Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

1 hour ago, steve45 said:

So delivery looks like 2 months away, or 60 sleeps, not that I'm counting:yahoo_mini:

I best start thinking of how I explain two boxes turning up 

Might have to borrow a trick from work and neutralise the shipments (remove the paperwork):secret:

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

But 55011 and 55005 are differently detailed models. 11 has one wiper per window plus cab air vents,  05 has two per window and no air vent.

For 55019 in later years, it seems that 55011 is the model closest in terms of detail (but it appears to be fully allocated on pre-orders)

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I was hoping for current preserved condition, would 55019 still be good for 55019?

Thank you for pointing out the differences between the two, would have never noticed that! 

Trust me gentlemen the locos will be worth waiting for judging by the astonishing quality of the recently delivered Irish Metrovics. Hyper scale details, and chassis precision engineering on a new level.  

metrovic A class in 1950s CIE livery

IMG_5320.JPG

Metrovic A class early 1960s CIE livery

IMG_5178.JPG

Metrovic A class late 1960s livery

IMG_4028.JPG

The smooth running quality of these locos crawling over pointwork on speed step 1 has to be seen to be believed. It bodes extremely well for the Deltic and class 37s. A very happy customer.  Locos manufactured to exacting standards we have never seen the like of before.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Foulounoux said:

I best start thinking of how I explain two boxes turning up 

Might have to borrow a trick from work and neutralise the shipments (remove the paperwork):secret:

Classic…..”oh…it’s for the neighbours, I’ll take it round right away” 

And down the side to the shed before she knows it :king:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NoelG said:

Trust me gentlemen the locos will be worth waiting for judging by the astonishing quality of the recently delivered Irish Metrovics. Hyper scale details, and chassis precision engineering on a new level.  

metrovic A class in 1950s CIE livery

IMG_5320.JPG

Metrovic A class early 1960s CIE livery

IMG_5178.JPG

Metrovic A class late 1960s livery

IMG_4028.JPG

The smooth running quality of these locos crawling over pointwork on speed step 1 has to be seen to be believed. It bodes extremely well for the Deltic and class 37s. A very happy customer.  Locos manufactured to exacting standards we have never seen the like of before.

The rails look a bit close together though!

Mike.

Hat, coat etc.

• Funny 3

20 hours ago, Ribird said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I was hoping for current preserved condition, would 55019 still be good for 55019?

Thank you for pointing out the differences between the two, would have never noticed that! 

Nothing would be good for 55019 as preserved. you'd be better off waiting for a future batch. 55019 has a high-intensity headlight today which rather limits/eliminates your choice

At a push D9009 (rails/DPS release) would give you the high Iintesity headlight of the preserved 55019, but you would be left to correct the twin wipers to single wipers. At least you wouldn't have to worry about the nameplate size!

Given the range of detail on these (and other) models now appearing, the days of getting a model in the correct colour and simply renumbering are long gone, if you want to retain the detail and finesse of the model.

Also its no use trying to renumber D9002 to D9000 as preserved, the front step is different on between these locos, and D9002 has cab window air vents which the pioneer does not have.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Unexpectedly in Dublin on Monday evening and Tuesday (work and their ridiculous expectations!), can I come and play with the Deltic and Class 92 samples at Accurascale Towers? Pleeeeasssee.

Andy

Edited by ac1874
  • Funny 2

On 18/02/2022 at 21:45, Ribird said:

I forgot to mention in my previous reply that you would also have to replace the cab glazing on D9009 with a plated quarterlight unit to get '09 to '19.

It would be interesting to hear what Accurascale anticipate as having available as spares in terms of body parts, and when (after a warranty period) these might be available for sale (although I recall they've previously ruled out having spare bogie frames available to re-date D9009 from 2018 to 2019 onwards condition with case bogies). If I knew I could replace the cab glazing and change wiper configs I'd almost be tempted to buy a second D9009 to convert to 55019...

I can appreciate Accurascale don't want to become a 'bits and bobs' seller, but price these spares high enough and those who really want will buy, without your team being over-burdened

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

I can appreciate Accurascale don't want to become a 'bits and bobs' seller, but price these spares high enough and those who really want will buy, without your team being over-burdened

That just means you carry a load of stock with little sales, not a great approach. 

Remember, stock not selling = capital employed. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just out of curiosity, 'Enterprising Western' mentioned that the rails in the pictures of the locomotive looked rather closer together than they really should be, considering the Irish gauge, but the platform road gauge appeared considerably wider than the outer roads! Are they? (I am aware of the Father Ted 'Far Away syndrome')

Edited by harry lamb
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

That just means you carry a load of stock with little sales, not a great approach. 

Remember, stock not selling = capital employed. 

Roy

Yes and...

Assuming spares are lefovers from the production run (i.e. I need 10k cast and 8k fabricated bogie frame mouldings so I mould 10.2 and 8.15k of each) that will be kept for warranty purposes, this is not stuff that is designed to make a profit, or is it capital invested beyond that involved in commissioning a production run. The main cost would be labelling and creating an inventory for sale (which might be different to warranty repair inventory). Therefore any sales should cover the full economic cost (including profit margin) of providing and shipping that part.

In summary, if these are leftover from production run, they are not technically capital tied up. If anything its an opportunity to realise funds from a byproduct of the manufacturing process.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Yes and...

Assuming spares are lefovers from the production run (i.e. I need 10k cast and 8k fabricated bogie frame mouldings so I mould 10.2 and 8.15k of each) that will be kept for warranty purposes, this is not stuff that is designed to make a profit, or is it capital invested beyond that involved in commissioning a production run. The main cost would be labelling and creating an inventory for sale (which might be different to warranty repair inventory). Therefore any sales should cover the full economic cost (including profit margin) of providing and shipping that part.

In summary, if these are leftover from production run, they are not technically capital tied up. If anything its an opportunity to realise funds from a byproduct of the manufacturing process.

I'm sure spares will become available in the fullness of time but at the moment I suspect the priority is not to get distracted but to concentrate on getting as many as the production ready models made, shipped and distributed as possible whilst maintaining the momentum on the many projects in development, both announced and those still under covers in Dublin.

There is a cost in energy, focus and finances in  making parts available separately which is rather easier said than done I should imagine. Hornby, Heljan and Dapol all outsource this whilst Bachmann have only just launched their website. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

HI,

Hoping someone might be able to help me with some advice.

I have a few of these on order and plan on replacing my current Deltic fleet over time and my notes tell me I have a mix of Bachmann 36-553, 36-554 and 36-557 DCC decoders fitted to these. 

I am not very tech savvy though my layout is entirely DCC controlled and I need to know if I can simply swap the current decoders to the Accurascale Deltics or will I need to get different ones?

Thanks in advance for any replies

44 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

HI,

I have a few of these on order and plan on replacing my current Deltic fleet over time and my notes tell me I have a mix of Bachmann 36-553, 36-554 and 36-557 DCC decoders fitted to these. 

I am not very tech savvy though my layout is entirely DCC controlled and I need to know if I can simply swap the current decoders to the Accurascale Deltics or will I need to get different ones?

Accurascale’s 55 is 21-pin. 36-553 in eight pin. You could fit it with an adapter. The other two are 21, so will fit. However, Bachmann’s 21-pin decoders have been improved over time and if yours are old you won’t get the best out of the model. You don’t have to get more up-to-date decoders but it is well worth considering. If you don’t want sound, it’s probably worth waiting to see which decoder will work all the lighting functions of the Accurascale model. Alternatively, ask Accurascale for a recommendation. They are very helpful.

1 hour ago, Alycidon said:

HI,

I have to admit to significant bias (I now don’t buy anyone else’s decoders, apart from the occasional ESU sound decoder) but I’d suggest you give Zimo a try. You will get a decoder to fit any of your current models for £20 each. Honestly, you won’t regret it. That said, if you buy from someone like Coastal DCC they have an amazing return policy!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, philg said:

I have to admit to significant bias (I now don’t buy anyone else’s decoders, apart from the occasional ESU sound decoder) but I’d suggest you give Zimo a try. You will get a decoder to fit any of your current models for £20 each. Honestly, you won’t regret it. That said, if you buy from someone like Coastal DCC they have an amazing return policy!

Agree - everything I have fitted Zimo into runs better than it with Bachmann or Hornby chips, in fact for some Zimo has truly transformed their performance. I appreciate some of this is due to CV's been better suited and the older Bachmann chips could be tweaked for better performance but for plug and play sweet running straight from the box I haven't found anything better. Plenty of dealers out there  - again no affiliation  but I find Youchoose very efficient and friendly. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alycidon said:

HI,

But why would you - don't you still need decoders in the existing locos?

If you're planning to flog off the old ones on Ebay, you'll be able to ask more for them DCC fitted, won't you?

31 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

But why would you - don't you still need decoders in the existing locos?

If you're planning to flog off the old ones on Ebay, you'll be able to ask more for them DCC fitted, won't you?

But probably not enough of a margin more to then pay for brand new decoders and speakers for a Deltic (probably c.£125). If you are lucky you MIGHT be able to get close to the £90 for the margin on a sound-fitted Accurascale deltic, but you might not.

Safer financially to keep the existing sound decoders I would say, noting the lower quality and functionality compared to the latest generation.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

@Accurascale Fran Noting the flange squeal sensors on the 31, will these be available as a future retrofit for the Deltic? Or is it a software 'sensor' on the Loksound chip (i.e. measuring the resistance of the motor or similar), in which case could it be enabled with a reblow of the decoder?

Hi @G-BOAF,

It's a separate bit of hardware and wont be on the first run of Deltics, but we may look to include them on future runs.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

But probably not enough of a margin more to then pay for brand new decoders and speakers for a Deltic (probably c.£125). If you are lucky you MIGHT be able to get close to the £90 for the margin on a sound-fitted Accurascale deltic, but you might not.

Safer financially to keep the existing sound decoders I would say, noting the lower quality and functionality compared to the latest generation.

Don't think the OP was talking about sound decoders?? The decoder references he quoted certainly aren't for sound

If he was, then ignore my comments  about £20 Zimos!