Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium

Just received 2 of my 4.

Both of them absolutely flawless  and in 100% complete condition!!

Congratulations to Accurascale on what is the finest 00 model Deltic to grace the model railway industry.

I tip my hat to you (if I wore one).😁

Now, about this Hoover..............

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

I couldn't resist the temptation to have a play, so I managed to get into the railway room and retrieve my old Bachmann Dynamis system (we have the builder in at present). Here's an admittedly very rubbish video, but at-least you can see it running on the rolling road. The only snag is the 20 function limit on the Dynamis.

I'm blown away. The last time I felt like this was when I was given my first ever DCC Sound loco as a present (37057) over 10 years ago.

I've received 3 of my 5 Deltics thus far and all appear to be perfectly intact, save for one set on nose end steps.

Well done team Accurascale, you've done yourselves proud in my book. Roll on the mighty 37s. 😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just spoken to Rails and unfortunately they have yet to receive their Class 55's from Accurascale, but they are hoping they will arrive with them tomorrow.  I'm not really that bothered as waiting a few more days, I can live with that.

Edited by jools1959
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

There has been a couple of comments about coupling height. To be honest we were a bit surprised, as we always put in the effort to set our pockets to correct NEM height. Anyway, we got the callipers out to make sure, and lo and behold, our NEM pocket is at 8.5 mm, which is recommended NEM height. 

896052586_image(39).png.baae109308b4d13e4fddbf706fe28db4.png

Andy's haulage test earlier shows it in line with other stock quite well.

Anyway, just thought we'd clear that up!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

So did Sams trains get a dud, or was it a means of ensuring his sponsors locos (hattons) stayed in top slot.... i wonder...

EDIT - 'I wonder' to be said in same conspiritorial tone that Sam uses when he is trying to offer a backhanded insult to a (non hattons) manufacturer :-p

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

There has been a couple of comments about coupling height. To be honest we were a bit surprised, as we always put in the effort to set our pockets to correct NEM height. Anyway, we got the callipers out to make sure, and lo and behold, our NEM pocket is at 8.5 mm, which is recommended NEM height. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Cheers Fran - I plan to fit KDs (sorry...) - which are even more sensitive to NEM height than TLs - so thanks for that...its also good to see its not too "floppy".......😉

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

896052586_image(39).png.baae109308b4d13e4fddbf706fe28db4.png

Cheers!

Fran 

Yes but not only the correct height but rather strong as well!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Cheers Fran - I plan to fit KDs (sorry...) - which are even more sensitive to NEM height than TLs - so thanks for that...its also good to see its not too "floppy".......😉

Chris

Me also, got back from Hospital and it was there waiting for me, opened the outer box all looks good……then had to run out on some urgent errands……just got back, and to be honest after today I am knackered so it’s staying in its AS box tonight for a grand opening tomorrow, yeah…..see?……made of strong stuff’ere 🤣

edit: my first draft has “waiting” auto corrected to “waving”, AS aren’t that good…….yet.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It did manage two bricks totalling 8.6kg, equivalent to 53 Mk1 coaches but the tension lock couplings couldn't hold out any longer.

Silly question on a silly test. You could look at pushing them if the tension lock coupling in tension is the deciding factor rather than the pure haulage capacity :P 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, E100 said:

You could look at pushing them if the tension lock coupling in tension is the deciding factor

It can be seen that the JNA couplings are rubbish, when pushed there was overriding evident before the wagons moved.

• Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

So did Sams trains get a dud, or was it a means of ensuring his sponsors locos (hattons) stayed in top slot.... i wonder...

EDIT - 'I wonder' to be said in same conspiritorial tone that Sam uses when he is trying to offer a backhanded insult to a (non hattons) manufacturer :-p

If you freeze the sam's trains video at 29:33 it appears the coupling is too high because the nem pocket itself is not horizontal with the rails. Hence the coupling is higher than the nem socket (and I presume the nem socket is the right height). Not clever enough to know if the non horizontal coupling is a user error or manufacturer error but hoping someone can comment... 

• Agree 1

I would be interested in observations with regard to fitting all the buffer-beam detail. Personally, I found it very fiddly as there are no location holes, merely recesses, thus they have to be glued in place. As these parts are the most vulnerable on the model, if they get damaged and need to be replaced (assuming these parts will be offered as spares), then it's going to be far more problematic than pulling out a damaged pipe and re-inserting a replacement.

5 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It did manage two bricks totalling 8.6kg, equivalent to 53 Mk1 coaches but the tension lock couplings couldn't hold out any longer.

My 55 has just managed a mixed rake of 23 coaches but stalled on the curved incline into the station. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh no! Bearing failure...

There I was running 17 in, doing a nice 90mph (the line speed is 75 past our house but don't tell anyone), when there was jolt and out came flying the skate I was using as a rolling road.

Delly didn't notice and carried on as if nothing had happened.

I safely reduced the speed to zero and shutdown. Minutes were spent locating a replacement and then set off again.

I'm happy to report that there was absolutely nothing wrong the 55017.

:)

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SHMD said:

I love the responsive control and the sound.

When she sets off, at very low speed, the engine notches up and there is a point just above crawl speed where something resonates inside the body.

At first, I thought something on my desk was resonating to the throb of the Loco!

I'm guessing that there isn't something loose inside but rather there are two components, near each other, that when resonating just manage to touch.

Once identified, I'm sure that a bit of tape/doublesided/glue will sort things

I have vibration sounds from both of my sound Deltics. Investigation has led me to find that the speakers are loose in both. The clip visible in the phot below had moved upwards allowing the speaker to move. I pressed it back down and the vibration improved - I am assuming the other end is similarly loose and still vibrating.

Accurascale support has informed me that the clips should be retained by screws which are not present on either of mine:

image.png.01ad9b0010ed6533e4478ff91d643344.png

I have asked to be sent some to fit - there are corresponding holes in the PCB.

Roy 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, kevlar47 said:

Anyone had to return theirs yet? My 55011 arrived today and gone back same day due to what sounds like a square wheel in one bogie… happy days, at least Accurascale are quick to respond to arrange returns….

I suspect that if anyone on here has had to return theirs and wished to share the news with the forum, they would have done so already.

• Funny 1

54 minutes ago, kevlar47 said:

Anyone had to return theirs yet? My 55011 arrived today and gone back same day due to what sounds like a square wheel in one bogie… happy days, at least Accurascale are quick to respond to arrange returns….

I will probably get massacred here but I have running issues with now both of my Deltics following the arrival of Nimbus today……… I believe the matter to be a layout / loco compatibility issue, as I have some 2nd radius curves on inclines, but in such instances the bogies snag’s the coupling mechanism when the bogie is not on the horizontal………. my Westerns, Hoovers and Peaks all seem to be able to live with it, so it is not entirely a big loco on tight curve situation.

Away from the layout I can get the bogie to snag on the coupling mechanism if the bogie is tilted, as it would be climbing an “acceptable” incline.

I have stripped off the chains, fuel tanks, body, buffer beams and finally the entire coupling mechanism and I am more than happy to report that Nimbus successfully flies around the layout like, well a thoroughbred racehorse .

I can live without one set of couplings, but not both and so I will need to gradually re-assemble and test to see where the snag occur’s, but I suspect the two raised lands immediately behind the coupling mechanism outer screws……. Hopefully filing or removing this might effect a cure for what is clearly a very marginal situation that the majority of users will not experience…….. however I will check and discuss with Accurascale before doing anything permanent.

I mention this for info purposes only and because prior to derailment there is typically a click like one might expect with a “square wheel”,  as mentioned in the post above.

regards, an Ardent Accurascale fan !

Edited by Hound Dog
  • Informative/Useful 6