Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, metadyneman said:

Well, my 55 001 has been back with Accurascale now for 14 days after having to return it with a motor/ running fault, and I haven't heard anything yet. They say allow 28 days so I guess this is going to go the whole distance before I get my lovely model back!  A little progress e-mail wouldn't go amiss though 🙂

I got an email saying it had arrived OK, I took that as progress 😉

I think mine returned in about 14 days, but I wasn’t worried I knew it would get home eventually.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I got an email saying it had arrived OK, I took that as progress 😉

I think mine returned in about 14 days, but I wasn’t worried I knew it would get home eventually.

Yes I had the "arrival" e-mail. I guess it's just me, missing a loco I really liked and had less than a week!

Looking forward to getting it back eventually.

43 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

I am sure if you go on the website and open the web chat box, they will give you an update. Their customer service is second to none in my experience

Yes I have used the web chat before. When I returned the loco the person I chatted with did say allow 28 days so I will wait the course and see what happens.

• Like 1

Yay!  Following my last post regarding my "St Paddy" which failed on me a couple of weeks ago. I have now received confirmation that a replacement is due for delivery tomorrow. Still don't know what happened to the motor in the previous one or whether it was even the motor causing the problem, all I do know is that it lost power when running and would only crawl round at a snails pace afterwards.

Superb service Accurascale and thank you. I'll be one happy bunny to get my lovely Deltic back.

Can't wait now to receive the 4x Mk2b coaches when they are released.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, metadyneman said:

Yay!  Following my last post regarding my "St Paddy" which failed on me a couple of weeks ago. I have now received confirmation that a replacement is due for delivery tomorrow. Still don't know what happened to the motor in the previous one or whether it was even the motor causing the problem, all I do know is that it lost power when running and would only crawl round at a snails pace afterwards.

Superb service Accurascale and thank you. I'll be one happy bunny to get my lovely Deltic back.

Can't wait now to receive the 4x Mk2b coaches when they are released.

That’s good to hear. I returned my DCC Ready D9006 a couple of weeks ago due to this same problem. 
Unfortunately, my 55015 is starting to slow, speed up, slow while on a steady voltage. It’s nowhere near as bad as D9006, but if it gets any worse, I fear I’ll have to return that for repair too. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw similar behaviour in Hattons 66’s, Dapol 68’s and 52’s.. several of which stopped altogether.

If its the same issue the fix is pretty simple, but requires opening the motor casing adjusting the brushes, but of course this may invalidate warranties… 

My Deltic (Nimbus) and P4 wheel sets were delivered yesterday by DHL after arriving in Australia on Saturday. They were packed in a substantial box and very well protected. I opened the model up and to my delight found it was completely unaffected by the journey and had no loose bits in the bottom of the packaging.

Deltics have never been on my radar and I only ordered one to support Accurascale doing P4 wheels but it really is an impressive looking model.

Well done to all concerned.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder of the "loose bits in the box" issue was mainly attributable to the packing method that AS used for their domestic deliveries to individual customers?

My two that were ordered directly from AS arrived in a largish box accompanied by a token piece of brown paper, which would have done nothing to stop the two "models" bouncing around inside the cardboard delivery box at any opportunity for Newton's laws to be demonstrated.

Contrast that with my Rails delivery, which arrived totally intact, and the model was carefully wrapped in bubble wrap to make sure that no jiggling took place during the transit by Parcelforce.

Based on my tiny sample, I would say there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the model, it's the AS packing method that needs addressing to maximise the chances of a model arriving intact with the customer.  This being further demonstrated by models being shipped around the globe without loose bits, as stated by Craig above and many others.

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Agree 11

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I saw similar behaviour in Hattons 66’s, Dapol 68’s and 52’s.. several of which stopped altogether.

If its the same issue the fix is pretty simple, but requires opening the motor casing adjusting the brushes, but of course this may invalidate warranties… 

Precisely why mine went back. Despite having about 50 years experience in railway modelling and taking locos/motors etc apart, if something bought brand new goes wrong 6 days after I received it, then it goes back tout suite and even sooner than that!!😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Knapdale said:

That’s good to hear. I returned my DCC Ready D9006 a couple of weeks ago due to this same problem. 
Unfortunately, my 55015 is starting to slow, speed up, slow while on a steady voltage. It’s nowhere near as bad as D9006, but if it gets any worse, I fear I’ll have to return that for repair too. 

I hope it isn't a component similar to the problem encountered with the Kernow models D600 series Warships which has a polyswitch in the circuit causing a few models to conk out after 10 minutes running because it switched out, thinking the motor had overheated!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

They're due in the warehouse tomorrow, took a bit longer than anticipated with the holiday season. 

Cheers!

Fran 

I just assumed they were on strike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

On 25/07/2022 at 09:07, MikeParkin65 said:

Thanks Steve

Programmed on Main and then thought that might be the issue so repeated on the programming track - all CV's definately changed. I have 2 Deltics and have only changed the one so far so will change the second and see what happens and report back.  I have live frogs anyway and dont rely on stay alives so in many ways not an issue for me but being as its fitted I'd like to see it working :)

I have the same problem with my two Deltics, the change of CVs didn’t work. 
What NCE system are you using on the main layout? Mine is NEC Smart Booster with a stand alone programme track. 

The strange thing is that the Stay Alive will work on the programme track which is powered by a bog standard NCE starter set up but as soon as I put the two Deltics on the main layout the Stay Alive stops working, then back on the programme track and they start to work again. 

I’ve emailed AS about the voltage on my NCE Smart Booster (PU) which is 13.8V DC and their answer was….

Voltage perhaps a little low, but should still be ok (ESU's tend to like towards 16V).

I’ve been away on holiday since I last contacted them and not had chance to go up in the loft as I’d like to see what voltage is going into my programme track to compare, so at the moment I’m still at a loss as to why the Stay Alive doesn’t work. 

I’m unsure if there’s a quick & cheaper option (if any)  to upgrade my NCE Smart Booster voltage, as they work fine on the main layout without any issues but would like the Stay Alive to work as you’ve said. 

Stu

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

What NCE system are you using on the main layout? Mine is NEC Smart Booster with a stand alone programme track. 

The strange thing is that the Stay Alive will work on the programme track which is powered by a bog standard NCE starter set up but as soon as I put the two Deltics on the main layout the Stay Alive stops working, then back on the programme track and they start to work again. 

I’ve emailed AS about the voltage on my NCE Smart Booster (PU) which is 13.8V DC and their answer was….

Voltage perhaps a little low, but should still be ok (ESU's tend to like towards 16V).

I’ve been away on holiday since I last contacted them and not had chance to go up in the loft as I’d like to see what voltage is going into my programme track to compare, so at the moment I’m still at a loss as to why the Stay Alive doesn’t work. 

I’m unsure if there’s a quick & cheaper option (if any)  to upgrade my NCE Smart Booster voltage, as they work fine on the main layout without any issues but would like the Stay Alive to work as you’ve said. 

Stu

try checking the programming track voltage and then setting the main to the same?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Stu

Thanks for the reply Stu - Sound like I have the same set up as you - I've got the 5 amp booster thing for the layout and a separate programming track with the basic set up. Good idea testing the stay alive on the separate programming track - I'll try that (tonight depending on attic temperature!). My main layout runs at 15v nearest the connection to the booster dropping to 14.8 at the furthest point distant. I did read via a google search that NCE set ups can be unpredicatable with stay alives.

My neighbour is much more electronics savvy than me and has a homebuilt MERG(?) set up so it looks like a Deltic will be going on loan for trials on the Southern........

I'll report back anything useful :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Mike,

They're due in the warehouse tomorrow, took a bit longer than anticipated with the holiday season. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Hope they had a good holiday and now refreshed and ready to drive the Deltic. 

• Funny 4

Has anyone figured out how to get a 2 tone horn sound on ONE function key? I like the flexibility of having the two individual tones, but sometimes it’d be nice to have two tones on the same button……

• Agree 5

10 hours ago, philg said:

Has anyone figured out how to get a 2 tone horn sound on ONE function key? I like the flexibility of having the two individual tones, but sometimes it’d be nice to have two tones on the same button……

If I understand you correctly, operating both high and low tone horns isnt possible on the real thing so I’m not sure why you would do this with the model?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Wolf27 said:

If I understand you correctly, operating both high and low tone horns isnt possible on the real thing so I’m not sure why you would do this with the model?

because they are on separate functions, and those of us with latching function buttons have to turn one horn off before blowing the other. It is quite possible to sound both at the same time on the AS Deltic.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, metadyneman said:

Huge thank you to Accurascale for replacing my defective loco. It arrived yesterday and can be seen here with its first train on m y garden railway.

Excellent service all round.

St Paddy.jpg

A definite candidate for ‘realistic photos’ thread!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, metadyneman said:

Huge thank you to Accurascale for replacing my defective loco. It arrived yesterday and can be seen here with its first train on m y garden railway.

Excellent service all round.

St Paddy.jpg

Wow that image looks powerful.

any-chance a slight wider shot, the background looks very well fitting.