KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

In a Marilyn Monroe lookalike sort of way?

Not really. Such ladies are trying to be someone they are not, while a GT3 in a fantasy livery is not pretending to be anything but a GT3 in a fantasy livery. 

• Round of applause 2

Received mine from Rails in original livery, but I rather like the BR green now I have seen it. Well it looks like a GT3, nice paint finish and grill details, lovely runner with nice response to the controller, better than both my Accurascale models.

DSCF3709(2).JPG.b873ed300280bfd4481088e6155affa4.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, bigherb said:

Received mine from Rails in original livery, but I rather like the BR green now I have seen it. Well it looks like a GT3, nice paint finish and grill details, lovely runner with nice response to the controller, better than both my Accurascale models.

I am interested in the features of this new batch. Has the daft lighting been corrected? In other words, are there only four white lights at the front, with the bottom two of the white lights on the original batch now red? Do the lights at the front, which should be red,  not illuminate when running forwards but do illuminate when in reverse? Can the rear lights be switched off and has the cab light been dimmed somewhat? In other respects, it’s a good model.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

My GT3 from the original batch has had the lighting cured.

I ripped it out. Much more prototypical.

That’s rather radical! 😁 I unplugged the rear lights. The two front lights which ought to be red seem to have a separate wire running to them, if I recall correctly, but it enters the same plug connecting to the PCB as the other front lights. The first disconnection is easily reversible but the second isn’t.

22 hours ago, bigherb said:

Took mine (after running in) to the club last night - in a location where GT3 was a regular visitor to the station and on-shed, and where many of the members remembered seeing it.*

Absolute show-stopper.

Edited by Helmdon
  • Round of applause 1

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I am interested in the features of this new batch. Has the daft lighting been corrected? In other words, are there only four white lights at the front, with the bottom two of the white lights on the original batch now red? Do the lights at the front, which should be red,  not illuminate when running forwards but do illuminate when in reverse? Can the rear lights be switched off and has the cab light been dimmed somewhat? In other respects, it’s a good model.

On analogue control. Four white lights at the front when running forward and two red tender lights. Two red lower front lights when running in reverse. No cab light on mine. I'll be disconnecting the white lights as I normally do anyway. I don't like white searchlights when they should be a yellow glow.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

29 minutes ago, bigherb said:

I don't like white searchlights when they should be a yellow glow.

Are folded-up /blanking options provided in the extras kit and could the lighting be knocked back a bit with a drop of translucent acrylic over the lenses?

1 hour ago, natterjack said:

Are folded-up /blanking options provided in the extras kit and could the lighting be knocked back a bit with a drop of translucent acrylic over the lenses?

They were provided with the original release although they needed black paint on the reverse for opacity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My GT3 from this third batch arrived with me in Canada today. I did not expect to like it so much.

It is still running in but is very good at slow speed already. It also sounds great. I have a North American Union Pacific Turbine model too, by Scaletrains and KRMs Turbine sounds really good compared to my memory of that one. I should do a side by side comparison.

In forwards, there are 4 white lights at the front and 2 red at the back.  In reverse these are all extinguished and the two lower lights at the front come on in red. There are instructions on how to alter the directional lighting if you want to.

The bogie guard irons are at the front. 

The tender has round buffers and the raised band in the centre of the springs.

I wish KR Models good luck with their next endeavours.

IMG_4125.jpg

Edited by Dominion
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

So they still can't get the lights right - despite being told!  But that's a minor things and they're not alone in getting it wrong.

Correct light as ae follows - head end when running nose first is appropriate discs/marker light according to the class of train being worked or light engine..

The tail light irrespective of direction of running when running light engine - a standard oil tail lamp.  The use of built in electric red lights as a tail llamp was prohibited

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

So they still can't get the lights right - despite being told!  But that's a minor things and they're not alone in getting it wrong.

Correct light as ae follows - head end when running nose first is appropriate discs/marker light according to the class of train being worked or light engine..

The tail light irrespective of direction of running when running light engine - a standard oil tail lamp.  The use of built in electric red lights as a tail llamp was prohibited

Can’t get it right or doing what they know a load of their customers will want? Make it like you described the prototype and they will be criticised for the lighting not working. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typos
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have the first issue of GT3 with a sound decoder and revised bogie added later. It looks, sounds and performs well, even though the lighting is a mess. The red tender lights can be unplugged easily and reconnected just as easily if desired. With the new version having the lighting problems sorted out, I’d be very happy with it. On the other hand, the Fell seems to be a bit of an unredeemable mess.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Different railways do things different ways. Several of my French HO railcars have an optional green light at the rear. This supplements the expected red(s) and tells station and level crossing etc staff that this is the last train of the day, and they may go indoors and put their feet up. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

There is a prototype  for lighting all wrong 😂

20230704_225319.jpg.d6b7b95461f207527a65a45de3376952.jpg

All the same, the models of those were outstanding in their day and they are still, in my humble opinion, as good as anything on the market (except that the cooling fans aren’t powered). It makes 00 doubly ridiculous but never mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The prototype ran only with a test train,I think on the LMR. Thus it would be interesting to know what the haulage capacity of this 4mm model is. Encouraging that KR have managed to sort out a glitch that occurred with the first batch of what seems an attractive and smooth performing model from the images posted here. Will they do likewise with the Fell ? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The prototype ran only with a test train,I think on the LMR. Thus it would be interesting to know what the haulage capacity of this 4mm model is. Encouraging that KR have managed to sort out a glitch that occurred with the first batch of what seems an attractive and smooth performing model from the images posted here. Will they do likewise with the Fell ? 

The GC was the initial test line; there were some tests on Shap, I believe; and the North Wales Coast line saw some runs.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Is that a model by a certain manufacturer that seems to get leds wrong on its locos?

Unless you mean General Motors.

Perhaps  this should be in the "When the prototype looks like  a  model" thread. 😀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

coming back to this after a month with the (original livery) model from the latest batch. Probably one of my best purchases of recent years. Yes it's not flawless - the arguments about sand boxes, lights, reversing gear, etc have all been done to death.

But...

• the standard of livery application is as good as anywhere else I've bought from (and better than the more recent Hornby attempts at e.g. BR green)
  • the motor and pick-ups are fantastic. It strolls round the 50-year old extensive club layout with any load it's given quietly, and utterly responsive to the controller, moving up and down through speeds and *very* good at a crawl
    • I mention pick-ups because some of the track, at over half a century old, is a bit 'dodgy' but the club is catering for everything from this, through kit-builds, to converted Dublo and first generation Tri-ang OO...

It could have been better, in some ways it might be a bit of a missed opportunity in RTR as I can't see anyone coming along to improve a rival version in a hurry but, it's very, very good.

If you're hesitant about buying one (but on the positive side of hesitant, I'm not trying to convince people who don't really want one) then I'd unreservedly buy it again. Lovely model.

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...