Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Mark 5, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JackB95 said:

Couldn't resist a typical scene after playing with them. 'Oh no, it's failed in service'. Good old Freightliner 😂 

IMG_20230127_173802.jpg.1ec6d1f72c75764be02dd5d679e26aa8.jpg

The 70s have been used to move ECS sets to / from store. Some nice shots with 37s 47s, 57s and 66s as well.

Another one.

https://flic.kr/p/2cVEz9k

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Aye, they've had all sorts produce on them! Even 86s! Huge scenes. 

The 70 worked a set from Crewe to Longsight I think? Everything is a prototype 😂 

FL shifted a fair few to/ from Longtown.

47830 5Z47 @ Carnforth 13/08/2019

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Andy7,

A four function decoder is required. 

It has depot mode which is markers only (though you will need to program this on a separate function), in service which is all of them, and tail lights only as per the real DTs.

Cheers!

Fran 

It gives you the DTs? Blimey, must have a bar car with real booze!

Not got my set yet, but I am looking forward to it arriving.

Someone said something about people cancelling preorders. I cancelled the first TPE pack a while back, as I wasn't sure I could afford it based on the arrival date back then, and also wasn't 100% on the finish based on the pre production sample pics.

Shortly before the production pics landed I preordered & paid for pack 2, given how good the sleepers looked.

So some people cancel & then change their mind on cancelling! 

With ref. To the magnetic coupling and people having varying success on varying layouts I imagine a balance has to be struck around magnetic strength. It's no good having a really strong magnetic coupling, if it is so strong it requires massive effort & force to uncouple it.

Make it too difficult to uncouple & you may as well have gone with a solid bar, or the dreaded tension lock.

Interested to see if anyone can make their own custom destination displays, or perhaps even working ones?

Also interested to see if anyone is willing & able to fit working door interlock lights?

In the meantime has anyone found a supplier for a DVT sound chip? Can't see a legomanbiffo one, yet. 

1 hour ago, CoBoLoco said:

Not got my set yet, but I am looking forward to it arriving.

Someone said something about people cancelling preorders. I cancelled the first TPE pack a while back, as I wasn't sure I could afford it based on the arrival date back then, and also wasn't 100% on the finish based on the pre production sample pics.

Shortly before the production pics landed I preordered & paid for pack 2, given how good the sleepers looked.

So some people cancel & then change their mind on cancelling! 

With ref. To the magnetic coupling and people having varying success on varying layouts I imagine a balance has to be struck around magnetic strength. It's no good having a really strong magnetic coupling, if it is so strong it requires massive effort & force to uncouple it.

Make it too difficult to uncouple & you may as well have gone with a solid bar, or the dreaded tension lock.

Interested to see if anyone can make their own custom destination displays, or perhaps even working ones?

Also interested to see if anyone is willing & able to fit working door interlock lights?

In the meantime has anyone found a supplier for a DVT sound chip? Can't see a legomanbiffo one, yet. 

Working destinations like these CoBo? 

image.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

10 hours ago, markw said:

No sign of any magnetic coupling for the loco in my set, so I had to make some myself.

The NEM socket on the 68 is not at the correct height so needed a step in the coupling.IMG_20230127_114819.jpg.7d38af805746a372490ce07b94cc9654.jpg

Mine was also missing the magnetic coupling. I borrowed a pair from the driving car and one of the standard class vehicles to try it out. It couples so close to the 68 that on a straight the buffers are touching and slightly depressed. On a 4th radius curve it causes a derailment. I then tried the Dellner magnetic coupler off the Caledonian sleepers and that is slightly better but still too short to avoid derailments. I’ve settled on the Bachmann bar coupler that looks like two hoses

Fitted my decoder with no issues, and love the lighting features. I decided to check the DT bogies as they didn't like my super elevation. I noticed the pick ups were very dirty, as were the contact pins. A quick cotton swap and IPA swipe did the trick. 

Just thought I'd mention it if anyone's having flickering light issues. 

IMG_20230128_102525.jpg.461c6da1472bd52d15cd8709a35bd304.jpg

Here's a picture of them going round my layout DT leading looking absolutely superb. 

IMG_20230128_103142.jpg.7acef7827359b88cde8ae06ea5fd47e4.jpg

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I've used a Hunt 'standard' length magnetic coupling between loco and the end coach, with no modification to the coupling.

Experienced no problems pulling or pushing !!

The gap between buffers on the straight is a little larger than I would like, but the cam mechanism on the 68 has so much slack that it pushes to the outside on curves, rather than holding firm, so any shorter couplings cause bufferlock issues.

Have to echo the praise for the coaches, they look and run superbly well !!

The touching corridor connections on straight track look fabulous !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, CoBoLoco said:

Ok, so I'm probably being dumb here, but what noises does a DVT make that an ordinary coach doesn't?

I'd been working on the assumption that an ordinary function decoder would do just to work the lighting.

(Waiting for my set, hopefully next week)

Edited by PeteB

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Ok, so I'm probably being dumb here, but what noises does a DVT make that an ordinary coach doesn't?

I'd been working on the assumption that an ordinary function decoder would do just to work the lighting.

(Waiting for my set, hopefully next week)

Horns, AWS?

Roy

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Cab noises like vigilance, AWS etc. Can doors too. Horns are a big one. They also make an air hissing noise when the brakes release/apply. They're fitted with sanders too. 

And the pedant in me will mention that they're DTs not DVTs 😉 no van in it. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

Cab noises like vigilance, AWS etc. Can doors too. Horns are a big one. They also make an air hissing noise when the brakes release/apply. They're fitted with sanders too. 

And the pedant in me will mention that they're DTs not DVTs 😉 no van in it. 

I stand corrected - DT it is! 😵

Yes, I see now, as you say, horns AWS etc, but for me, I'm not sure it is worth another £100 just to get those, and I'm not sure you can hear the AWS etc from outside as you watch the train go by anyway. So I'll probably pass and go for a function decoder to work the lighting, possibly a Paul Harman DIY decoder will do the job, a huge amount cheaper  - the money saved would pay for half of a 4 coach Caledonian Sleeper coach set if they become available again.

Edited by PeteB
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PeteB said:

I stand corrected - DT it is! 😵

Yes, I see now, as you say, horns AWS etc, but for me, I'm not sure it is worth another £100 just to get those, and I'm not sure you can hear the AWS etc from outside as you watch the train go by anyway. So I'll probably pass and go for a function decoder to work the lighting, possibly a Paul Harman DIY decoder will do the job, a huge amount cheaper  - the money saved would pay for half of a 4 coach Caledonian Sleeper coach set if they become available again.

Haha don't worry, most people call them DVTs 😉 

Yeah deffo not worth the sound chip price.

• RMweb Premium

Just trying out my TPE set and the Driving trailer is making an annoying buzz when on my track, using on dcc. The other thing is what ever direction I put the DT on the track only the white light are activated, so no red tail lights can be displayed. I can’t see anything in the notes with the sets. Will the lights only work correctly dcc with decoder fitted when running on dcc

Edited by 47007stratford

46 minutes ago, 47007stratford said:

Just trying out my TPE set and the Driving trailer is making an annoying buzz when on my track, using on dcc. The other thing is what ever direction I put the DT on the track only the white light are activated, so no red tail lights can be displayed. I can’t see anything in the notes with the sets. Will the lights only work correctly dcc with decoder fitted when running on dcc

Does it need a decoder in it?