'Genesis' 4 & 6 wheel coaches in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Fair enough - but only GWR modellers?

No, a few others as well. See the link in this post:

As others are delivered more may cancel, there is no charge for pre-ordering.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

Well you'd like to think Hattons knew how many they had ordered to be made, and then closed the pre-order books for each model as it became 'sold out', rather than just continue taking orders they knew they could not fulfil. But there does appear to have been a bit of a c**k up numbers-wise somewhere along the line.

Many of the variants were shown as "sold out on pre order" well before the GWR ones arrived in the UK.

Thats shows Hattons did not blindly just keep accumulating orders which they knew they could not fullfill.

Presumably it was only once Hattons were notified that X number of models were on the way to the UK that they realised they were facing a shortfall and had to start cancelling orders.

Now I'm not defending the cock up per say - a manufacturer should have processes in place to ensure the orders taken matches that of the product being produced but at the same time is not fair to insinuate there was some sort of deliberate policy to continue taking orders which could not be fullfilled

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

If I want to do a branchline I really need a set, now will someone do a Metro Tank please.

Me too! I particularly want a Large Metro - my great grandfather used to drive them on suburban trains out of Paddington, while shedded at Southall.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

will someone do a Metro Tank please.

I've got a kit that I need to start work on (SE Finecast),really ought to get the 633 tank finished & the 850 Saddle tank done as well.

I've been towing my first 4 GWR coaches behind a suitably Edwardian liveried City class 4-4-0

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I've got a kit that I need to start work on (SE Finecast),really ought to get the 633 tank finished & the 850 Saddle tank done as well.

I've been towing my first 4 GWR coaches behind a suitably Edwardian liveried City class 4-4-0

I'm meant to be rebuilding my N layout, but now I am planning a GW branch for these coaches - got the OO plan sorted this evening.

I need to get a shift on with my N track laying so I can move on to purchasing the boards and track for OO - gonna use Bullhead this time.

Trying not to really buy any more OO, I've more than enough though a steam railmotor might be a Xmas gift perhaps.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, kevfisher said:

Great new for the unlucky one amongst us with cancelled orders.
Seems like there are a few Hattons cancelled pre-orders off their own that are being released on to the website.

(We have had a number of cancellations for these items and a small number of coaches will be released onto sale via our website later today.)
https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/siteresults?search/q/genesis/sub-types/4 and 6 wheel Genesis coaches/liveries/GWR chocolate and cream%2CBR blue and grey%2CBR departmental olive%2CBR black with British Railways lettering%2CBR gulf red%2CSR olive green/stockstatus/InStock

Still plenty of GWR and a few others.

Best of luck

Kevin Fisher

thanks Kevin, this was a v welcome find after a v frustrating day! My order was cancelled completely on grounds of an old card (I ordered set of 5 in October 2019);  no emails or notification the coaches had arrived, just flat cancellation. Call to customer services simply said they had no stocks - and even though I’d been among first to order, it was just pretty much ‘tough’. I might get better luck with the LNWR ones…

And then this eve, all those apparently out of stock coaches back up on Hattons website at a much higher £ than originally….! I have ordered some anew, but how do you go about claim ‘original price for cancellations’’? I put my old order number in the notes, but still had to pay full whack. 

The wider thing that bothers me though, is how disposable Hattons pre-orders seem to now be. What’s the point in committing to a model you really want 3-4 years in advance, if they just ignore your pre-order on delivery / don’t even make contact?! Does anybody have insight into whether they consider ‘customer service’ standards - or is it just all at random? 

good luck - hope you enjoy yours! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 minutes ago, craigowen1976 said:

thanks Kevin, this was a v welcome find after a v frustrating day! My order was cancelled completely on grounds of an old card (I ordered set of 5 in October 2019);  no emails or notification the coaches had arrived, just flat cancellation......................................

Prior arrival of the coaches Hattons had a message on their website and still current in the company news section to the right of the screen,  stating a site payment update (20/6/2022), basically that you may need to update your card for payment details on pre0rders.  Is it Hattons fault that you still had old card details on your personal details?  Instead of moaning at Hattons perhaps ensure that your credit/debit card details are up to date.  If you had of updated your details then no doubt your order may not have been cancelled.

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info

5 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Prior arrival of the coaches Hattons had a message on their website and still current in the company news section to the right of the screen,  stating a site payment update (20/6/2022), basically that you may need to update your card for payment details on pre0rders.  Is it Hattons fault that you still had old card details on your personal details?  Instead of moaning at Hattons perhaps ensure that your credit/debit card details are up to date.  If you had of updated your details then no doubt your order may not have been cancelled.

Thanks for the tip, just updated my details, all this talk of GWR, makes me even more keen on receiving my SECR ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Coppercap said:

Well you'd like to think Hattons knew how many they had ordered to be made, and then closed the pre-order books for each model as it became 'sold out', rather than just continue taking orders they knew they could not fulfil. But there does appear to have been a bit of a c**k up numbers-wise somewhere along the line.

My thought was more that part of the consignment had perhaps got separated en-route and might have been considered lost in transit, only to turn up after touring various container ports!

Anyhow, I now have a BR black Tool Van snug in my trunk. I don't need the lights, but it's not like I had to fork out the extra on a whole rake....  😃🐇

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One interesting thing is that usually, when something like this gets sold out, and is still really popular and in demand (eg Hornby QE2 loco in purple), examples appear on eBay, often at highly inflated prices.

But unless I'm missing something, I cant see any Hattons Genesis coaches on there. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, JohnR said:

One interesting thing is that usually, when something like this gets sold out, and is still really popular and in demand (eg Hornby QE2 loco in purple), examples appear on eBay, often at highly inflated prices.

But unless I'm missing something, I cant see any Hattons Genesis coaches on there. 

There was a rake of six lit coaches on there last week - sold for £328. I bet the buyer is kicking themself now...

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, JohnR said:

I guess we just want to keep them all for ourselves. Much better than making more money to buy coaches with !!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

One of the ironies is that I did update my card details when I placed an order back in July; I’d assumed they were for my account as a whole, rather than just that order. I’ve received several other orders from them this year with no problem. Now you’ve explained the message from 20/06 I can see there’s one there, albeit deeply buried (for phone users it’s the 24th item down the screen). I’m not sure how realistic it is to expect customers to go rooting around every website they ever shop on just in case that company don’t actually communicate when your orders have arrived…!

I just would have expected a bit of decency to customers who were committed enough to get their orders in 3 years ago; rather than just simply cancelling the order without so much as a phone call, or any ‘your item has now arrived’ type email. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I think that reflects the basic truth (which quite a few on hear fail to appreciate) that to an awful lot of railway modellers (or just plain old profiteers) have never heard of (or who don't rate anything) not produced by Hornby.

There is admittedly also the fact that at so far we have only had the departmental and GWR versions arrive, but to be honest I don't expect the arrival of further liveries to be accompanied by an outbreak of e-bay selling for them either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I pre-ordered an item from Rails of Sheffield and they sent me a message asking me to update my card* details so that they could process the order. This I did and the order was processed straight away. *Usual thing, old card expired and renewed.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, craigowen1976 said:

One of the ironies is that I did update my card details when I placed an order back in July; I’d assumed they were for my account as a whole, rather than just that order.

When I entered by card details into their new payment system there was a tick-box for applying it to all pre-orders. Maybe you missed that ?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Because the profiteers are practised at acquiring Hornby stuff in quantities that allow them to exploit supply issues that happen frequently enough that they will seldom come unstuck.

They know their market and what they can milk from it but won't be certain that "Hatton's Collectors" exist or just how much cash they might be prepared to throw at servicing their FOMO. 

John

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just ordered another three, now there is some left stock a tri-composite , another 4 and 6 wheel third.

Could'nt resist this.

I did not preordered the tri-composite but it looks great too, so now I did,

Have now a rake of 12 behind 4-4-0 City of London.

Now awaiting for my SR and SECR ones.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My generator arrived this morning. As previously notedbthe box is small but no discernable damage or anything loose. Nice little coach, if you don't linger on it the printed vents aren't too bad. For the price anyway. The centre axle is very effective around R2 but it is a bit strange watching the axle boxes move side to side!

Only real issue is the grey is a bit green - which the camera doesn't seem to capture...

20221004_121511.jpg

I have just found something that surprised me - the lamp brightness varies with track voltage. I'm surprised it doesn't use a Zener or something to keep them at a constant (low) brightness.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1