Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

1 hour ago, Tony Cane said:

Hi Chris

Thanks for the response and the information on spares.

While I can see the attraction of doing the variation of a locomotive without rear sand boxes, this has been poorly implemented on the model. By just not fitting the sand box two holes are present in the frames and the head of a large screw in visible. Ideally a plug in overlay could have corrected this. But being realistic about this particular variant it is, I suspect, the least popular version. I am frankly surprised and delighted that a model in WD livery was produced. This and the superb model of Basra have already involved extra tooling for the much appreciated head lamps and conduit. Further tooling for better renditions of the missing sand boxes does not make economic sense. My intent is to get a more typical appearance by covering the un-prototypical features. I will fabricate a pair of sand boxes and create a more satisfactory model.

Regards

Tony Cane

I guess the alternative would have been to do it like all the others, with the sandboxes on, and leave it to the modeller to take them off if he wanted to. However, when you look at it from a manufacturer's (or in our case a commissioner's) viewpoint, there's always a desire to provide as many versions, variants and liveries as possible, as simply as possible. That's what makes the total run of models attractive to as many buyers as possible, and helps to ensure that they sell out - which is imperative these days. (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Might class 08 sandboxes be available elsewhere ?

Hi

Thanks for this suggestion. Bachmann UK spares have them for 50p each and they look like they are the same shape and size.

• Like 2

On 17/08/2023 at 09:06, NHY 581 said:

I agree.

I'm interested in a few examples of both Class 11 and Class 12 but I'm not commiting to any until I know they run well and have been assembled properly, something which has proved tricky for Heljan to accomplish with the PWMs. 

Rob. 

So, have the running issues with the PWMs been repeated with the class 11s; or are these latest models good, reliable, runners?

4 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

So, have the running issues with the PWMs been repeated with the class 11s; or are these latest models good, reliable, runners?

If you look through the previous couple of pages , you'll see the reaction is overwhelmingly positive .

Unlike the PWMs , the class 11 have lights , have no body fit issues and run as sweet as a nut .

Obviously made in a different factory

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have one which was fitted with Digitrains Sound after a period of successful running in. I will bring it to SWAG on Sunday and can give it a run out on Cropper Street if desired...

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I have one which was fitted with Digitrains Sound after a period of successful running in. I will bring it to SWAG on Sunday and can give it a run out on Cropper Street if desired...

Chris H

That would be good to see and hear, Chris. 

Thanks. 

Rob. 

If anyone here is going to the MODEL RAIL LIVE exhibition this weekend, could you please ask the Model Rail people if they have confirmed that they will be producing the Class 12 versions.

Thank-you,

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Read their comments in MR 324 (April)!

Which states "Coming soon - expected late 2024"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhydgaled said:

For what it’s worth, my Class 11 is a beautiful runner. Like the PWM, it has a cab light but no exterior lights. Some do, so check before buying if running lights are important to you. My second PWM is also a good runner but the first was a dog. Unfortunately, it is missing one sandbox. I haven’t summoned up the courage to send it back for fear that I’ll get another dog.

On 26/04/2024 at 12:45, No Decorum said:

For what it’s worth, my Class 11 is a beautiful runner. Like the PWM, it has a cab light but no exterior lights. Some do, so check before buying if running lights are important to you. My second PWM is also a good runner but the first was a dog. Unfortunately, it is missing one sandbox. I haven’t summoned up the courage to send it back for fear that I’ll get another dog.

We'll need to find out, "Who Let The Dogs Out?", 🤔

Neil.

• Funny 2