Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, philg said:

I’ve yet to see my two, but to be honest I’m really not sure how Accurascale have done what they’ve done for the price. Compare to someone else’s “all singing” class 47 at around another hundred quid!

Hats off to everyone at Accurascale Towers 

I couldn't help notice yesterday and raise an eye brow of a flyer for a Limby Class 67 from a well known box shifter. DCC ready £175. 😮

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I feel as if I've been reading a different forum.

Maybe I've missed some posts or have a selective memory but I don't see a thread full of people finding something to unnecessarily complain about.

Accurascale have set very high expectations. So far it seems they have very much lived up to them. But it's not unreasonable for people to comment about minor failings.

Small parts shouldn't come off and it's not unreasonable to mention it when they have - especially when people are asking where they go so they can stick them back on again. Likewise in my view it's quite reasonable to speculate as to whether this model might have gone too far in the quest for accurate detail.

Unless I've missed it nobody has said they'll demand their money back and never touch an Accurscale model again because theirs arrived with a minor paint blemish/chain missing/slightly wonky part.

In my potted first impressions review all I said was DHL a bit 'meh' (not Accurascales fault but shared for information) , a couple of the parts are too delicate (already acknowledged by Accurascale) and sound is subjective. Everything else about the model is market leading at least and the price is unbeatable .

It so happened that I took delivery of the new Bachmann 47 this week too - that was second hand but 'as new' - the only way to get one at the same price as Accurascale are charging for current and forthcoming releases. I will say - because its true - that this model runs equally as well as the Deltic, has a similar number of separate parts to fit and nothing has broken off despite me being the second owner and the packaging not being  as protective

I consider everything I have said, including the above paragraph , to be constructive and hopefully helpful to Accurascale in honing future products to meet the rigours of the UK market. This honing will of course need to factor in the practices of the various parcels delivery services. If a part can't withstand transit then maybe it should be supplied for user fitting or maybe the material used or the method of attachment should be revised. 

With the D9020 I have a snagging list that I am happy to work through, eagerly await my second Deltic and have 2 more loco's on pre order with Accurascale so far. Buying models on pre order is of course the only way of truly supporting Accurascale.

It frustrates me that some on here seem to have a secondary hobby that centres on stifling anyone elses view or description of their actual experience by characterising such as an 'attack' on the manufacturer. That couldnt be more wrong and, happily, isnt reflected in any of the comments or reactions from anyone at Accurascale. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Nimbus has arrived in Woburn Sands and started making friend with the locals.Nimbus.thumb.jpg.707ab34ca47f00ae0ef4cdd67f9dde16.jpg

It really is a very, very fine model.   Impressed with the packaging and box too.   TBH she really is too big for my current shunting plank but, well who cares?!  I haven't even tried to run her yet, but I'm happy  😁

Ralph

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I feel as if I've been reading a different forum.

Maybe I've missed some posts or have a selective memory but I don't see a thread full of people finding something to unnecessarily complain about.

Accurascale have set very high expectations. So far it seems they have very much lived up to them. But it's not unreasonable for people to comment about minor failings.

Small parts shouldn't come off and it's not unreasonable to mention it when they have - especially when people are asking where they go so they can stick them back on again. Likewise in my view it's quite reasonable to speculate as to whether this model might have gone too far in the quest for accurate detail.

Unless I've missed it nobody has said they'll demand their money back and never touch an Accurscale model again because theirs arrived with a minor paint blemish/chain missing/slightly wonky part.

Congrats on the best, most sensible and balanced post that I have read on this forum since the first deliveries arrived.

I think I can speak for everybody when I say Accurascale are a breath of fresh air to our hobby and put many of the legacy manufacturers to shame……. For a first loco model it is a tremendous achievement, but it also demonstrates the balance that needs to be achieved between detail, quality and durability……. Not sure the balance is perfect on this first model, but it is pretty close and I have every confidence that the decent and genuine chaps at Accurascale will take all the feedback on board and fine tune their many future offerings.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

Ballymoss arrived this morning safe and well and 45 early.  One bit adrift - the usual valve from under the tank.  I've put it in the supplied ziplock bag as honestly you can't see it unless you turn the loco over.

One point that I can't recall anyone mentioning.  The cab interior moulding seems to have the various radio gear moulded on it and it's quite visible through the windscreen.  Is this correct for in service engines, or should I be throwing a tantrum and starting a Youtube channel?

Looking forward to seeing her.  Shame my shunting plank is wired for one-engine-in-steam otherwise  we could have tried some Deltic racing!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

At last 7 of 9 are on the way, not sure what happened to my first order way back in Nov 2018 it has not made this cut apparently.

I chatted to “the bot” but it cannot find my order either…

IT still has its limits.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, adb968008 said:

At last 7 of 9 are on the way, not sure what happened to my first order way back in Nov 2018 it has not made this cut apparently.

7 of 9??  My goodness, if a Deltic has been assimilated into the Star Trek Borg, that can only increase their power.  Where's Zonta when we need him?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

One point that I can't recall anyone mentioning.  The cab interior moulding seems to have the various radio gear moulded on it and it's quite visible through the windscreen.  Is this correct for in service engines,

Joking aside, can anyone respond to this please?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Lambton58 said:

7 of 9??  My goodness, if a Deltic has been assimilated into the Star Trek Borg, that can only increase their power.  Where's Zonta when we need him?

I bought them for a demolition job, cheaper than buying a jcb.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Max Van Driver just screamed to an halt outside the house, his face was a picture when he had another identical package from the same supplier for my next door neighbour. Quick test run and all looks good and from my memory of these beasts departing Donny the sound is fine. Couple of the usual suspects off but no issue. Great job by great team, I wonder if others will follow the lead, I doubt it 🤷🏻‍♂️ We will never see a Warship to this specification 

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It did manage two bricks totalling 8.6kg, equivalent to 53 Mk1 coaches but the tension lock couplings couldn't hold out any longer.

Isn't a coupling failure how the class 59 "Megatrain" trial finished? 

• Agree 3

58 minutes ago, 40002 said:

So I'm still waiting for my Deltic's from Locomotion and Rails, I am slightly disturbed by reports of bits falling off and paint blemishes, and would rather have a slightly less detailed model without these issues so I guess will have to wait and see what my 2 are like and wondering if I should have gone for Bachmann Deltic's instead.

I’d take a few tiny bits of detail dropping off over a much less detailed, wrongly shaped locomotive any day! 
Each to their own I guess! 

I think people forget the journey these models have been on, hand assembled, shipped on the high seas in a metal box, transported to base, sorted and then shipped individually by courier! 
I understand people always want a perfect model but with these levels of detail previously only seen in 0 gauge or larger I think they’ve done extremely well. 

I also think people forget how amazing Accurascales customer care is, if you really are unhappy, one email / phone call and it’s sorted! Try that with one of the other manufacturers, I know I have and it takes days / weeks and I still ended up with a model that was worse than the original one I sent back!

Hats off to Accurascale on a fantastic model.

Looking forward to my locomotion models one arriving now! 😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

2 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Ballymoss arrived this morning safe and well and 45 early.  One bit adrift - the usual valve from under the tank.  I've put it in the supplied ziplock bag as honestly you can't see it unless you turn the loco over.

One point that I can't recall anyone mentioning.  The cab interior moulding seems to have the various radio gear moulded on it and it's quite visible through the windscreen.  Is this correct for in service engines, or should I be throwing a tantrum and starting a Youtube channel?

I think the box you are refering to is the ETH controls.

See here 55008 cab as recently restored at Barrow Hill

https://www.thedps.co.uk/blog/page/6

yes in modern times the cab radio has been mounted close by (unless this is also present on the AS cab moulding

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rikdom/2893278354

The problem with not refitting the missing part of the fuel system is that presumably the range of your model is reduced as some of the tank capacity is restricted :-p

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 40002 said:

So I'm still waiting for my Deltic's from Locomotion and Rails, I am slightly disturbed by reports of bits falling off and paint blemishes, and would rather have a slightly less detailed model without these issues so I guess will have to wait and see what my 2 are like and wondering if I should have gone for Bachmann Deltic's instead.

I mean you don't get those bits on a Bachmann deltic anyway. So an AS deltic with a few bits of detail off remains a better shape and more detailed model than you would have got with the Bachmann approximation of a 55.

Paint blemishes more of a problem (can't be fixed easily/at all). Parts dropped off fixable with a small amount of glue, if you want to re-attach them at all that is.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

In my potted first impressions review all I said was DHL a bit 'meh' (not Accurascales fault but shared for information) , a couple of the parts are too delicate (already acknowledged by Accurascale) and sound is subjective. Everything else about the model is market leading at least and the price is unbeatable .

It so happened that I took delivery of the new Bachmann 47 this week too - that was second hand but 'as new' - the only way to get one at the same price as Accurascale are charging for current and forthcoming releases. I will say - because its true - that this model runs equally as well as the Deltic, has a similar number of separate parts to fit and nothing has broken off despite me being the second owner and the packaging not being  as protective

I consider everything I have said, including the above paragraph , to be constructive and hopefully helpful to Accurascale in honing future products to meet the rigours of the UK market. This honing will of course need to factor in the practices of the various parcels delivery services. If a part can't withstand transit then maybe it should be supplied for user fitting or maybe the material used or the method of attachment should be revised. 

With the D9020 I have a snagging list that I am happy to work through, eagerly await my second Deltic and have 2 more loco's on pre order with Accurascale so far. Buying models on pre order is of course the only way of truly supporting Accurascale.

It frustrates me that some on here seem to have a secondary hobby that centres on stifling anyone elses view or description of their actual experience by characterising such as an 'attack' on the manufacturer. That couldnt be more wrong and, happily, isnt reflected in any of the comments or reactions from anyone at Accurascale. 

We often don’t know how we come across to others, and in this case this seems to be true as yours was the prime example I had in mind. Even just the length of the post immediately flags up the “hmmm, this guy likes the sound of his own voice alarm” ;-)

Seriously though, there is a slight pomposity to the tone. As middle aged educated men we are all at risk of taking ourselves far too seriously!

Edited by aureol40012
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

I know it’s probably not intentional but the tone of some of these user “reviews” (naming no names) seems a little sharp and/or condescending. It’s not even my product and yet even I feel like I’m being told off by a school teacher!

There are real and helpful people, not a faceless entity like Hornby. Perhaps ease off the judgement and stick to the facts?

Hornby is not a faceless entity - we know from their social media and other activities which the 'faces' are; they just choose not to engage on RMWeb.

You only have to look on this forum plus via their own customer support just how much time, effort and diplomacy the Accurascale guys have put into talking with their customers. It's great that they do, and in all honesty I'm not surprised that very few companies have the bandwidth, resources and resilience to keep up this level of engagement.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It did manage two bricks totalling 8.6kg, equivalent to 53 Mk1 coaches but the tension lock couplings couldn't hold out any longer.

@AY Mod,

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to call an unfair test!! As you can plainly see that the coupling height of the brick wagon is wrong and your not running it on carpet.

I would expect better from your self!!

Yours,

disgruntled Modeller

🤪🤪🤪😉😂

Ps That has to be the best youtube clip todate!!

Pps: There is now way you will be getting a warrenty claim if it breaks now 😂😂

Edited by Mr.S.corn78
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

11 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Hornby is not a faceless entity - we know from their social media and other activities which the 'faces' are; they just choose not to engage on RMWeb.

You only have to look on this forum plus via their own customer support just how much time, effort and diplomacy the Accurascale guys have put into talking with their customers. It's great that they do, and in all honesty I'm not surprised that very few companies have the bandwidth, resources and resilience to keep up this level of engagement.

I dare say it must be hard for them at times (heck even I've had a couple of whinges on here... which I have apologised for), but they are also enthusiasts, probably enjoy engaging for the most part, and have delivered a better product as a result (many hours of experts and less expert but well observed input equals a huge in-kind contribution ££££ or €€€€ at no cost to them, other than their own engagement time)

• Round of applause 1

Have now received St Paddy, Black Watch & Ballymoss, the last two with sound.

Sorry to disappoint but I've got nothing but praise for the product. No parts have fallen off any of my locos. All run as smooth as silk and the two with sound? well I'm not a sound expert of model locos by any stretch, but when i started the locos sound up... unbelievable. I was transported back to Kings Cross in the 70s/80s.   Even my daughter who works from home and was in the next room, rushed in and said 'what the hell is that racket??!!' kids aye.... 

Two Rails exclusives still to come and fingers crossed they arrive in the same beautiful condition as my first three. I'm actually really tempted to see next week what deltic leftovers there are, once you've dispatched all your pre-orders...

Anyway, Congratulations to all at A/S. So glad I joined the A/S party early, back in 2019! I knew there was something refreshing about you lot. You really have raised the bar.

Really excited for my ordered Class 92s & Class 37s. Now Class 31s... decisions decisions... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

49 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

So the coupling height is basically fine, and fully engaging, unlike a certain youtubers review... ho HUM

I like your Mk1 in use (quite literally) as a barrier vehicle presumably to prevent any wayward brick destroying your new Deltic!

Nice Vid!

• Agree 3

On 17/06/2022 at 17:19, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @rubber duck,

Thanks for the feedback. We have informed the warehouse crew on this one and they're upping their game in this area with deliveries from today.

Hi @amarr40,

That is correct. Buffer beam detail and nameplates are provided but user applied.

Cheers!

Fran 

Received mine today (Thursday 23rd) and the postal packaging was the same. Just two pieces of crumpled brown paper. Fortunately, the model itself is well-packaged in its own box.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Northmoor MPD said:

I’d take a few tiny bits of detail dropping off over a much less detailed, wrongly shaped locomotive any day! 
Each to their own I guess! 

I think people forget the journey these models have been on, hand assembled, shipped on the high seas in a metal box, transported to base, sorted and then shipped individually by courier! 
I understand people always want a perfect model but with these levels of detail previously only seen in 0 gauge or larger I think they’ve done extremely well. 

I also think people forget how amazing Accurascales customer care is, if you really are unhappy, one email / phone call and it’s sorted! Try that with one of the other manufacturers, I know I have and it takes days / weeks and I still ended up with a model that was worse than the original one I sent back!

Hats off to Accurascale on a fantastic model.

Looking forward to my locomotion models one arriving now! 😁

Last time I had a layout was in the 1990's with 2 Lima Deltic's and I'm currently buying models for a new layout I intend to setup when I move house next year. I do have a 2008 vintage Bachmann Deltic and while it may not be perfect to me its a vast improvement over the old Lima Deltic's and for me probably has the overall right balance between detail and robustness, the Accurascale Deltic does look to have great detail but may be a bit too delicate for my liking, as for the paint finish I won't accept blemishes and marks, I know in the days of Lima it was something of a lottery as to the quality of the paint job, but so far on the recent Bachmann stuff I have bought its been very good and wont accept anything less from Accurascale.