Michael Edge's workbench

6 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Correct about the L&Y, will be No.14 in EM gauge.

Way out with the diesels but that NBL 0-8-0 is very interesting - any more info about it? 

Didn't something similar run on the 4'-0'' gauge Tharsis Railway in Spain; (same area as the Rio Tinto)?

I had a guided tour of the Tharsis Railway back in the 1970s - plenty of North British locos in evidence. (The Tharsis Railway and mines were Glasgow-owned).

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Correct about the L&Y, will be No.14 in EM gauge.

Way out with the diesels but that NBL 0-8-0 is very interesting - any more info about it? 

1487480302_Taz-PVH.jpg.5de70a40f1757ffe55dfe9a0b6b8d86c.jpg

1953 built, to 3ft 6in gauge. There are other photos on the web, just search 'Emu Bay Railway'. It had a few mods over time including extra windows in the cab rear, I think. The cab looks similar to one of your BR kits.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Curlew said:

1487480302_Taz-PVH.jpg.5de70a40f1757ffe55dfe9a0b6b8d86c.jpg

1953 built, to 3ft 6in gauge. There are other photos on the web, just search 'Emu Bay Railway'. It had a few mods over time including extra windows in the cab rear, I think. The cab looks similar to one of your BR kits.

Thanks for that, it’s in the same style as the BR D2700, I knew there was an 0-6-0 in this style but not about an 0-8-0.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Is that a Sentinel 0-8-0 lurking at the back?

Yes, I’ve finally made a start on this test etch, this is the long wheelbase version as built for Normanby Park. A slight complication with this variety is that they seem to have been run without the centre portion of the coupling rods so it will need two motors. I do have a photo of one at Kilnhurst with all axles coupled though. I was intending to do the better known short wheelbase version first (Ebbw Vale, Moor Green colliery and MoD) but the test etch didn’t have short footplate.

• Like 5

On 08/01/2023 at 13:06, Michael Edge said:

This month's test track photo shows a bit less than usual but some new work.

527329547_testtrack06-01-23.jpg.bbdf17ad98d263d8e0524abc4814949b.jpg

The N2 is still here, waiting for the customer to collect it, the SR 0-6-0DE is substantially finished now but still waiting for sandbox patterns to be made. In between some kit development and the next job - no prizes but does anyone know what they are yet?

Is that a Steelman chassis on the back row? I can't remember if you have mentioned if before, Mike, but can we see some more of the drive arrangement and is that something that you will be including in the kit?

Edited by Ruston

• RMweb Premium

The Steelman is on an etched version of the Bullant drive which was designed for this kit but is no longer available. We have been supplying this etch with the Steelman recently but the kit is currently out of stock.

I’ll put some pictures on tomorrow - I think I’ve posted them before but they have probably been lost.

• RMweb Premium

Photos of the Steelman frame, I think I've put these on before but they have probably been lost.

IMG_0721.jpg.32b745055f2a99433b1b53291b609f30.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg.c55ddeb51099cc8ff44a70347fbcaddc.jpg

The etch reproduces the Bullant including its fixing system and uses .5 module plastic gears. The motor needs to be quite short to fit in the Steelman engine casing, this is the small square motor. This  etch has been included in the most recent kits we have supplied not including motor/gears/wheels.

1001985363_replacementBullanttest.jpg.c5284bdf1d76124ac6fec782e24aebd4.jpg

This is an earlier test with a cheap Chinese motor which later failed, both had more than enough power but do run rather quickly (as does the Bullant).

We have also supplied this compensated frame, although with no suggestions as to how to power it. I had to build the loco this far to make sure it fitted, it's out on the test track because I thought I might as well finish it now.

1451134379_compensatedframe.jpg.3116090324d6ffc256d93d29d7dfc36b.jpg

This is a reduction of a 7mm etch for this loco which I've not got round to building yet. In 7mm it's easy to couple the axles with delrin chain but it's a very tight squeeze to do it in 00.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Another EM1 on the way.

IMG_1854.jpg.2232044d039c03458bc247233ae9da0b.jpg

This will be much the same as the black one behind, bogie etch as before but linked with 1/16" pcb this time. As before this will be fitted in the centre part of a resin moulded body but with the etched cabs added. Mitsumi motors, Gibson wheels and .5 module worm gears, no compensation this time for comparison with 26001. The green one at left is the whole resin body on these bogies and has DS10 motors with Romford 20:1 gears.

I bought two of these moulded bodies for £5 each thinking that it might be a quick way to get more EM1s but I'm not going to do any more, I think building the test etch body will be quicker. Just opening out the bodyside windows takes long enough!

This is the sum total of EM1s available for Wentworth Junction, there's also 26510 and an EM2 but to replace all the steam locos currently on the layout will take another 12 EM1s......

If only somebody brought out an etched kit!

Mike.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Another EM1 on the way.

IMG_1854.jpg.2232044d039c03458bc247233ae9da0b.jpg

This will be much the same as the black one behind, bogie etch as before but linked with 1/16" pcb this time. As before this will be fitted in the centre part of a resin moulded body but with the etched cabs added. Mitsumi motors, Gibson wheels and .5 module worm gears, no compensation this time for comparison with 26001. The green one at left is the whole resin body on these bogies and has DS10 motors with Romford 20:1 gears.

I bought two of these moulded bodies for £5 each thinking that it might be a quick way to get more EM1s but I'm not going to do any more, I think building the test etch body will be quicker. Just opening out the bodyside windows takes long enough!

This is the sum total of EM1s available for Wentworth Junction, there's also 26510 and an EM2 but to replace all the steam locos currently on the layout will take another 12 EM1s......

Mike

I used a milling machine to open out the body side windows. It was a lot quicker and you get consistent openings. 

John

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, John76 said:

Mike

I used a milling machine to open out the body side windows. It was a lot quicker and you get consistent openings. 

John

I drilled a hole in each corner, then cut deep into the sides with a scalpel before milling a slot across and breaking the bits out. I have seen some of these, possibly sold by Silver Fox, with the side windows just painted black.... It's not very easy to glaze these windows now either, especially with ledges fitted inside the body to bolt the pcb to.

Anyway, definitely no more, next one will be all etched apart from the cab roofs which will remain resin mouldings.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The test track is getting back to its normal crowded state.

1320550889_testtrackFebruary2023.jpg.787fa680c36dabc0baba23604efcd3df.jpg

The 7mm N2 is still here awaiting collection but I've done quite a bit on the Barry 0-8-2T - now the boiler is on it's downhill all the way. EM1s still clogging the place up but I'll get 26013 finished as soon as I get some buffers for it.

Next up two of Robert Thompson's dirt cans (very nice kit) followed by another diesel shunter (anyone any idea what this one is? - prototype and scale?) and the previously identified L&Y 0-4-4T. The last one should be finished next week, work had stopped while I waited for a Roadrunner+ gearbox, the motor/gearbox I had lined up for it wouldn't fit in the boiler.

• Like 9