Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, ScRSG said:

Probably been asked before, but to help stop the usual ebay rip offs, is there any plan to do another run of Deltics?

No connection with AS except being a happy customer to a moral supplier...

Any way, I would expect more models to be announced but they have to be researched first, (unless an exact repeat of the last run but we have already been told that changes are to be made.. so this won't happen), and production must be assigned.

This, together with "marketing meetings"* will then decide what is to be produced and approximately when**.

Kev.

* Marketing = alcohol*** + guess work****.

** Can't wait!

*** Guinness!!

**** Actually, in this case, I don't think so.

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, McC said:

The chains will get ripped out if you run the loco without checking they are clear on the outside of the bogies. If they are hanging on the inside of the bogie when you set off, they can jam and pull out in the bends or points. HTH!

To be honest once I'd taken the body off to insert the driver I just took the chains off rather than the stress of trying to refit them. To me it does not distract and everything else is as it should be and it looks great.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

You can always trim and reglue the chains to the bogie side near to the original body mounted plate.  Works well, looks good, and still lets you remove the body whenever you need to.

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Haverail said:

To be honest once I'd taken the body off to insert the driver I just took the chains off rather than the stress of trying to refit them. To me it does not distract and everything else is as it should be and it looks great.

Yes, both mine are chainless and guard iron-less, plus a few other tiny bits. They still look much more like a Deltic than anything before and they have settled down to a normal life on the layout or the mantlepiece.

I’m looking forward to see how the 37 measures up, I suspect most or all of the minor niggles of the Deltic will have been addressed as Accurascale develop their products further.

In other news, I’ve had a chain on the new Bachmann 37 come off and foul behind the bogie. I managed to refit it, using experience gained from the AS Deltic, so there’s a chance the Deltic ones I still have may get refitted, but glued to the bogie frames rather than the body as per 55020’s post above.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, McC said:

The chains will get ripped out if you run the loco without checking they are clear on the outside of the bogies. If they are hanging on the inside of the bogie when you set off, they can jam and pull out in the bends or points. HTH!

You've got me - 'HTH'? 

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, McC said:

About 850g or so

I know you know better (!) but solely because I was just about to quote this months Railway Modeller  (I've started so I'll finish!) they weighed their examples at 816g DCC ready and 825g for sound fitted.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, thetrains said:

Is that the RM that's due out tomorrow? Had been wondering why they had not reviewed one yet.

Yes - paper copy came yesterday and the digital version is live today. I asked on FB why they were so late to review but no reply yet. 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Yes - paper copy came yesterday and the digital version is live today. I asked on FB why they were so late to review but no reply yet. 

We're going to try harder to get samples to our magazine friends much earlier in future. Any delays are on us.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 97406 said:

In other news, I’ve had a chain on the new Bachmann 37 come off and foul behind the bogie. I managed to refit it, using experience gained from the AS Deltic, so there’s a chance the Deltic ones I still have may get refitted, but glued to the bogie frames rather than the body as per 55020’s post above.

After refitting the chains on my Nimbus several times, they seem to be proud of the sides and get easily damaged when the model is on its side being otherwise fettled, I know now and am more careful.

But thinking about it do they really need to be genuine chains nowadays, plastic moulding can be so accurate and precise why not make them plastic and only affix to the bogie, the gap that would be required between chains end/lever would be so small as not to be noticed unless really looking, after all some people are just taking the chains off altogether.

Just a thought to prevent all the fiddlingheartache*.

* technical term

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Just a thought to prevent all the fiddlingheartache*.

* technical term

The Class 37 brake chains are finer, all metal, and affix from the bogie to the heavy die cast chassis. We've been kicking them around quite a bit to positive results, and are already retooling parts of the Deltic for a future run.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, McC said:

The Class 37 brake chains are finer, all metal, and affix from the bogie to the heavy die cast chassis. We've been kicking them around quite a bit to positive results, and are already retooling parts of the Deltic for a future run.

No need too kick them around, just send yourselves one in the post!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

5 hours ago, McC said:

Will the new Deltic chains be retrofittable to the existing models? Or is the 'recess' in the body side going to become part of the chassis on future runs meaning major hacking would be needed?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Will the new Deltic chains be retrofittable to the existing models? Or is the 'recess' in the body side going to become part of the chassis on future runs meaning major hacking would be needed?

We’ll have clarity once more testing is done. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, McC said:

We’ll have clarity once more testing is done. 

Do you have to wear "steel toe caps" during testing?

Kev.

;)

• Funny 1

On 09/08/2022 at 15:00, McC said:

Thanks McC but these chains were 'displaced' straight out of the box. I'll get the two models out of the box again tomorrow for a run and see if everything is still in place..

• Friendly/supportive 1

Good evening, here are a couple of pictures showing replacement Ultrascale 3' 7" disc wheels that have replaced the original P4 wheels showing differing ride heights at each end. The lower ride height will be lowered slightly again to close the gap between bogie frame and body tumble home and that will be the final ride position. The Locomotion DP1 model, which is also very heavy, is an abslute superb runner on its Penbits bogies and I was very encouraged to find that the Accurascale bogie is basically very similar to the well proven Bachmann EE type 3 & 5 bogies and immediately Penbits came into mind! 

DSCN2612.JPG

DSCN2631.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

So there we have it…

£139 for a body

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195265610259?hash=item2d76bcc213:g:QfMAAOSwFati6-YB

I think thats a new record for a diesel body, previously set by the Bachmann sealed beam class 45 a few years ago.

There are so many questions, like, where's the rest of it?😀