Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

This is from Roads and Rails...from their DCC sound installation

I thought I was finished but all the lights came on together, I like them to be directional so that I can easily see which way the model is gonna move, so I looked at the PCB and noticed that there was a green wire bridging two components, which looked like a bit of an after thought, so i took it off, and it made the lights directional, but backwards! So I have reversed the light outputs in the function mapping and it works now, any decoders you buy from us will already have this change made.

Chris

They should not be directional they were on at both ends as described above by SRman

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SRman said:

For shunting the usual lighting set up was to have one red and one white light showing at each end, permanently set while the shunting moves were taking place. It saved changing lights every time the locomotive was reversed during the manoeuvres.

To that end, on DCC, I have set both my Heljan class 07 diesels to have the lights permanently on at both ends with F0 on, rather than being directional.

IMG20210118163031.jpg.289599e684248176675d9ae8c9ee184b.jpg

9 hours ago, Phatbob said:

Rob,
This is entirely correct.  A locomotive engaged in shunting should show a red light and white light at both ends.  A through back to the days of oil lamps when it was impractical to change the lamps every time the shunting locomotive changed direction.
If you altered this you'd be introducing an error!
HTH

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

They should not be directional they were on at both ends as described above by SRman

Morning all and thank you for the clarity. 

Drama ( minor ) suitably averted. 

Rob 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LittleRedTrain said:

My LMS 7128 arrived yesterday and I finally got a chance to test it today.
In both directions it shows a central bright red and white light at the cab end, and a bright white and a very dim red (looks more like light-bleed) at the nose end. Hoping that's intentional and my nose-end red light isn't broken.

I've now had both 7128 and 7120 open for DCC fitting (just popped in Hattons decoders I got cheap in the great sell-off!).

On 7128 the red and white lights are driven together via light-pipes from a single LED in each end of the chassis, pointing upwards through a slot. Therefore there's no way to control the red and white independently (but this sounds like it's correct anyway from what other posters have said).

The red lamp at the nose end is actually working but either there's some crud in the way or the alignment is not 100% which is why it's dimmer than that at the cab end. I suspect this is  probably more authentic than the bright white light anyway!

On 7120, the slots are in place in the chassis for the lighting LEDs, but no LEDs are actually fitted.

One thing to take note of when re-fitting the bodies is making sure the ladders at the nose end go back in the appropriate holes on the chassis, a little bit fiddly!

Also had to re-map the functions on the decoder so the cab light is on F1 rather than F2 (as F2 is non-latching on my Prodigy DCC system).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Not much to do to mine, I'm converting it to green/wasp 12134 of Cambridge, but I hit a problem in finding suitable number transfers. Suggestions are welcome please.

Railtec/Fox/HMRS/ModelMaster/Woodhead/SMS.

Mike.

Well my plain green loco has arrived and runs well on an imperium decoder. Slightly stutters over a couple of my less than perfectly laid points but its still running in so could well improve.

However, one area of concern is according to the manual there is only 6 months warranty. Upon checking the manual for my recently purcahsed Class 33 that too only has 6 months warranty.

So are Heljan now only offering 6 months warranty?

EDIT :

It seems 6 months is correct. From the Heljan website

Q: What is the warranty period on Heljan models?  

A: All Heljan models have a standard warranty period of six months from the date of purchase. Should you experience any problems with your model, please return it to the retailer from which it was purchased for exchange or a refund. 

Edited by meatloaf
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

247 Developments have plates for both 15101 & 15104

Any plans for 15106, Brian ? 

Rob

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Nice to know that they have such confidence in their products!

CJI.

That was my first thoughts tbh. Imagine paying £600+ for an O scale 73 only for it to die 7 months later

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2024 at 19:02, meatloaf said:

That was my first thoughts tbh. Imagine paying £600+ for an O scale 73 only for it to die 7 months later

You're covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for 6 years, regardless of the claimed warranty length.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nick C said:

You're covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for 6 years, regardless of the claimed warranty length.

Though Heljan are sending out a strange message when Accurascale for example are offering 'lifetime'. Its certainly made me think twice about this £170 shunter (which would be replacing a 2013 Hornby version which has suffered the crank shifting on the wheel),  - problems are not unknown in the hobby and 6 mths isnt long for things to go wrong in especially with a loco that won't get much continuous loop running

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nick C said:

Not that simple, after the first 6 months you generally need to prove the issue existed at the time of purchase.

• Agree 4

7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Though Heljan are sending out a strange message when Accurascale for example are offering 'lifetime'. Its certainly made me think twice about this £170 shunter (which would be replacing a 2013 Hornby version which has suffered the crank shifting on the wheel),  - problems are not unknown in the hobby and 6 mths isnt long for things to go wrong in especially with a loco that won't get much continuous loop running

I've a few first issue HJ 47's which must be around 20 years old now, and a fair few 26/27's (and a Clayton) and I've never had a single issue with any of them.    My 47's haven't run on a layout in probably 10 years or so, they run like a sewing machine when I give them a yearly service - so much so that the service isn't really needed but I do it anyway.

HJ drive trains are bombproof.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Kaput said:

Not that simple, after the first 6 months you generally need to prove the issue existed at the time of purchase.

I don’t think that is correct. Under the consumer right act, goods must be fit to or purpose. If you can prove that the goods failed within a period that it is reasonably expected to last, then you have a case, whether it was ok at the time of purchase, or not. 

I had the electric window mechanism that failed on a car replaced after five years and 47,000 miles, well beyond the two year warranty, making the case that it should not have gone wrong that early. The dealer wasn’t interested, but finding other people with the same issue and getting Renault UK (yes, I learned the error if my ways) involved resolved it quite quickly. 

Roy

• Like 3

My BR(W) model has just arrived and I am about to buy a sound decoder.  It set me wondering if such a machine would have been fitted with Western whistles or to have ones common with the LMS versions.  I suspect that Swindon would have fitted their own whistles and not introduce a 'foreign' sound.  Any suggestions?

Latest Model Rail (no.323 March 2024) has an "Overview" rather than "Review which coupled togteher with the how to open it up parts of an article on detailing it is akin to a review bar any ratings. Regarding BR blue 12052 its states "Sold to Derek Crouch Mining Co - see MR-514"; that I make to be a 2038 issue!

• Funny 2