Model Rail / Heljan Class 11 0-6-0DE

Hippo

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Zunnan said:

According to my uncles spotting notes, two were transferred away 7126 and 7127 (12039 and 12040) in 66 but broken at Great Bridge during late 69/early 70. The rest of the original Saltley LMS allocation languished there until August 68 with 7128 (12041) to Swindon and 7129 (12042) to Newport, 7130 (12043) and 7131 (12044) went to Great Bridge to be scrapped during 69.

Very nice ! Thank you. I don’t have any notes so that is good gen 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, ovbulleid said:

Does anyone know if Kernow will be selling these from their stand at Ally Pally? I’m quite keen to pick one up but if I can see it first and save on postage then all the better! 

Kernow will probably know. Give them a ring. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

On 28/02/2024 at 14:54, PenrithBeacon said:

Still not convince about actually buying this model, I've got so many Bachmann 08/09 in stock. Annoying.

Anyway, I have bought one after all that fussing about. It's the post war LMS example and it arrive yesterday. Looks good!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Anyway, I have bought one after all that fussing about. It's the post war LMS example and it arrive yesterday. Looks good!

Had mine running on my end to end layout , it runs beautifully. 

Cab light a bit bright but I'm sure there will be a CV  for it that can adjusted when it's digitised .

• Like 2

My 12100 in waspy green turned up today after my hivvering and hovvering over buying one. 

Looks blummin beautiful and is probably going to be renumbered 12056 with 3C shedplates. 

Nice work Model Rail team and Heljan

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, there is a Flickr photo of the only surviving Class 12 15224 in 1960 that was posted 3 days ago. It’s a B&W photo and I can’t tell if it is in Black or Green livery with an early crest. Can you tell which? 

53602404434_e720a9e125_b.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, there is a Flickr photo of the only surviving Class 12 15224 in 1960 that was posted 3 days ago. It’s a B&W photo and I can’t tell if it is in Black or Green livery with an early crest. Can you tell which? 

53602404434_e720a9e125_b.jpg

I may well be wrong  but I've never seen a green loco with that crest , always black .

So I would say its likely to be black

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Albie the plumber said:

I may well be wrong  but I've never seen a green loco with that crest , always black .

Not sure that I could agree with that at all - but early EE shunter liveries are not my speciality!

Someone more well informed will no doubt put us both right.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

Just looking at the Model Rail exclusives page in Issue 324 and one of the Class 12 versions (MR-521)is actually of 15224 in green with that early emblem ... so Model Rail think that they appeared like that, a black / early emblem model is also on the cards. Sorry, that doesn't really help you with this particular photo.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

According to John Harvey in Southern Style "... about this time (12/56) Unlined BR Locomotive Green rather than Black was introduced as the new standard colour for shunters. Then in spring 1957 came the second BR Demi-lion Emblem ..." ........ so a green shunter with early emblem would be carrying a paint job from that brief period about 3 years before the April '60 photo : does it look that fresh ??!?

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/02/2024 at 14:25, Tony Cane said:

You may wish to hold off on ordering one in the WD green as I think there is a minor issue with this version. I have made inquires at Model Rail via Kernow but have not had a reply yet. My model, the picture on the Model Rail web site and even the box art do not have any rear sand boxes. The box art even shows  the screw head revealed by the omission.  This will be a simple fix by providing a couple of boxes which just plug in

I have been asked to confirm that the the WD model is correct. The locomotive in question did not have rear sandboxes. (CJL)

On 15/04/2024 at 17:48, VIA185 said:
On 13/02/2024 at 14:25, Tony Cane said:

You may wish to hold off on ordering one in the WD green as I think there is a minor issue with this version. I have made inquires at Model Rail via Kernow but have not had a reply yet. My model, the picture on the Model Rail web site and even the box art do not have any rear sand boxes. The box art even shows  the screw head revealed by the omission.  This will be a simple fix by providing a couple of boxes which just plug in

I have been asked to confirm that the the WD model is correct. The locomotive in question did not have rear sandboxes. (CJL)

Hi Chris

Thanks for the response.

I believe that I have sufficient evidence to refute that statement.

The RCTS history on these locomotives has pictures of ex70273 running as DSB6 in Denmark, in 1965,and ex70272 as AD601 at Bicester in 1979, both with rear sand boxes. The locomotive Basra was, before renumbering and naming number 70270, and correctly modelled with rear sand boxes. As to 70271, this was an unlucky locomotive. It was involved in a fatal head on collision on the Longmoor Military Railway in 1956. While it should have been renumbered by then no number was actually carried. Photographs of the aftermath of the accident show that rear sand boxes were fitted.

What I would like is for it to be possible to obtain a pair of rear sand boxes, preferably in the correct colour, as spare parts, so this omission can be corrected.

22 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

Hi Chris

Thanks for the response.

I believe that I have sufficient evidence to refute that statement.

The RCTS history on these locomotives has pictures of ex70273 running as DSB6 in Denmark, in 1965,and ex70272 as AD601 at Bicester in 1979, both with rear sand boxes. The locomotive Basra was, before renumbering and naming number 70270, and correctly modelled with rear sand boxes. As to 70271, this was an unlucky locomotive. It was involved in a fatal head on collision on the Longmoor Military Railway in 1956. While it should have been renumbered by then no number was actually carried. Photographs of the aftermath of the accident show that rear sand boxes were fitted.

What I would like is for it to be possible to obtain a pair of rear sand boxes, preferably in the correct colour, as spare parts, so this omission can be corrected.

Hi Tony. I'm not personally familiar with these locomotives or their history, but it looks like it did at some point and didn't at some other point and that we've modelled it at the point when it didn't. We research these things pretty thoroughly and though we aren't infallible, we do usually have photographic evidence where detail differences are concerned. I'm afraid we don't carry any spare parts. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/04/2024 at 17:40, VIA185 said:

Hi Tony. I'm not personally familiar with these locomotives or their history, but it looks like it did at some point and didn't at some other point and that we've modelled it at the point when it didn't. We research these things pretty thoroughly and though we aren't infallible, we do usually have photographic evidence where detail differences are concerned. I'm afraid we don't carry any spare parts. (CJL)

Hi Chris

Thanks for the response and the information on spares.

While I can see the attraction of doing the variation of a locomotive without rear sand boxes, this has been poorly implemented on the model. By just not fitting the sand box two holes are present in the frames and the head of a large screw in visible. Ideally a plug in overlay could have corrected this. But being realistic about this particular variant it is, I suspect, the least popular version. I am frankly surprised and delighted that a model in WD livery was produced. This and the superb model of Basra have already involved extra tooling for the much appreciated head lamps and conduit. Further tooling for better renditions of the missing sand boxes does not make economic sense. My intent is to get a more typical appearance by covering the un-prototypical features. I will fabricate a pair of sand boxes and create a more satisfactory model.

Regards

Tony Cane