a replacement due to the steps being missing.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2022 at 09:57, HExpressD said:

I'm sure I remember seeing somewhere that Hattons, to speed up photography of pre-owned items, were stopping taking some items out of their boxes, if this is true and this is still done then I suppose its no wonder that this has ended up happening. Happy to be corrected on this, and I am sure that Hattons will solve the non running 66 issues swiftly. 

Seems to be the case, bit off topic but looking at an item I have been searching for that they have secondhand, there is one photo of it in the box and this is as much info as you get:

Product Description

Packaging : Very good box

Decoration : Pristine

no idea what actual condition the model is in, whether it runs, whether it is intact etc but they are charging full whack for it. Very odd.

UPDATE:

I did look around their website but couldn't find any info so emailed Hattons and they responded within an hour or two as follows:

"This item has been checked by our expert pre-owned team who has confirmed this item is as new. With any of our pre-owned items you can be confident that if no damage or issues are mentioned in the product title or description our team have confirmed this item to be as new without any issues."

Doesn't seem obvious where this is set out on their website unless I am being a bit slow.  I have raised with them. Not sure it solves the duff 66 issue though!

Edited by ruggedpeak
update
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

That comment is what puts me off,so many of them in all walks of life it has one wondering why everything is such a mess,not many experts at anything.

Will find out when it arrives!

23 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

"This item has been checked by our expert pre-owned team who has confirmed this item is as new. With any of our pre-owned items you can be confident that if no damage or issues are mentioned in the product title or description our team have confirmed this item to be as new without any issues."

Ahh I see, so you have to infer that what isn't in the description is a part of the model, how incredibly odd. From that then, with no mention of DCC anywhere i'd assume this was fully sound fitted with lights added and throw a wobbly if if turns out not to be ;) 

On 08/05/2018 at 12:06, Hattons Dave said:

Morning all!

post-28458-0-65654300-1530701034_thumb.jpg

Today we're excited to unveil our latest project, the Class 66 in OO Gauge.

The model represents our biggest project to date, engineered from the ground-up using the very latest design and production techniques - with an all-new tooling, comprehensive detailing and a myriad of features at an affordable price. We want to produce the definitive modern era OO gauge loco and with the Class 66 now entering its third decade - we think there is no better time to do so.

In the first delivery, there will be a total of thirty variations to choose from, showcasing usage of the locomotives by EWS, DB Schenker, Euro Cargo Rail, Freightliner, Direct Rail Services, GBRf and Colas Rail. This means that the lifespan of the 66 will be thoroughly covered in the first release, with a variety of tooling variations and loco-specific modifications on show.

Variations Include:
  • Standard and low emissions versions
  • 3 headlight configurations
  • 2 different cabside windows
  • 2 different fuel tank sizes
  • With and without mirrors
  • With and without Auto coupling
  • Early and late sandboxes
  • Cab seam behind front handrail (where applicable)
  • Cab vents
Below you can find a detail matrix highlighting which tooling variations are present on each model:

post-28458-0-70540700-1530700397_thumb.jpg

Model Specification:
  • Cab front with ‘invisible’ seam
  • Rotating axleboxes
  • Clip off bodyshell for easy access to DCC socket and speaker recess
  • 2 types of air dam included, 1 with coupling holes, the other without
  • Space for new ‘Passive Radiator’ speaker with ultimate dynamic sound range
  • ‘Sound Ready’ with socket for speaker to plug into, no soldering needed
  • Underframe features full detail with cable runs and separately fitted pipes
  • 21-pin DCC ready
  • 3 digital functions allowing independent control of headlights, tail lights and cab lights
  • 3 Switches on bottom of loco allowing lights to be selected on or off on analogue
  • Etched horn grilles
  • Etched radiator grilles
  • Etched side grilles - fully folded to replicate concertina style on real locomotives
  • Representation of equipment behind side grilles
  • Fully detailed cab
  • Fully detailed bogies including all pipework and separately fitted handbrake linkages
  • Sand pipes and body to bogie chains modelled
  • Heavy diecast chassis
  • 5 pole motor with 2 flywheels
  • All wheel drive
  • RP25 wheels
  • Sprung buffers
  • High quality livery printing
  • Details for individual locos such as windscreen wipers and snow ploughs

Here are a selection of CAD images showcasing the variations that will be available as well as the level of detail to be included in each model:

Standard Body
post-28458-0-51293700-1525774407_thumb.jpg

Low-Emission Body
post-28458-0-97480900-1525774689_thumb.jpg

Front Coupling
post-28458-0-59443300-1525774728_thumb.jpg

Bogie Detail
post-28458-0-68497400-1525774754_thumb.jpg

Bodyside Etched Grilles
post-28458-0-86495900-1525774776_thumb.jpg

Variations Available to Order:

As mentioned, there are 30 models available in the first batch which cover the life span of the class so far in a number of liveries, each can be seen below:

post-28458-0-08622500-1530700394.jpg

post-28458-0-66012500-1525775546_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-20538200-1525775554_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-15677700-1525775563_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-33742700-1525775570_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-33891700-1525775577_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-14823800-1525964584_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-07951300-1530700437_thumb.jpg

For the first time we will be offering Digital Fitted and Sound Fitted options from the factory.

Pricing:

Digital Ready:  £150
Digital Fitted:   £165
Sound Fitted:   £265 

All versions can be viewed and pre-ordered on our website at: www.hattons.co.uk/66

The models are currently in tooling and delivery is expected to be in March 2019.

I will make sure to keep you up to date with the progress in development.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-26504200-1525776511_thumb.jpg

Is there anyone from Hattons who can comment on the likelihood of a re run? I know their will be a lot of speculation to what / why / how etc... but something from the horses mouth would be great.

S-hand prices seem to be going up and EWS/DB examples seem to be hard to come by amongst others.

I have recently got back in to the hobby and missed out on the first run so have a bout x4 on my wish list to get hold of to replace Bachmann ones... I imagine myself a small re-run of a few of the staple liveries (EWS, FL, GBRF, DRS, DB etc + the odd one or two individual liveries) would be a sure bet?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

Is there anyone from Hattons who can comment on the likelihood of a re run? I know their will be a lot of speculation to what / why / how etc... but something from the horses mouth would be great.

S-hand prices seem to be going up and EWS/DB examples seem to be hard to come by amongst others.

I have recently got back in to the hobby and missed out on the first run so have a bout x4 on my wish list to get hold of to replace Bachmann ones... I imagine myself a small re-run of a few of the staple liveries (EWS, FL, GBRF, DRS, DB etc + the odd one or two individual liveries) would be a sure bet?

Similar position to me...I would be eager to have some from a second run, if Hattons are following this thread :) . Absolutely loathed to pay the prices being commandeered on eBay - it does show the strength of the market I guess.

• Agree 1

The trend seems to be for manufacturers to announce their products quite late. This gives any potential competitors insufficient time to rush their own versions out but it has the negative effect that if anyone else is planning something (ie Accurascale & Cavalex's HAA), they will have invested too much that cancelling is no longer an option.

The other issue is delivery time. With the first batch, Hattons made several announcements regarding delivery date. Each one was a genuine expectation but they were left a bit embarrassed when problems caused them to be missed.

The tooling now exists & it would be a waste to simply not bother using it again. Issues aside, it is a great model & I expect Hattons to be working hard to address these issues.

I expect Hattons will produce another batch & if I wanted more, I would definitely wait rather than buy something else.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

53 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

negative effect

Another negative effect is if people have money tied up with stuff they are expecting and so can't plan for surprises. Saying that, Bachmann now do this and I haven't heard of that being too problematic.

2 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

and the current Bachmann offering.

Light years?

Don't get me wrong it is better, but I think if Bachmann sorted the air dam and the lighting then it wouldn't be far off. They definitely aren't bad IMO.

How many people actually want/need more 66s? It's a bit of a strange one. I say I don't want or need any more but the moment somebody does one in a bright new livery I will probably cave and buy it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Why there isn’t a “stock” of a decent 66 is somewhat strange considering how many exist and how wide spread they are. 

Everyone seems to be hanging on to them but has enough of them to be selective about buying more.

• Agree 1

On 28/06/2022 at 04:56, TomScrut said:

Light years?

Don't get me wrong it is better, but I think if Bachmann sorted the air dam and the lighting then it wouldn't be far off. They definitely aren't bad IMO.

How many people actually want/need more 66s? It's a bit of a strange one. I say I don't want or need any more but the moment somebody does one in a bright new livery I will probably cave and buy it.

I would definitely buy another Hattons Class 66 if Hattons offered a second run. I would buy 1 perhaps 2 depending on cost.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2